Sloper

DayZ: The Do's and Dont's.

Survivors and Bandits! Sprinters and Monkey-Zeds! May i present too you!

The (un)Official DayZ: Do's and Dont's Guide!

The (un)Official DayZ: Do's and Dont's Guide!

In this thread, which will change every few days with new rules (Rules are a must to be a smart survivor), new tips and common sense "Indicators". Updated by myself Sloper.

If you think i neglect to mention something, want something added, want to question one of my rules. Go for it. This is a community guide to help new, veteran and the certain Tallahasse (Peoples whos business is kicking ass, and business is a booming) players amongst us. You may know most of them, some may be a surprise or a "never crossed my mind" thing, but hey. Were only human...until we get bit!

To sum up DayZ I took a quote of an awesome player called Jrod who quoted Rocket, and added his own "twist" to it, summed it up pretty damn well i think:-

Neither' date=' this is a survival mod. The elements of zombies (limited intelligence) and other humans (intelligent and unpredictable) is about as real as you can get given the scenario prescribed: "Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape, using whatever means you stumble upon to survive."

To add: You will have stories, trials, and tears. This game will produce events you will never have from other games. The suspense is constant. And its really about you and your actions.

[/quote']

So to find the shortest way of explaining DayZ is this (Again by the talented wordsmith Jrod):-

Day Z is a player versus everything' date=' survival horror mod, where humans are just as murderous as zombies.

[/quote']

After falling prey to easy scams by Pk'ers and being a new survivor, i soon picked up a few helpful and quite adequate rules i follow.

So without further delay, pull of a seat, open a can of beans and read on fellow survivors.

Rule 1: Never announce where you are on the map. Its a surfire way to get people tailing you.

Rule 2: When its dark. Avoid using Road flares or Chemlights. If you must throw one, skirt around the edge of its light radius. Pk'ers will be drawn into the prospect of an easy kill...and beans.

Editors note about light sources in the dark: You may get lucky and happen across a survivor group in a lit area, approach the light radius and announce to them you wish to join them and sit around the campfire. 9 times out of 10 they will be more than happy to let you sit and split a can of beans with you.

Rule 3: Before heading out into an open space I.E: Moving from a forest to open grassland. Stay at the treeline and survey the area. Think to yourself "If i was going to ambush me, where would i hide and where would i be watching?" 90% of the time, Pk'ers lying in wait will be looking south as you, from spawning, are heading north to escape the bean wars on the coast.

Rule 4: Fully-automatic weapons may seem like a boon in a zombie-infested town, but take due care when using. They are extremely loud. They will attract more Zeds than you can handle with two clips...Maybe even curious players.

Rule 5: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT FIRE A CZ 50 IN A CITY UNLESS YOU WANT A HORDE UP YOUR BUTT!

Rule 6: Hospitals are quite a nice place when you are ill. But take caution using the ones in DayZ. Granted, they have some medical supplies and blood-packs. But they (Sometimes) may be camped by Pk'ers. Medical supplies are quite a lure to those who need them. Move quick, grab what you can, run like hell.

Rule 7: After the morality update (Possibly before that) Announcing your approach used to be a good thing. DONT DO IT! You can always ask "Anyone at north Airfield?" If you get no response, a PK'er most likely will be waiting. If Someone responds "Im there, friendly?" Be cautious. TRUST NOONE EXEPT YOUR FRIENDS!

Rule 8: Weapons with SD in ther names are the cats pyjamas. Silenced weapons are a damn godsend if you need to navigate a city full of Zeds. Its the best low profile way of dispatching those pesky Zeds who persist in blocking your path. But be warned, Pk'ers at night-time favour Silenced weapons. Stick to the shadows...Unless they have NVG's, then your boned.

Rule 9: Whiskey bottles can be thrown. Use your smarts to lure Zeds away from your desired path with well placed bottle-smashes. Smoke Grenades work in the same way, exept with Sight, not sound.

Rule 10: People in white are bandits. Some of them may have been outlawed by dint of mistake, I:E. Defending themselved against PK'ers and got turned by accident. Please dont outright shoot these guys, just be very cautious.

Rule 11: When around other players, be VERY CAUTIOUS You may mean well, but they dont know that and vice versa. Try not to follow other players unless you have grouped, they will get edgy, this is where getting shot in the back is a bitch.

Rule 12: Need a quick way to orientate yourself on spawn? The coast is too the south...Roughly.

Rule 13: If you get a feeling you are being followed...You are.

