Sign in to follow this  
battlerhd

Sorting out ammo?

Has this been removed by design or is it some kind of bug, pretty bad feature if you ask me seems completely unnecessary and unrealistic. 

I believe they are redoing how ammo works, so that each individual round is its own item.  Damaged ammo is going to have more effect in the future and actually mean something.

As it stands, you can load ruined ammo into guns currently.

Me and a buddy were looting Gorka, I was over watch with a fancy SVD we had liberated from someones stash. I saw a guy enter the police station my friend had just left with his gun drawn. After they chased each other around I finally got my shot on the guy. I lined up...Click. WTF my gun won't shoot! reloaded, lined up again... Click my friend had at that point killed the guy. After examining my mags I emptied the rifle to find a lone ruined bullet chambered. Was kinda a cool and unique experience, thankfully it did not get me killed lol

• Like 2

I believe they are redoing how ammo works, so that each individual round is its own item.  Damaged ammo is going to have more effect in the future and actually mean something.

As it stands, you can load ruined ammo into guns currently

I'm pretty sure you cant load ruined ammo into guns, if so i'm doing it wrong because I can't 

Me and a buddy were looting Gorka, I was over watch with a fancy SVD we had liberated from someones stash. I saw a guy enter the police station my friend had just left with his gun drawn. After they chased each other around I finally got my shot on the guy. I lined up...Click. WTF my gun won't shoot! reloaded, lined up again... Click my friend had at that point killed the guy. After examining my mags I emptied the rifle to find a lone ruined bullet chambered. Was kinda a cool and unique experience, thankfully it did not get me killed lol

Yeah I'm all for ruined ammo malfunctioning the loading mechanisms of guns, but not being able to sort through rounds to scavenge any intact ones is unrealistic in my eyes.

Yeah I'm all for ruined ammo malfunctioning the loading mechanisms of guns, but not being able to sort through rounds to scavenge any intact ones is unrealistic in my eyes.

What he is describing is a gun jamming, not loading ruined ammo.

As to sorting out good ammo, not sure why they did it but it is intentional.

I'm pretty sure you cant load ruined ammo into guns, if so i'm doing it wrong because I can't 

Try putting it on the hotbar and loading from there.  I've loaded ruined ammo, maybe it was a bug but it's worked.  And yes it fired.

I had this happen where my gun wouldn't fire, I gave it to a friend and it wouldn't fire for him either.  He relogged and then it worked.  The mag was pristine though I didn't bother ejecting it.  There's no real reason why the ammo in the mags would have been ruined though.

I guess the bottom line is it's buggy.

Edited by Bororm

-____-

because being able to find unharmed rounds when a small stack of them got hit by a grenade / barrage of bullets / shotgun / whateaver is realistic, right?

just protect your bullets better. spread them in your inventory or protect them in a case or box or medkit (all of which still work when ruined, they just dont reduce the damage you yourself take when shot. but they will still keep all your stuff pristine).

Edited by jayfkay

-____-

because being able to find unharmed rounds when a small stack of them got hit by a grenade / barrage of bullets / shotgun / whateaver is realistic, right?

just protect your bullets better. spread them in your inventory or protect them in a case or box or medkit (all of which still work when ruined, they just dont reduce the damage you yourself take when shot. but they will still keep all your stuff pristine).

It doesn't really make sense that a single round impacting can ruin a stack of ammo.  They're loose rounds in a pocket.

It doesn't really make sense that a single round impacting can ruin a stack of ammo.  They're loose rounds in a pocket.

Loose rounds in a pocket.. the argument doesnt count. It doesnt make sense to be able to have 60 bullets inside a damn flanel shirt in the first place.

They count as one item and thus they get ruined.

A sledgehammer, grenade, 308 round, SP-9 round ETC ETC - all of these things can ruin your stack of ammo. Does that make sense?

A zombie hitting you with its loose hands can ruin your stack of ammo - does that make sense?

You can fall on your feet and the stack of ammo in your pants will be ruined - does that make sense?

You can literally sit between 5 campfires and not warmup before 30 minutes pass - does that make sense?

Do NOT give me any shitty "doesnt make sense" argument for Dayz, ever again.

This change will force better inventory management and doesnt really hurt anyone except people who are bad at exactly that. Not a problem to cope with it.

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 1

Loose rounds in a pocket.. the argument doesnt count. It doesnt make sense to be able to have 60 bullets inside a damn flanel shirt in the first place.

A sledgehammer, grenade, 308 round, SP-9 round ETC ETC - all of these things can ruin your stack of ammo. Does that make sense?

A zombie hitting you with its loose hands can ruin your stack of ammo - does that make sense?

You can fall on your feet and the stack of ammo in your pants will be ruined - does that make sense?

You can literally sit between 5 campfires and not warmup before 30 minutes pass - does that make sense?

This change will force better inventory management and doesnt really hurt anyone except people who are bad at exactly that. Not a problem to cope with it.

While i agree with your sentiment, I do wish dayZ strode a bit closer to the simulation side of the street. TBH i think all guns should use thier actual real-world cartridges, and those which cant be used interchangeably IRL shouldn't work in-game either. (even weapons of the same caliber. EG. a mosin uses 7.62x54 where as the AK47/AKM and vairents use 7.62x39). Heavy blunt-force mele weapons like a sledge/axe should 1 shot to the head. period. i really wish they would stuff balance and go for realism all the way.

You realize not all items necessarily get ruined/damaged from an attack right?  That there's actually an order in which they take damage, where you can have some items remain unharmed with others being damaged in your inventory.  In other words, it already simulates to an extent damage distribution through out a particular section of inventory.

Sorting ammo was a perfectly fine mechanic.  I'd like to see the source where it was removed intentionally, or that it isn't going to be re-implemented because quite frankly I don't believe it.  From what's been said in status reports it's more in line with what I posted up above, each round is going to be an individual object even when stacked.  A ruined round in your stack that you feed into your mag could potentially jam your gun.  The sorting mechanic is likely going to be expanded if anything in that regard.

Here's the quote on that and source:

Another nice change is that bullets in magazines/piles are no more just numbers of amount but are really independent objects which means they can contain ammo of different quality. Combination of damaged ammunition and non maintained gun leads to higher possibility of jams. With different type of ammunition in magazines, tracers will experience their comeback and help us to revive night gameplay a bit.

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/229133-status-report-23-sept-2015/

Your statement not to ever use a "doesn't make sense" argument when it comes to logical out comes, quite frankly, doesn't make sense.

Edited by Bororm

-____-

Yes it is realistic, your argument is basically saying that each time you get shot around where your ammo is kept no matter what it will always be ruined. That just based on logic is simply not true, now keeping in mind this is a video game and it will never be completely realistic, you cant have loose rounds in your bag you can only have stacks, that wont change and honestly doesn't need to. The sorting out of ammo was the middle ground of realism, you cant have loose rounds in game because of varius limitations with the engine but in real life that wouldn't be the case, there is no slots in a backpack little things like bullets that were not in a box would just be inbetween and at the bottom of everything, so sorting through the ammo was a completely realistic and totally fine feature

Edited by iBattleVet