Sign in to follow this  
lbmaster

Rotate items in your inventory

Hello Guys,

Do you have the same probelms sometimes ? You want to pick up an Item, but it doesn't fit in your backpack, because it is horizontally orientated but it could fit if it were vertically orientated. Why don't add the ability to rotate items ?

LBmaster

Tetris! DayZ-Style!

Ah, inventory tetris will finally be a complete thing.

Although, I have a feeling that they wont add that section of the inventory system until they have weight working, else people will fill their bags with long firearms...

I'd only support rotation of items in the inventory under the condition that the slots are granulated more (i.e. one square splits into four 2x2 or nine 3x3), and our inventories are made into separate pockets rather than one big block for each clothing piece. This is because the lack of rotation serves a (possibly unintended) role in-game, to simulate (to an extent) items that would not fit in a container. For example you couldn't fit the full Waterproof Bag container in your Cargo Pants in real life, and this is simulated in-game by the bag being too large vertically to fit. This system also applies to many other items, although it is not perfect. However if we cold rotate items with the current inventory system then this built-in limiter would no longer work properly. While the system would be better if we got item rotation and the other changes I mentioned above, in my opinion it would be better to keep the system we have now with no changes. DayZ is already a highly complex game both from a gameplay and programming perspective, and in my opinion it would be best to keep the functional, imperfect, and simple system we have.

Edited by OnionOfShame
  • Like 1

I'd only support rotation of items in the inventory under the condition that the slots are granulated more (i.e. one square splits into four 2x2 or nine 3x3), and our inventories are made into separate pockets rather than one big block for each clothing piece. This is because the lack of rotation serves a (possibly unintended) role in-game, to simulate (to an extent) items that would not fit in a container. For example you couldn't fit the full Waterproof Bag container in your Cargo Pants in real life, and this is simulated in-game by the bag being too large vertically to fit. This system also applies to many other items, although it is not perfect. However if we cold rotate items with the current inventory system then this built-in limiter would no longer work properly. While the system would be better if we got item rotation and the other changes I mentioned above, in my opinion it would be better to keep the system we have now with no changes. DayZ is already a highly complex game both from a gameplay and programming perspective, and in my opinion it would be best to keep the functional, imperfect, and simple system we have.

Maybe they will leave certain things the way they are... Same time you wouldnt be able to stick 1 handgun in all four of your pants pockets. We can do that now. Truth is you could tuck that in your waste band and still have pocket space... perhaps any pair of pants should function as a holster? that would probably make holsters obsolete though... oh well... they are going to add the rotation thing in either way...

Edited by iClown

sticking a gun in your waist would not work while running-realistically they would fall out fast. however, adding belt holsters would fix both things. when i deployed to iraq i had my m9 in a belt holster and could still wear my body armor. and a backpack.