Rule 14: Dead Zeds on the floor not killed by you? You are behind a player. I advise not to follow, people will ALWAYS watch their six (Ass) when traveling through towns.

Rule 15: Composite crossbows dont suck. I made this post in due-haste. Indeed they are a boon in a survivor group. Easy way to silently take out Zeds.

Editors Note: Not entierly sure if this is true. But i have been told the Ironsights for X-Bows are mighty innacurate. Apparently the shot pulls down to the left. Have a practice and learn to compensate.

Rule 16: If people are saying in side-chat "Im heading to (Location), dont go there. PK'ers will be scouting the area within minutes. You think the coast was bad? Wait till you go north...

Rule 17: Stay away from windows when going in Schools/Firestations/Airfield Towers. You have no idea how exposed you are. One the flipside, be careful of windows when moving in the open...Theyre watching you.

Rule 18: When you light a fire and cook your meat, make sure you extinguish it then pick it back up. It does not automatically happen.

Rule 19: Jerrycans hold 20L of fuel. Boats/Cars/Choppers have a max capacity of 60L fuel. Each 20L will fill 1/3 of your fuel-gauge. Carry a few spare Jerry cans in the vehicle's gear slot and fill them when you get a chance.

Useful Information:

Idiot's Guide to Gear/Inventory!

The Survival Series by [OCB]Magnet - INSTALLATION/TUTORIALS/GAMEPLAY

Day Z Survivor Guide

I hope i could provied some new players with some insight to the thinking of a survivor who has fallen prey to these situations before. Learn from your mistakes.

• Like 1

Hopefully everyone reads this thread. The tips may be extremely obvious to anyone with some sense of survival, but you'd be surprised how many people just get caught out in the open and killed/robbed and then complain about the game's PvP being broken.

I don't like your bandit rule. Just like other threads say, a lot of bandits have become bandits from self-defense. Your rule is just promoting normal Survivors to hunt bandits.

Hopefully everyone reads this thread. The tips may be extremely obvious to anyone with some sense of survival' date=' but you'd be surprised how many people just get caught out in the open and killed/robbed and then complain about the game's PvP being broken.

[/quote']

Lolyup.

Composite crossbows are an excellent noobie silenced weapon. They do not suck, and in a group of survivors, they are invaluable.

Great post. Instincts can get you a long way in Dayz, thats for sure. Survival of the fittest!

Rule 13: If you get a feeling you are being followed...You are.

./neversleepagain

Rule 10: People in white are bandits. Dont trust a thing they say' date=' they want your beans.

[/quote']

I am so tired of people labeling all bandits as malicious player killers. When in reality, most bandits are probably in their current state due to self defense. I don't know why people automatically assume a bandit had malicious intent when he got his kills, and his skin. They could have very well been from self defense, or friendly fire.

It just saddens me because when I eventually become a bandit due to defending myself, despite being a very friendly person, I'll have to kill everyone I meet in fear of initial judgement due to my skin.

I really don't think that's a good message to pass to new players, either. You should always judge on the individual based on themselves, and not how they appear, the guy in the PMC skin could be much worse than a guy in a bandit skin, with how the system is currently implemented, you just don't know.

Rule 9: Whiskey bottles can be thrown. Use your smarts to lure Zeds away from your desired path with well placed bottle-smashes. Smoke Grenades work in the same way' date=' exept with Sight, not sound.

[/quote']

Brilliant, I never realized that. I guess I'll have to make room in my pack now for a few empty bottles. Also, If you wanted to go to a certain area, say Rog Castle, you could throw off potential ambushers by saying "I'm going to (a different location), any friendlies there?" Hopefully this will draw bandits to that other area, making it safer to scavenge. Using global or side channels alone may lead them to believe you're a new player, and thus an easier kill. Just an idea.

Rule 10: People in white are bandits. Dont trust a thing they say' date=' they want your beans.

[/quote']

I am so tired of people labeling all bandits as malicious player killers. When in reality, most bandits are probably in their current state due to self defense. I don't know why people automatically assume a bandit had malicious intent when he got his kills, and his skin. They could have very well been from self defense, or friendly fire.

It just saddens me because when I eventually become a bandit due to defending myself, despite being a very friendly person, I'll have to kill everyone I meet in fear of initial judgement due to my skin.

I really don't think that's a good message to pass to new players, either. You should always judge on the individual based on themselves, and not how they appear, the guy in the PMC skin could be much worse than a guy in a bandit skin, with how the system is currently implemented, you just don't know.

