The Killing Joke

How do you survive as a lone wolf?

In regards to surviving how would you guys recommend getting practice with various guns, for example the CZ550.

I made the fun mistake of using a zed on the edge of town as practice, not only did i miss but i had to contend with a mini horde of 6 bearing down on me! That gun is loud!!

the general rule is, don't shoot unless you really have to and preferably when you are sure to have the option to go inside somewhere, and have enough bullets to possibly kill up to 30 zeds (zombies) that were "activated" after your shooting.

also, the lee enfield rifle has a far greater noise radius than the other weapons. using that will certainly engulf you with zeds. most players tend to leave that weapon when they come across it. shame though, one less option.

the general rule is' date=' don't shoot unless you really have to and preferably when you are sure to have the option to go inside somewhere, and have enough bullets to possibly kill up to 30 zeds (zombies) that were "activated" after your shooting.

also, the lee enfield rifle has a far greater noise radius than the other weapons. using that will certainly engulf you with zeds. most players tend to leave that weapon when they come across it. shame though, one less option.

[/quote']

Try the Barrett .50 cal (M107) it pulls Z aggro from 700m !

Don't use a sniper rifle anywhere near a town. They are extremely loud and with zeds' increased hearing range now you will most likely... well you found out hehe.

I would practice right after I had died. That way I have nothing really to lose. Pick a town, but not someplace heavily traveled. Get on a hilltop a couple hundred yards from the nearest zed. Make sure you have some concealment and pick a zed or a spot on a house. Fire away. You will die with this character quickly most likely, but the purpose of that character's life is to practice and not necessarily to survive.

Playing solo I feel your best bet is to head inland straight away (which is even easier at night becasue most people won't be able to see you and you shouldn't need flares to find your way) and stop at the first town you come across to stock up. There's less zeds and less of a chance you'll run into hostile players.

Some of my tactics:

Always carry food and water and if you find an area with lots of cans, drink one and take the rest with you, same with food, if you're near the red, eat and take what's left. You won't need to drink or eat for a while and you've just stocked up on what you've used.

If you find a road, that can be used to find your location, follow it but stay around 50m either side of it, Do NOT run down the middle of the road as I've seen other players doing.

If you're spotted by a zombie in a town you can run inside and they'll slowly walk, you don't have that choice if you happen to meet one/two in open ground but you can lose them, head for a forest or an area with a lot of trees and keep on running right through it, they will eventually lose sight of you and you can carry on as normal. You MUST be very careful if you're in this position, you are making lots of noise and are a huge target for a bandit so once you're clear find an area that has some cover and wait, make sure you're not being tracked, take as long as you need then move on.

Only fire your weapon when you have no other choice, killing that 1 zombie might be easy but you could have attracted the attention of a bandit/survivor who needs food/water and some will kill you to get it.

Stop and listen, you'll be surprised what you can hear when you're stopped and listening to your surroundings, I was tracking a guy earlier to see what he was up to and he had no idea I was even watching him.

Always crouch, I don't think I've ever stood upright yet. Prone if you have to cross open ground and wait, don't automatically assume it's OK just to run across. Use the tree line if necessary.

Go to bed and play in the morning.

Run through major cities popping flares left and right bro.

But in all serious, it's nothing more than being patient/cautious when you're alone, in the end it could just be bad luck that someone spots and shoots/follows you, it's alot more relaxed running with a group cause you feel safer in numbers.

Also making sure you have enough supplies. Basically I always make sure I have 1 food/water on me at all times, 5 mags for my DMR, Frag grenades and meds. Finding your way around is easy if you pick a route and follow it.

It basically just comes down to being paranoid that another player has seen/is watching you.