Sign in to follow this  
Leegend

Base Building?

In the future maybe there could be base building... Maybe taking over a building and being allowed to board up the windows with wood from a tree or make your own treehouse. You could find a lockpick and lock all of your doors... I think that would be great.

You can more or less do that already.  I mean you can't board up windows yet, but you can lock doors and put your barrels in houses as well as use containers in the house as storage (I never tested to see if that type of storage was persistent or not)

14 hours ago, IkaikaKekai said:

You can more or less do that already.  I mean you can't board up windows yet, but you can lock doors and put your barrels in houses as well as use containers in the house as storage (I never tested to see if that type of storage was persistent or not)

I think the functionality is there to do this, but doesnt currently work in practice.

If they made it so that doors could be locked with a lockpick and NOT be opened by hitting them with an axe/gunshot, so you had to use a lock-pick (which were a really rare spawn) to open locked doors, we could in theory have semi-functioning secure base building on private hives (not on public as you could ghost inside).

Some more work/through needed around the lockpicking functionality and perhaps introduce a "key" and a "lockpick".  The key to lock up your base door and to allow easy access in and out of it.  The lockpick to unlock doors which you dont have a key for (Only have a small chance to unlock a door and be ruined after 10 tries?).  

Wardrobes/fridges dont function anymore and reset their persistence at server restart when they did.

They would also have to limit what building/zones you could do this in.

13 minutes ago, edoian said:

I think the functionality is there to do this, but doesnt currently work in practice.

If they made it so that doors could be locked with a lockpick and NOT be opened by hitting them with an axe/gunshot, so you had to use a lock-pick (which were a really rare spawn) to open locked doors, we could in theory have semi-functioning secure base building on private hives (not on public as you could ghost inside).

Some more work/through needed around the lockpicking functionality and perhaps introduce a "key" and a "lockpick".  The key to lock up your base door and to allow easy access in and out of it.  The lockpick to unlock doors which you dont have a key for (Only have a small chance to unlock a door and be ruined after 10 tries?).  

Wardrobes/fridges dont function anymore and reset their persistence at server restart when they did.

They would also have to limit what building/zones you could do this in.

For the lock picking I would much prefer to have a minigame for it. Let me set up a scenario.

You build a base and find some chains and a pad lock. 

A bandit comes to your base and sees the lock.

Bandit then attempts to pick the lock, but has to complete a minigame to unlock the lock successfully. (It takes time to pick the lock)(It will increase the danger of looting a base as you will have to stand still for a minute or so)(Lastly the lockpicks break for every unsuccessful try)

A caveat to locks is there would be different kinds of locks cheap ones which can be broken with axes and saws. And other stronger stainless steel locks. (It would be harder and take longer to break)(If a lock is being broken into it would be very loud and gain attention of the base occupants)

I don't think the lockpick/key only thing is a good idea.  It makes things a bit too secure, which shouldn't be a thing.  There should always be the fear that you can lose everything, it shouldn't be like Epoch where you can place your own personal concrete bunker down wherever you want and have a unhackable biometric lock.  Think about it, with a lockpick someone can lock down just about every building in Cherno or Electro and no one can loot.

Not to say that breaking into someone's base should be as easy as putting a round in the doorknob or smacking it once with a sledgehammer.  Depending on the door and maybe a couple other factors it should take a few shots to break the lock and a few heavy hits with a sledge to break it down.  Barricading doors, boarding them up, or reinforcing them should add on to this.  Maybe even being able to say, take a steel door from a military base and putting it onto the cabin or building you're using for a base.

One thing I think is that when we 'take over' a building it should no longer spawn items inside (but anything that's inside will stay till it's 'reclaimed'), that way you can't just barricade and make a barracks into a base and keep looting weapons and ammo, but, say I take over a cabin in the middle of no where, stop playing for a week (or however long persistence will be) then my lock, barricades, stored items, ect will disappear.  I also think that when they get persistence to actually be persistent they should make cupboards and other 'world containers' last for say 2-3 days when items are placed into them and the building isn't claimed, that way I could stash some loot in a house in the city and maybe come back later to get it without having to worry about a restart wiping it.

2 hours ago, IkaikaKekai said:

I don't think the lockpick/key only thing is a good idea.  It makes things a bit too secure, which shouldn't be a thing.  There should always be the fear that you can lose everything, it shouldn't be like Epoch where you can place your own personal concrete bunker down wherever you want and have a unhackable biometric lock.  Think about it, with a lockpick someone can lock down just about every building in Cherno or Electro and no one can loot.

Not to say that breaking into someone's base should be as easy as putting a round in the doorknob or smacking it once with a sledgehammer.  Depending on the door and maybe a couple other factors it should take a few shots to break the lock and a few heavy hits with a sledge to break it down.  Barricading doors, boarding them up, or reinforcing them should add on to this.  Maybe even being able to say, take a steel door from a military base and putting it onto the cabin or building you're using for a base.

One thing I think is that when we 'take over' a building it should no longer spawn items inside (but anything that's inside will stay till it's 'reclaimed'), that way you can't just barricade and make a barracks into a base and keep looting weapons and ammo, but, say I take over a cabin in the middle of no where, stop playing for a week (or however long persistence will be) then my lock, barricades, stored items, ect will disappear.  I also think that when they get persistence to actually be persistent they should make cupboards and other 'world containers' last for say 2-3 days when items are placed into them and the building isn't claimed, that way I could stash some loot in a house in the city and maybe come back later to get it without having to worry about a restart wiping it.

I agree with you. But no where did I say locks should be impenetrable. What I said is there should be varying types of locks. With different durability and lock picking difficulties. I was thinking more in line of how the Fallout series used locks. 

The purpose of a lock picking minigames would increase the danger of looting someone's base. Since the player would have to sit still and pick the lock. Which would be the quiet way. There will always be the loud way shoot the lock, sledgehammer, saw, etc...I never said lock picking is the only way. It would be the best way since it would be silent. 

Edited by Kronons

I was speaking in response to edoian.  But yeah, it would be kinda cool if they added a lock picking mini game, otherwise you can just lock/unlock doors with a mouse scroll and click.  Would make it so there's a minor risk involved since you'll be busy lock picking, but maybe less dangerous than just shooting out locks or bashing doors. (when zombies and stealth mechanics are working properly)  Although some doors should be able to be locked from one side without a lockpick/key.  This mechanic could also be used to make 'prisons'.  Claim a building as your own, pick a room, use a screwdriver to swap the knob around and use it to keep prisoners/zombies.

this would only work if, they stop the respawn where you are.. I mean.. that if you come to a door you cant open in this map. log out go to another map, go into the room, and log out, and go back to the old map, bingo your in the room.. this needs to stop..

make it like Minecraft.. in that when you log into any server you spawn in a random spot.. to spawn in a certain location, you must have a bed their in that map.. (ie if you create a base, and set up a bed, that is your new spawn location.. but any other server will result in a random spawn or you can create a spawn point for yourself, (maybe you can add your friend to it.. )

just a thought