I agree, it sucks being stereotyped like that.

I was leading around two survivors, trying to find medical supplies for one who was bleeding heavily, inviting other survivors to join, when some random bastard says that if he sees the group he'll shoot me for being a "bandit".

I got my skin from self defense!

Hopefully everyone reads this thread. The tips may be extremely obvious to anyone with some sense of survival' date=' but you'd be surprised how many people just get caught out in the open and killed/robbed and then complain about the game's PvP being broken.

[/quote']

Lolyup.

Composite crossbows are an excellent noobie silenced weapon. They do not suck, and in a group of survivors, they are invaluable.

[/quote']

[/quote']

I agree, it sucks being stereotyped like that.

I was leading around two survivors, trying to find medical supplies for one who was bleeding heavily, inviting other survivors to join, when some random bastard says that if he sees the group he'll shoot me for being a "bandit".

I got my skin from self defense!

Rule 15: Composite crossbows suck.

i have to disagree with a bit of practice u can get the bow working quite well if i remember correctly it pulls to the left when firing??

Taking into consideration, even at close range Ironsighted with Crossbows, i still missed a stationary Zed kinda gave me a bad start with them. I will amend my thoughts when i use it more.

As for the bandits i completly agree. I wrote that in due-haste as i have undergone the transformation to bandit when trying to defend myself. Now people see the white and shoot first, then ask questions. They really need to fix Direct Comms.

Storm the beaches of Cherno and repel the bean invaders. They are only here for our beans boys! Kill any bean thief's that you see spawn on the beach. Punish them ruthlessly and mercilessly for attempting to take our beans. The great Bean War of our generation is upon us!

My lesson was learned rather quickly so my tip is dont shoot bandits unless you have to.

Was looting a barn when suddenly a bandit entered with an m16 pointed at me. Made a quick decision to lower my gun tho common sense would be to kill him and nab his gun.

Turned out he was super friendly and he also had 2 friends in the bushes aiming at me. Ended up traveling with them for quite some time.

DO'S AND DONT'S V1.01 UPDATE

1. Amended

Rule 10 with regards to bandits

Rule 15 with regards to Crossbows

1. Added

Editors note regarding Crossbows

was sat in a house in Cherno earlier just as it got dark, refillin mah beans and shotty shells, outside on a long strip of open ground was a new player surrounded by two road flares just sitting there firing pot shots at zombies.

It did not surprise me when at the next moment a sniper round from the hospital planted itself in his face.

was sat in a house in Cherno earlier just as it got dark' date=' refillin mah beans and shotty shells, outside on a long strip of open ground was a new player surrounded by two road flares just sitting there firing pot shots at zombies.

It did not surprise me when at the next moment a sniper round from the hospital planted itself in his face.

[/quote']

I have to admit, i chuckled at that...quite a bit.

DO'S AND DONT'S V1.02 UPDATE

1. Amended

A few grammatical errors here and there.

1. Added

3 new rules, 17,18 and 19

I read through the tutorial (while my game downloads) and I'm bit confused. Most of the tips tell how to survive encounters with PK's.

Is this a zombie mod or team death match???

Neither, this is a survival mod. The elements of zombies (limited intelligence) and other humans (intelligent and unpredictable) is about as real as you can get given the scenario prescribed: "Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape, using whatever means you stumble upon to survive."

To add: You will have stories, trials, and tears. This game will produce events you will never have from other games. The suspense is constant. And its really about you and your actions.

Neither' date=' this is a survival mod. The elements of zombies (limited intelligence) and other humans (intelligent and unpredictable) is about as real as you can get given the scenario prescribed: "Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape, using whatever means you stumble upon to survive."

[/quote']

Jrod, may i put this in my initial post? That was well worded and summed up Survival in DayZ quite bluntly.

Go for it but its really direct quote and summary of rocket's words.

Something additional to add a bit more expectation if you want.

Day Z is a player versus everything, survival horror mod, where humans are just as murderous as zombies.

DayZ: Do's and Dont's Update V1.03

Amended: Introduction

Added: Quotes, more info regarding DayZ and this guide.

Thanks to: Jrod for the insightful quotes.

Editors Note: In-game i am skinned as a bandit, but it does not mean im bad. When im doing call-outs, please ask questions then shoot. Im having a very hard time getting off the coast without being PK'ed. If it persists? Im going to go all out Rambo on every person i see regardless.

Keep on supporting this thread and the mod overall.