PinkTaco24

Unless we get flags/effects for murder, this game will just be Deathmatch.

Oh it absolutely has to stay open, and I'm totally opposed to any penalties for PvP of any kind.

I just think it's far,far to easy to be a dick in this game at the moment. And I consider people sitting in Cherno, Elekrot, the Bean beaches sniping players who offer no threat and who they don't intend to loot to be dicks. They're just griefing, plain and simple.

So let's make it harder for them.

Oh it absolutely has to stay open, and I'm totally opposed to any penalties for PvP of any kind.

I just think it's far,far to easy to be a dick in this game at the moment. And I consider people sitting in Cherno, Elekrot, the Bean beaches sniping players who offer no threat and who they don't intend to loot to be dicks. They're just griefing, plain and simple.

So let's make it harder for them.

Its already hard for them. This ain't WoW with only one server. The person who just got griefed can go to another server, spawn get a weapon, go back to the area he was killed, despawn and spawn back into the original server. Then the griefer is now being hunted.

I've been shot spawning in a couple of times. I didn't go whining about it, I just went to another server, problem solved.

Edited by Alphie(SN)

There IS a penalty to killing players. Ammo lost.

if the zombies are numerous and strong, and even birth outside cities, and ammo is rarer (or simply fix the exploits as infinite ammo, log out with clip in half, or switching between .45 acp and M1911)

al loss of ammunition would be a "big lost"

Its already hard for them. This ain't WoW with only one server. The person who just got griefed can go to another server, spawn get a weapon, go back to the area he was killed, despawn and spawn back into the original server. Then the griefer is now being hunted.

I've been shot spawning in a couple of times. I didn't go whining about it, I just went to another server, problem solved.

the snipers can jump to another server after a kill too

People who say "We kill everyone in DayZ, because In a real apocalypse event, that's how it would happen." are wrong.

Objectively Wrong.

Players are killing for fun because they have an audience, with total anonymity, and no consequences for their actions. I'm willing to wager that if we played this same game in a giant internet cafe and all the players had their ID listed, gameplay would be very different than it is now.

Not to mention is cases of extreme threat, danger, and survival, in real life, humanity has pulled through based on the nature of brotherhood and morality. The antisocial presence was always and will always be the minority.

Also, in my personal speculation, it's summer and a lot of fail parents let their kids be asshats online because

1) their cluless/dont care

and

2) they don't think internet interactions count as social situations.

Parents don't teach their kids concepts like sportsmanship, playing for the love of the game, not the love of the win, winning/losing gracefully, and generally how not to be a dick.

Another clueless person. People banded together because the threat of other people killing them and taking their stuff was really high. In order to maintain order, they eventually formed what is known today as society. And in those societies, are governing structures. Try and pick up a basic philosophy book before spouting off nonsense. People killing each other after order in a society has broken down is pretty common.

People reform society eventually, but it takes time. The issue is that Rocket hasn't provided us enough tools in order for us to establish said societies, so it's very difficult for even the most organized of clans to form safe zones for new players, or to ward off the occasional bandit on the coast line.

Edited by allbusiness

My opinion: In an apocalypse situation, one should not be scared of other humans, it should be the greatest reward ever. Everyone should be scared of the zombies.

Reality: This is a game, so there is competition. The competition is who can stay alive longer. By killing others, you boost your rank. The Zombies are a slight nuisance at most and are often just a distraction.

In the future: Once the core gameplay mechanics are ironed out, I am sure Rocket will crank up the difficulty factor.

For now, we are just testing the core mechanics Rocket is adding to the game.

Edited by FunkyHermitCrab

Think I have to start saying this to a lot of threads at this rate, but please watch http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-09-watch-dean-rocket-halls-huge-rezzed-q-and-a-for-dayz if you haven't already. It describes the issues with dealing with the situation quite detailed and it might answer other questions you might have as well.

My opinion: In an apocalypse situation, one should not be scared of other humans, it should be the greatest reward ever. Everyone should be scared of the zombies.

Reality: This is a game, so there is competition. The competition is who can stay alive longer. By killing others, you boost your rank. The Zombies are a slight nuisance at most and are often just a distraction.

In the future: Once the core gameplay mechanics are ironed out, I am sure Rocket will crank up the difficulty factor.

For now, we are just testing the core mechanics Rocket is adding to the game.

