drewmaw

Elite Skins (Survivors and Bandits)

Upon living for a certain number of days, or meeting a certain number of requirements to "become elite", it would nice if there's a 2nd skin available to Survivalists and a 2nd skin for Bandits. It would just be nice to have the added benefit of being able to recognize those characters who are grizzled and have seen many days of hard-fought survival, or in the case of bandits, serial killings.

For Survivalists, the key to an elite survivalist skin is that it needs to increase camo benefits, but while maintaining an uncovered face. An outfit that a survivalist might throw together based on all the dead military personel he's come across:

arma_screenshot_2006_37_FI4.jpg

RH_Aks_pack2.jpg

For Bandits, the ghillie suit is an obvious choice:

role_sniper_spotter.jpg

or even:

RH_Aks_pack4.jpg

Neat idea, though it should probably have been posted in the suggestion section.

I personally think having a variety of skins from the very beginning would be best. Or perhaps a system that starts everybody as a "wonderer" and can grow into either a survivor or bandit based on their actions. For example:

Upon loading in as a new character, all players are in civilian clothing, very basic stuff. Depending on their actions and how they chose to survive, they can then either turn into a "survivor" or a "bandit" - each status boasting a variety of different skins randomly assigned upon the change. If someone spend their time sneaking through towns and scavenging rather than murdering to get by, they become a survivor - and vice versa.

That said, I believe rocket has stated that the bandit skin alone has been a pain in the ass, not sure if we'll see more development on that front for a while.

I really like the idea of elite skins for long-time survivors and bandits, but ghillie suit is more like a good survivor outfit, not a bandit at all.

In general, bandits are meant to be more like CQ fighters. So they definitely need a urban-camo, maybe the russian urban camo: Russian Gorod urban camo suit

These people will probably attract most murderers just for the thrill. I'm certain they would love to get trophies too for killing a veteran.

I really like the idea of elite skins for long-time survivors and bandits' date=' but ghillie suit is more like a good survivor outfit, not a bandit at all.

In general, bandits are meant to be more like CQ fighters. So they definitely need a urban-camo, maybe the russian urban camo: Russian Gorod urban camo suit

[/quote']

Urban Camo?

Sorry is the desert camo in a woodland map not already easy enough to spot? :/

The current bandit skin swapping is using a lot of recourses and causing strain on the servers already, adding more wouldn't be the best, well at least for now.

The current bandit skin swapping is using a lot of recourses and causing strain on the servers already' date=' adding more wouldn't be the best, well at least for now.

[/quote']

I would suggest solving this with a suggestion that you never swap to the "elite" skins. But rather if your character meets the criteria you spawn with the new skin when you join a server.

All I know is that if you're an ELITE survivor you better have a goddamn BEARD!!!,.. no razor blades in the wasteland haha

I hope they just add a lot more skins overall, especially to differentiate survivors. (And maybe add some sort of high humanity skin)

I'm shocked Rocket was even able to get any sort of skin swap since that was never in the original game without backing out and selecting a different slot.

You guys are asking for too much from the mod.

Why does the skin swap have to happen instantly? Why cant it happen on respawn? woulden't that be a lot easier and less resource intensive?

The current bandit skin swapping is using a lot of recourses and causing strain on the servers already' date=' adding more wouldn't be the best, well at least for now.

[/quote']

I would suggest solving this with a suggestion that you never swap to the "elite" skins. But rather if your character meets the criteria you spawn with the new skin when you join a server.

Exactly!

All I know is that if you're an ELITE survivor you better have a goddamn BEARD!!!' date='.. no razor blades in the wasteland haha

[/quote']

You can change your face in the profile editor in the main menu o.O

Why does the skin swap have to happen instantly? Why cant it happen on respawn? woulden't that be a lot easier and less resource intensive?

I'm willing to bet that since Rocket has already figured out how to do this, it would be easier to replicate with further modification.

If anyone has watched bashur's stream, they have camo skins they use and they said rocket is on their comms sometimes and gives them stuff like that. The skins look pretty neat, really hard to see them in if they are proned and such. They said they lose them when they die but rocket said he would give them back to them.

I like this idea, but I'd rather have a selectable skin interface instead of karma-based skins.

Rocket has confirmed that choseable (or at least more varied) skins are coming later on down the road.

If we are going to get choosable skins, then we might need some achievement mechanic.

So lets say I have (or had) survivor character with 20-30 hours online, then I can choose top-tier ghillie suit as my primary skin.

Don't know if its possible to create such mechanic though. But that would be nice :)

Elite skins would rock! Like everyone said, the skins you chose in the OP are bad. But the idea is good!

Arma III ain't far away and has skin selection built into the engine so I'm guessing that would be an appropriate time to add in selectable clothing...

If we are going to get choosable skins' date=' then we might need some achievement mechanic.

So lets say I have (or had) survivor character with 20-30 hours online, then I can choose top-tier ghillie suit as my primary skin.

Don't know if its possible to create such mechanic though. But that would be nice :)

[/quote']

Why not just find a ghille suit which you can carry in your pack? I don't really agree with the "achievement" system you are proposing. Since this is a mod that tries to be realistic, then it would highly unlikely that just because a character has been alive for this long or has killed this many Zeds; should all of a sudden be given ghillie suits and military grade equipment and what not.

Arma III ain't far away and has skin selection built into the engine so I'm guessing that would be an appropriate time to add in selectable clothing...

Gotcha, that's true. I wonder how long after ARMA III will DayZ be released?