Sign in to follow this  
Wili

Loot balance and locations.

I think the quantity and maybe quality of the loot should be tied to the number of players the server has, the quantity of loot shouldn't vary too much regardless if you are playing on a full server or in a low population server.

This would help balancing the loot I think:

Very low populated servers 10 players or less - > 25 % of loot spawning  (no high end weapons)

Low populated servers 10 to 30 players -> 40 % of loot spawning (no high end weapons)

Medium populated servers 30 to 45 -> 70% of loot spawning

High populated servers 45 to 60 -> 100 % loot spawning

The Central Economy when replaces old loot and spawn new loot I think it should take in account the number of players, right now if you join an empty server it would be full of loot, If you play a full server there will be almost no loot, this encourages serverhopping on public servers and the less the risk the higher the reward, it should be the opposite. 

There's a huge imbalance between Public and Private servers regarding the loot, that way is hard to balance the loot.

Tying the loot to the number of players would make serverhopping less profitable because empty servers wouldn't have so much loot.

Avoiding transport of items used for storage like tents or barrels from one server to another. You can take a barrel or tent from an empty server and set it up in your favourite full server.

Regarding loot locations and type of loot:

I think there are just a few unique areas with unique loot:

- Military bases.

- New military contaminated base. 

- Helicrash

- Prison Island.

- Broken Ship (Rify)   The loot in this one isn't really different to any place around the coast.

- Castles

It would be nice to have more unique locations with unique loot, apart of military loot, for example:

- Shopping center   (you would have a higher chance of finding cloth, backpacks, etc)

- Camping site (with a higher chance of finding tents)

- Civilian Gun Stores  (maybe 1 or 2 in all chernarus where there will be a high chance of finding a civil weapon and ammo)

- Huge junk yard ( 1 big junkyard where there would be the best place for your group to find wheels, metal for building your base, etc)

- Auto repair shop (maybe 1 or 2) with a higher chance of finding car related tools.

- Medical Center ( 1 big medical center that would have a high quantity and quality of medical items)

I think it should be a unique place with unique loot for each type of item you are looking for (tents, cloth, weapons, survival items, medical items, materials, etc) That would keep the players moving around the map and would create more hot spots.

Players today are moving from the coast to military places only, once you get to the military bases you will find the best items in game and there will be no incentive to keep the players moving. The game needs more hot spots, apart of military sites there's no other places for the players to go, the loot is the same for the rest of the map, no matter where you are, the city you are in will have the same items and buildings than the next city, there's no "let's go to the shopping center" or le'ts go to here and there, it's just moving from one military camp to another.

Maybe it's still early but I think the loot needs balancing, I will talk only about Private servers because loot in Public servers are really hard to balance because of the serverhopping:

I think there is too much food in the game:      

- Remove apples and Berries from the game or make the trees and bushes deplete after gathering a few apples/berries. (you can just make a macro, leave the game for a while and when you come back the food would not be a problem anymore, if people doesn't take apples or berries is because is really boring.)

- There's too much canned food.

- Planting food shouldn't take 10 minutes or so,  it should be something like 24 hours for the plant to grow up, 24 hours more for being able to gather the food and 6 hours more or so the food being rotten.

- Ponds should deplete when fishing, for example if nobody has doing fishing in one pond for a lot of time there should be a lot of fish in that pond, after catching some fishes the pond should deplete or give less chance of getting fish and start recovering fish after some hours.

I think there is too much military loot in game:

- I think helicrashes shouldn't respawn loot. I think the Helicrash should spawn with loot, once the Helicrash is been looted there will not respawn any more loot, the loot will remain intact until the helicrash gets despawned and spawned with fresh loot somewhere else.

- Same for police cars, maybe improve the loot on police cars but the loot shouldn't respawn until the police car spawn in another location.

- Too much weapons and ammo in general, I think the quantity should be cut but let us store what we find, storage capacity is really low on tents, barrels, etc. Also it's easier to find high end weaponry than civil weapons.

- Too much military clothing, once players go to a military camp all the players will end looking the same.

About loot that nobody uses:

I think players should spawn with random clothes like the pants with two slots, short pants, medical clothing, flashy clothes, etc because nobody is looting pants  that has less slots than the jeans the player spawns with, for example.

Zombies now wear random clothes, I think it should be the same for fresh spawns.

What do you think about the loot, distribution, quantity, loot locations etc?