Wrong. You'd be one of the first to die if you seriously think Zombies are the greatest threat. Zombies/Infected are the greatest threat in NUMBERS, but people fail to realize that for thousands of years the human has been the top predator of the whole fucking world for a damn reason. It's because humans have the intelligence to utilize tools, strategy, etc. to outwit their enemies, including other humans. Ultimately, humans WILL be your greatest enemy, period, because no matter how strong a Zombie/Infected is, it still has the intelligence level of an animal.

Think I have to start saying this to a lot of threads at this rate, but please watch http://www.eurogamer...-and-a-for-dayz if you haven't already. It describes the issues with dealing with the situation quite detailed and it might answer other questions you might have as well.

Exactly, it is not that Rocket doesn't understand that Bandits are a problem, it is that people keep forgetting that the GAME IS IN ALPHA. The tools for a player to create a sort of "safe zone" are not there yet, and will likely not be there until a standalone version is released. I think alot of people forget that when they are whining about bandits. Not just that, but it's not even like bandits are invincible. Most bandits are dumb and camp in very obvious sniping positions such as the large hill nearby Elektro that overlooks most of the city, including the Northern Firehouse and Southern Firehouse.

Edited by allbusiness

Today i log in inside a building(in one of the random servers) and first thing I see is 2 dead players in front of me. There were sounds of gunfire so quickly loot the bodies and went out the door a bit to take a peek. I noticed a few players was busy shooting each other so i quietly ran out and hide a few buildings away. To my surprise, there were no zeds around the area. The place became a warzone for humans only! In that moment, it's more Battlefield than DayZ. :lol:

Thanks for the clarifying link, Vipeax.

Just concluding, for everyone who thinks its unfair for players to sit in cherno or elektro killing people, play smart.

If you get shot once out of nothing, the next time you're there try to check for sniping spots, places where the killer might have been.

I think the check your 6 tip is pretty obvious.

If you died, it's because you did'nt pay enough attention.

About the bandits, they'll run out of supplies (either ammo or food and drinks), so they're not griefing in any way. They're just surviving and suppresing any possible threat.

Personally, I like to go to any major city, either elektro or cherno right when I spawn, crawling everywhere until i find a pistol or an axe. From then on, I walk away from cities, and tend to stay away from them as much as possible. My objective is to get good gear and then run into the city with my mates, helping people who need it and killing those who show agressive behaviour.

I basically say this in every thread: zombies need to be more of a threat. As of now, they're not a threat at all once you have any sort of weapon. They need to have more health, do more damage, have farther hearing detection from gunshots, and actually swarm players and slow them down when they hit them. Left 4 Dead style. It should be extremely hard to survive alone. Also, shouldn't this be in the suggestions forum?

I basically say this in every thread: zombies need to be more of a threat. As of now, they're not a threat at all once you have any sort of weapon. They need to have more health, do more damage, have farther hearing detection from gunshots, and actually swarm players and slow them down when they hit them. Left 4 Dead style. It should be extremely hard to survive alone. Also, shouldn't this be in the suggestions forum?

Yes because we certainly need the old Zombies of the broken patches where they'd 1 shot you under 10k health, break your legs at 85% rates, had super man x-ray vision, along with the ability to hear a country mile away. Oh, did I also mention that they also spawned at ridiculous rates too?

No matter how you spin it, DayZ is about player interaction. Period. Zombies are there merely as a tool to facilitate that player interaction.

Why would I be excited to meet and befriend a bad player? Most of the people I spot are exactly that. I don't want them in my group in the first place.

O.K Calm down children, as per usual these boards are filled with vile, stupid comments and comebacks.

If we as a community play the way we play, people die. whether this is choice of Banditry or accidedental ITF's (Itchy Trigger Fingers) it is what it is.

A GAME.

If you dont like it, find a server or make a group where you can play in the safety of your comfort zone. There are some out there or you could also find out who host's them and ask certain settings in game to ensure you get your Co-op experience. I have played on these servers and find after a while the game loses its appeal, having no threats bar Zeds is an altogether different experience betrays the point of an apocalypse.

Bring all the statistical data you want (Rocket likes statistics - a fact from his rezzed vid recently) but it wont change the game unless you make the change.

Either way, in game i wont shoot you, but i will avoid you!!

Think I have to start saying this to a lot of threads at this rate, but please watch http://www.eurogamer...-and-a-for-dayz if you haven't already. It describes the issues with dealing with the situation quite detailed and it might answer other questions you might have as well.

