Sign in to follow this  
OnionOfShame

Patches!

Do you like the idea of the patch system?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of the patch system?

• Yes, exactly how you described it below
    • Yes, but with some changes (please explain below)
    • No, it should not be implemented at all (please explain below)
    • Indifferent

Hello all, I'd like to propose a new system of character customization in DayZ. This system would involve the player finding/creating patches and attaching them to their clothing. I mentioned this in another thread a while back, but it was sort of thrown in as an afterthought, and I think it deserves it's own thread to be fully fleshed out.

To acquire a patch, players will have to find them as loot or craft them. They would spawn in residential locations and some factories, as well as military locations. They should be somewhat rare, but usually found in large amounts where they happen to spawn (for example, a box of military unit designation patches in the warehouse at a military base). Of course some patches could be rarer than others, for example a US special forces patch that could be found at American heli crashes. To craft a patch, the player needs a sewing kit and some fabric. Using the sewing kit on the loose fabric gives the option to craft a patch. This will bring up a design screen similar to the sign creation screen in Rust. The player can only use fabric colors that they have in their inventory. There are no advanced drawing tools, meaning that it must be drawn freehand. However, a player can perfectly remake any patch that they have successfully made in the past. You can choose to share a patch design with any other character, but it can only happen consentually (someone can't kill you, tear off the patch and infinitely dupe it from the patch itself). For simplicity's sake I think that learned patch designs should persist between servers (even on different hives) and between lives, so that if someone is in a group/clan they will not have to memorize and redraw the design by hand again. I am aware that many patches in real life involve a glue-like substance, so if glues are ever implemented then they could be involved in the process of crafting a patch.

Once found/created, patches can be attached to one's jacket/shirt, pants, or hat. To attach a patch, the player is given a rotatable image of the clothing model (like the inspect window, but showing the model of it being worn) and simply clicks where they want the patch to go (of course, micro adjustments are possible). Visual representation will be handled by adding a simple decal to the player's model, so the impact on performance should be minimal if it exists at all.

There are a few possible uses for this system. The first and most obvious is to individualize your squad by having unique matching patches. This would be great for both tacticool military squads and more ragtag "biker gang"-style groups alike. It could also be a sort of badge of honor; although imitation is possible it is not possible to perfectly copy another players patch (without them sharing the design of course), so having the patch of a highly skilled player or a member of a well-known squad could be a sort of status symbol, so you can say that you killed them. I can imagine that some players would go all out and collect the patches from every player they kill, so that after a while their jacket would be completely covered in them, a good display of one's accomplishments. The potential for these on roleplay servers is even greater...

What do you think of this idea? Do you like it? If so, why, and if not why not? Would you suggest any changes?

Edited by OnionOfShame
  • Like 2

I think it might be nice, yes. A good compromise between player identification and immersion, akin to the arm bands but more fleshed-out.

edit: one con I can think of is the free-hand drawing opening the door to a lot of trolling and childish shenanigans. Think swastikas, dick badges and other such nonsense.

Edited by Sacha

I love the idea of random doodads that you can collect and wear on your clothes.  The more rare the better.   Even rare versions of common items would be cool.  It would make a great mod if the devs don't do it.

I think its great but smells of mod and after release shenanigans, whenever that will be, aint keeping up lately..

cant wait to see what the future brings so I can play the game I bought and was told by a one dean hall to wait until the game release if I expect a polished gem.. still waiting lol.

Hello all, I'd like to propose a new system of character customization in DayZ. This system would involve the player finding/creating patches and attaching them to their clothing. I mentioned this in another thread a while back, but it was sort of thrown in as an afterthought, and I think it deserves it's own thread to be fully fleshed out.

To acquire a patch, players will have to find them as loot or craft them. They would spawn in residential locations and some factories, as well as military locations. They should be somewhat rare, but usually found in large amounts where they happen to spawn (for example, a box of military unit designation patches in the warehouse at a military base). Of course some patches could be rarer than others, for example a US special forces patch that could be found at American heli crashes. To craft a patch, the player needs a sewing kit and some fabric. Using the sewing kit on the loose fabric gives the option to craft a patch. This will bring up a design screen similar to the sign creation screen in Rust. The player can only use fabric colors that they have in their inventory. There are no advanced drawing tools, meaning that it must be drawn freehand. However, a player can perfectly remake any patch that they have successfully made in the past. You can choose to share a patch design with any other character, but it can only happen consentually (someone can't kill you, tear off the patch and infinitely dupe it from the patch itself). For simplicity's sake I think that learned patch designs should persist between servers (even on different hives) and between lives, so that if someone is in a group/clan they will not have to memorize and redraw the design by hand again. I am aware that many patches in real life involve a glue-like substance, so if glues are ever implemented then they could be involved in the process of crafting a patch.

Once found/created, patches can be attached to one's jacket/shirt, pants, or hat. To attach a patch, the player is given a rotatable image of the clothing model (like the inspect window, but showing the model of it being worn) and simply clicks where they want the patch to go (of course, micro adjustments are possible). Visual representation will be handled by adding a simple decal to the player's model, so the impact on performance should be minimal if it exists at all.

There are a few possible uses for this system. The first and most obvious is to individualize your squad by having unique matching patches. This would be great for both tacticool military squads and more ragtag "biker gang"-style groups alike. It could also be a sort of badge of honor; although imitation is possible it is not possible to perfectly copy another players patch (without them sharing the design of course), so having the patch of a highly skilled player or a member of a well-known squad could be a sort of status symbol, so you can say that you killed them. I can imagine that some players would go all out and collect the patches from every player they kill, so that after a while their jacket would be completely covered in them, a good display of one's accomplishments. The potential for these on roleplay servers is even greater...

What do you think of this idea? Do you like it? If so, why, and if not why not? Would you suggest any changes?

Stop... my penis can only get so erect.