SFRGaming

AK Magpul stuff

Why no AK magpul furniture?

Argument: If the M4 can have it then the AK should most definitely as well.

Edited by SFRGaming

Magpul-AK-Furniture-Polymer.jpg

Edited by SFRGaming

Some military personnel use or have used Magpul products. Esp. magazines and mostly in Western forces.

However, these Magpul AK products were designed for the commercial market, particularly in the US, and it would not be appropriate to have them on Chernarussian and Russian service rifles (cue people digging up photos of Russians using Magpul products). Particularly those ugly 'Zhukov' handguards. Which is not to say that troops here and there may have purchased various aftermarket parts and been allowed to install them on their rifles.

The argument isn't compelling. We don't need "brand X" AK furniture just because the M4A1 has "brand X" AR furniture. Already the average AK in this game is far too tricked out.

It kind of is compelling. I think if you're going to have magpul for the AR, then you pretty much have to have it for the AK as well. Why wouldn't you? If you want to get technical, there would be more chance to find magpul AK furniture in a combloc country rather than AR. 

Plus, the Russian Alpha team has used magpul furniture ever since it hit the market

1 hour ago, SFRGaming said:

It kind of is compelling. I think if you're going to have magpul for the AR, then you pretty much have to have it for the AK as well.

That's where you lose me. It's a brand. These items provide no unique in-game functions. We also have a Troy stock for the M4A1, that doesn't mean we 'pretty much have to have' Troy's AK forend. We have a Midwest Industries' AK handguard and top cover, doesn't mean we also need to have Midwest Industries' two-piece AR forend.

If someone said "M4 has a scope, AK needs a scope" that makes sense because a scope provides a certain capability. These don't.

2 hours ago, SFRGaming said:

Why wouldn't you?

The average AK in this game is already too customized and it is not worth creating cosmetic parts only to have them spawn on a minute fraction of AKs, a minute fraction being the only way this would be somewhat acceptable. The vast majority of players should be using AKs configured 'as issued'.

If you want to get technical, there would be more chance to find magpul AK furniture in a combloc country rather than AR. 

Arguable when one of the common modifications seems to be AK to AR stock adapters. 

Plus, the Russian Alpha team has used magpul furniture ever since it hit the market

Not these Zhukov and MOE stocks and forends, which were only introduced summer 2015 (likely after the DayZ 'apocalypse' occurred). The most' common' mods involving Magpul products and Russian or Eastern European troops seem to be fitting the MOE AR stock and/or a Magpul foregrip.

Then by that logic, the AR magpul furniture serves no purpose. But according to how the game's firearms work, they do. The AR magpul furniture gives you the greatest ergonomics and accuracy. So theoretically, the AK magpul furniture would do the same, making them useful.

The only reason the AK to AR stock adapter is popular is because it gives you a rugged adjustable stock that fits all body types. Me personally I use the MOE stock because it's the right length for me and I like being able to retain the ability to store the factory cleaning kit in the stock.

If you really want nitpick the AK furniture, then it should be impossible to add the folding stocks to the AKM and solid stocks to the AK74 / AK101 / AKS74U due to having to completely swap the rear trunnion IRL to do that.

Edited by SFRGaming

Then by that logic, the AR magpul furniture serves no purpose. But according to how the game's firearms work, they do. The AR magpul furniture gives you the greatest ergonomics and accuracy. So theoretically, the AK magpul furniture would do the same, making them useful.

The only reason the AK to AR stock adapter is popular is because it gives you a rugged adjustable stock that fits all body types. Me personally I use the MOE stock because it's the right length for me and I like being able to retain the ability to store the factory cleaning kit in the stock.

If you really want nitpick the AK furniture, then it should be impossible to add the folding stocks to the AKM and solid stocks to the AK74 / AK101 / AKS74U due to having to completely swap the rear trunnion IRL to do that.

The Magpul furniture should not provide those buffs in the first place—and being completely different firearms and furniture designs, even within the current DayZ-verse the same buffs may not apply to both.

I would like to nitpick the AKs, and have said they should be spawned as different variants (AKM, AKMS, AK74, AKS74, AK74M, etc). Also applies to the FAL... and other weapons.