I have watched it already.

Other than 'its fine the way it is' he doesn't say much.

And, if he wants a deathmatch game.. then fine. That's what he gets. But at least admit it for what it is.

And, if he wants a deathmatch game.. then fine. That's what he gets. But at least admit it for what it is.

On 7th July 15.1374% of survival attempts had ended in murder - 1,599,557 murders in 10,566,935 survival attempts.

Today, 11th July, 14.3012% of survival attempts have ended in murder - 1,752,632 in 12,255,174 survival attempts.

Neither of those constitute a "deathmatch game" in which all attempts to survive would end in murder, and I absolutely love that the longer your ignorant ass stands around saying it, the less true it becomes.

Please let this asinine thread die already. i don't know why you felt the need to resurrect it in the first place with your 7-word reply to a 6-day-old post. It was tripe when you posted it and it's tripe today.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Other than 'its fine the way it is' he doesn't say much.

I must have dreamt about the blood parts and how a fixed skin like the bandit one didn't work as people became (permanent) bandits by others shooting at them first and after that none would trust them again and start fire-fights straight away and even sidechat talks didn't stop those.

It's a cool idea, but what is considered as "offensive action"? Also, does it simulate the effects of killing a shed load of people? I'm not going to go down the "omgz iz not relistc" route, but could there be another way of implementing a feature such as this. Maybe as a side effect, you start shaking or whatever people go through when they kill another human being (dreams?)

Edited by Sticker704

allbusiness, you fail to read posts correctly. Just because my idea does not match with yours doesn't mean you need to ridiculously over-exaggerate what I say and dismiss it. I understand that this game is about player interaction. But without zombies being a bigger threat (a common enemy, so to speak), the only player interaction is going to be shooting the player you're interacting with in the face. There is no reward for cooperation and surviving solo is too easy. As the saying goes, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The friends in question being the players, not the zombies :P

I must have dreamt about the blood parts and how a fixed skin like the bandit one didn't work as people became (permanent) bandits by others shooting at them first and after that none would trust them again and start fire-fights straight away and even sidechat talks didn't stop those.

How does that 'not work' ?

That sounds like the rules weren't explained and mistakes were made by players that didn't know there would be consequences to their murdering. Yeah, if you murder randoms and you get flagged as such, expect to be a high profile target. He also mentioned players could leave a server and wipe their skin. Which shouldn't happen.

I know rocket said he didn't want 'punishments' for people that murder.. well, the sad fact of it is in the video game world if there is no punishment and only reward for murdering... that's what people will do.

EVEN IF zombies become much harder as proposed.. there is still a hidden punishment for murdering random players. And that punishment is the loss of another player's help.

Either way, however you wish to look at it.. there has to be a punishment. Its just the way it is. (unless you want deathmatch)

Edited by PinkTaco24

On 7th July 15.1374% of survival attempts had ended in murder - 1,599,557 murders in 10,566,935 survival attempts.

Today, 11th July, 14.3012% of survival attempts have ended in murder - 1,752,632 in 12,255,174 survival attempts.

Neither of those constitute a "deathmatch game" in which all attempts to survive would end in murder, and I absolutely love that the longer your ignorant ass stands around saying it, the less true it becomes.

Please let this asinine thread die already. i don't know why you felt the need to resurrect it in the first place with your 7-word reply to a 6-day-old post. It was tripe when you posted it and it's tripe today.

I would like to know how these survival attempts and numbers have been gathered. Most populated servers I enter has the chat ticker going "player x was killed" repeatedly every minute. I don't know how they're getting themselves killed every minute but some players are just repeatedly dying after a very short amount of time.

I've only died roughly twice by zombies. And those were because I broke my leg. the 6+ more times were from getting shot by hostile players.

Zombies provide no threat compared to players as they can't even hit you if you run.

This is only because the vast vast majority of deaths are voluntary. People committing suicide over and over again so they can get a better spawn.

It might be cool to have some kind of perk system implemented.

For example if you take to killing players, zombies are more responsive to your presence and your "loot luck" goes down since you're rarely looting towns anyway, just stealing from other players and avoiding high traffic areas. If you take to being friendly, moral, and just, then zombies are less responsive and your "loot luck" goes up.

This might be difficult to implement and there might be some holes with that kind of system, but I think it might be one possible solution to dealing with the insane amounts of PK going on right now.