philbur

Questions about Master/Slave

Hi all!

I am going to start a server and had a couple questions for all you pros out there;

Initially I am looking to start my own server because I am the type of Survivor that actually enjoys having a consistent player base to interact with and I dont even mind the PVP aspect as long as it does not come as a result of some little kid just server hoppping and KOS-ing just to grab gear. I am looking into options and I thought about maybe just setting up a Private Shard SLAVE that can tie in to a Master that fits my particular preferences in gameplay and attitudes. The added benefit of less cost to me on a monthly basis is a plus, of course, but also I think it would be good for someone with a single server to have an alternate source for slightly differing playstyles and also to allow a bit more loot options.

Does this appeal to anyone running a Private (Master) server?

An example would be perhaps a solid RP server where there are specific preferences in gameplay styles and where the addition of another server would add sort of a "seperate world" where they could venture into for some danger or additional adventuring. I would allow PVP only to add to the difficulty and would watch logs for plain ole KOS garbage. If, for example a couple of people were venturing around Riffy and were shot at by another group as a matter of trespassing...then fair is fair and maybe a bit of a feud could start that would need to be settled between them.

You see, this is essentially RP but it involves PVP aspects...and I don't see any examples of this gameplay style being followed on the current batch of Private RP servers.

Again, having two servers to bounce around on, with differing rules regarding preferred playstyles, would give players the option of either one depending on their mood at the time. Also, I would choose a provider in North East US or Canada, which could serve as an alternative to a European server if the time of day is a concern to you then you can simply bounce over to one or the other to maximize your in-game preferred time of day.

I am just getting my head around this, and have not logged any time on a Private Shard, so ideas are welcome. I will ultimately just go with a low POP Master if I need to, but it would be nice to have another server to share worlds with. This is basically the idea behind the DayZ Mod "Maps" where you could play Taviana one time and then "travel" to Chernarus for some more adventuring...etc. etc.