Edited by Wili

Once a player goes to military bases there are no incentive for moving to other areas other than helicrashes or other military areas, you will find plenty of food in military bases, lots of tents (I think the only tent that should respawn there is the military tent), best clothing in game (you will find any type, colour and condition you want), best backpacks and best weapons in game.

Please consider making a shopping mall as suggested many times where you would find best tents in game, best backpacks,good clothing so the players have a real incentive to go there. Gun stores would be another incentive to move around the map, scrapyards (with a good chance of finding barrels and basebuilding materials for example), etc, the game needs more unique locations with exclusive loot in it.

The loot in the residential areas is too plain, no matter which city you visit, the loot is always the same, there is no "north airfield" for civil equipment, if you're after civil loot you can just visit the city near your favourite military area (at the moment there's no need for civil loot after you visited a military base)

I think the concept of travelling north for progressing is wrong, players should be moving around the map, most of the map is wasted because of this idea, there is no progress anyway, once you get into a military area you will find the best of everything and plenty of it with the exception of  maybe vehicles, so why bother going anywhere else?

Edited by Wili

On 7/15/2016 at 4:33 PM, Wili said:

I think the quantity and maybe quality of the loot should be tied to the number of players the server has, the quantity of loot shouldn't vary too much regardless if you are playing on a full server or in a low population server.

This would help balancing the loot I think:

Very low populated servers 10 players or less - > 25 % of loot spawning  (no high end weapons)

Low populated servers 10 to 30 players -> 40 % of loot spawning (no high end weapons)

Medium populated servers 30 to 45 -> 70% of loot spawning

High populated servers 45 to 60 -> 100 % loot spawning

The Central Economy when replaces old loot and spawn new loot I think it should take in account the number of players, right now if you join an empty server it would be full of loot, If you play a full server there will be almost no loot, this encourages serverhopping on public servers and the less the risk the higher the reward, it should be the opposite. 

There's a huge imbalance between Public and Private servers regarding the loot, that way is hard to balance the loot.

Tying the loot to the number of players would make serverhopping less profitable because empty servers wouldn't have so much loot.

Avoiding transport of items used for storage like tents or barrels from one server to another. You can take a barrel or tent from an empty server and set it up in your favourite full server.

Regarding loot locations and type of loot:

I think there are just a few unique areas with unique loot:

- Military bases.

- New military contaminated base. 

- Helicrash

- Prison Island.

- Broken Ship (Rify)   The loot in this one isn't really different to any place around the coast.

- Castles

It would be nice to have more unique locations with unique loot, apart of military loot, for example:

- Shopping center   (you would have a higher chance of finding tents, cloth, backpacks, etc)

- Civilian Gun Stores  (maybe 1 or 2 in all chernarus where there will be a high chance of finding a civil weapon and ammo)

- Huge junk yard ( 1 big junkyard where there would be the best place for your group to find wheels, metal for building your base, etc)

- Medical Center ( 1 big medical center that would have a high quantity and quality of medical items)

I think it should be a unique place with unique loot for each type of item you are looking for (tents, cloth, weapons, survival items, medical items, materials, etc) That would keep the players moving around the map and would create more hot spots.

Players today are moving from the coast to military places only, once you get to the military bases you will find the best items in game and there will be no incentive to keep the players moving. The game needs more hot spots, apart of military sites there's no other places for the players to go, the loot is the same for the rest of the map, no matter where you are, the city you are in will have the same items and buildings than the next city, there's no "let's go to the shopping center" or le'ts go to here and there, it's just moving from one military camp to another.

Maybe it's still early but I think the loot needs balancing, I will talk only about Private servers because loot in Public servers are really hard to balance because of the serverhopping:

I think there is too much food in the game:      

- Remove apples and Berries from the game or make the trees and bushes deplete after gathering a few apples/berries. (you can just make a macro, leave the game for a while and when you come back the food would not be a problem anymore, if people doesn't take apples or berries is because is really boring.)

- There's too much canned food.

- Planting food shouldn't take 10 minutes or so,  it should be something like 24 hours for the plant to grow up, 24 hours more for being able to gather the food and 6 hours more or so the food being rotten.

- Ponds should deplete when fishing, for example if nobody has doing fishing in one pond for a lot of time there should be a lot of fish in that pond, after catching some fishes the pond should deplete or give less chance of getting fish and start recovering fish after some hours.

I think there is too much military loot in game:

- I think helicrashes shouldn't respawn loot. I think the Helicrash should spawn with loot, once the Helicrash is been looted there will not respawn any more loot, the loot will remain intact until the helicrash gets despawned and spawned with fresh loot somewhere else.

