Sign in to follow this  
atempleton

Shotgun Reliability

I am currently confused as to how to use shotguns effectively and how they function in the new patch. Today, I took one shot to the torso at point blank range, whilst wearing a worn assault vest and being fully healthy, and died instantly. Later on, I shot a survivor who was wearing no vest at a distance of 1m directly in the center of the torso, and they merely moaned in pain and turned around and shot me.

So how does this work, and what is it that I'm doing wrong with shotguns so as to why they are so unreliable?

Problem your having is due to you expecting the gun to work like they would in real life.

im not going to bother picking them up until they more effective at close range.

shot a player at point blank range in the chest yesterday which did nothing except make him bleed.

The main problem as said in the video, they do no outright damage to blood and health. They will break limbs but cause no damage. Being shot in the chest or head results in a shock-like damage that will cause instant kills most of the time. If you aren't insta-killed you can recover the shock and hidden damage in seconds with a splint/morphine because you don't actually have to regen blood.