- Same for police cars, maybe improve the loot on police cars but the loot shouldn't respawn until the police car spawn in another location.

- Too much weapons and ammo in general, I think the quantity should be cut but let us store what we find, storage capacity is really low on tents, barrels, etc. Also it's easier to find high end weaponry than civil weapons.

- Too much military clothing, once players go to a military camp all the players will end looking the same.

About loot that nobody uses:

I think players should spawn with random clothes like the pants with two slots, short pants, medical clothing, flashy clothes, etc because nobody is looting pants  that has less slots than the jeans the player spawns with, for example.

Zombies now wear random clothes, I think it should be the same for fresh spawns.

What do you think about the loot, distribution, quantity, loot locations etc?

3 hours ago, Wili said:

Once a player goes to military bases there are no incentive for moving to other areas other than helicrashes or other military areas, you will find plenty of food in military bases, lots of tents (I think the only tent that should respawn there is the military tent), best clothing in game (you will find any type, colour and condition you want), best backpacks and best weapons in game.

Please consider making a shopping mall as suggested many times where you would find best tents in game, best backpacks,good clothing so the players have a real incentive to go there. Gun stores would be another incentive to move around the map, scrapyards (with a good chance of finding barrels and basebuilding materials for example), etc, the game needs more unique locations with exclusive loot in it.

The loot in the residential areas is too plain, no matter which city you visit, the loot is always the same, there is no "north airfield" for civil equipment, if you're after civil loot you can just visit the city near your favourite military area (at the moment there's no need for civil loot after you visited a military base)

I think the concept of travelling north for progressing is wrong, players should be moving around the map, most of the map is wasted because of this idea, there is no progress anyway, once you get into a military area you will find the best of everything and plenty of it with the exception of  maybe vehicles, so why bother going anywhere else?

I'm not sure how long you have been following Dayz. Brian Hicks has talked about the loot economy many times. They are constantly tweaking and fixing spawns. If you look it up you will find answers to a lot of your questions. You will also see why they have moved from Dayz mod trigger type loot distribution to central hive loot distribution. 

2 hours ago, Kronons said:

I'm not sure how long you have been following Dayz. Brian Hicks has talked about the loot economy many times. They are constantly tweaking and fixing spawns. If you look it up you will find answers to a lot of your questions. You will also see why they have moved from Dayz mod trigger type loot distribution to central hive loot distribution. 

I've been following Dayz from the beginning, don't get me wrong, I think the loot economy is the best system I've seen in any videogame of his kind, most, if not all games of that kind just respawns the same loot over and over in the same place. It also is designed for keeping a good performance in the server because the resources won't be unlimited like rust for example where they need to wipe the server from time to time because of it.

The thing I don't like and I would like to see it improved is they need to make the players travel around the map, the game is designed for travelling north west, once you are there there will be no incentives to keep moving back and forward, that's why I suggested there should be a place for finding the best tents in game (like a camping site), other places for finding the best backpacks, other places for best basebuilding items, etc so the players keep moving around the map. At least now all the best items in game are all concentrated in military bases, so there's no point on keep moving.

Edited by Wili

3 minutes ago, Wili said:

I've been following Dayz from the beginning, don't get me wrong, I think the loot economy is the best system I've seen in any videogame of his kind, most, if not all games of that kind just respawns the same loot over and over in the same place. It also is designed for keeping a good performance in the server because the resources won't be unlimited like rust for example when they need to wipe the server from time to time because of it.

The thing I don't like and I would like to see it improved is they need to make the players travel around the map, the game is designed for travelling north west, once you are there there will be no incentives to keep moving back and forward, that's why I suggested there should be a place for finding the best tents in game, other places for finding the best backpacks, other places for best basebuilding items, etc so the players keep moving around the map. At least now all the best items in game are all concentrated in military bases, so there's no point on keep moving.

I agree with the movement of players on the map. That is why there are multiple military bases/air strips across the map. For the current version of the game there isn't any incentives as of yet. The only one I can think of is the creation of a ghille suit. You have to go inland to get burlap sacks and also go to the coast to get netting. I think once the crafting gets more refinement we will see better movements in-game. I also agree with spawning items where they should be spawned. I believe they are working towards what you stated. Good example is the new zombies/infected. You now see military zombies at military locations or see doctor/nurse zombies at hospitals. As they move forward they will refine it and make it work.