Sign in to follow this  
CGNoodlePot (DayZ)

Spawn with random genetic predisposition to diseases to add variety

We genetically inherit physical traits from our biological parents and unfortunately it sometimes include some disease or weakness that makes us prone to environmental factors.

Here are some articles that can explain what I mean:

http://news.meta.com/2015/11/19/cell-nutrition-is-personal-identical-foods-produce-healthy-and-unhealthy-responses-in-different-individuals/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_health

But this leaves a question on how can they be detected in game and if there is a real world way of testing yourself for diseases like blood test, urine/fecal test and any other physical health checkups that is applicable in an apocalypse setting?

I hope this will encourage players to raid hospitals and get these checkups.

Edited by CGNoodlePot
  • Like 1

That sounds like a cool Mod idea but I would prefer everyone starting on an even keel or if worst comes to worst then add it as part of the character customisation to better fit ones playing style. But primarily against any modification like this, I believe basic survival should be the biggest hurdle anyone has to get over.

Though I know they are expanding the diseases and injuries repertory so maybe this might be a nice compromise for your suggestion.

I'd like it if you had to say choose a 'flaw' when customizing your character, or have an option for random selection. That way we still have a choice in how we're disabled, but not if we are or not.

There should be a slider in the character creation menu for Age, Health, and Fitness.

Age would be from, say, 20-70. The higher the age, the harder it is to play.

Health would be from. say, Healthy to 'Not'. The lower the health, the harder it is to play.

Fitness would be from, say, Fit to Unfit. The closer to the unfit spectrum, the harder it is to play.

This should also have an option to toggle "randomize on player respawn", where you'd spawn as a 27 year old healthy and fit person one life, and then the next you'd be a 67 year old fat man with diabetes.

I think it should come down to character customization. You can't choose not to have a disability of some sort, but you can choose things like:

-Blood Type: everyone must have one or it is randomized.

-An allergy: can be to any particular type of food item, can be overcome with using an Epi Pen. Can be selected or randomized.

-A predisposed illness: could be things like Celiac Disease (manageable by eating gluten free foods, consuming gluten products will cause minor sickness,) HIV (manageable by avoiding other sick players or reinforced usage of antibiotics and vitamins, catching other illnesses will be more severe,) Diabetes (manageable by consuming high sugar food and drinks or using insulin shots, low blood sugar levels can cause unconsciousness and passing out,) Asthma (manageable by using gas masks or ventalin, poor management will cause unconsciousness or accuracy/stamina problems,) or schizophrenia (the player may occasionally hallucinate and see zombies or players that aren't actually there.)

-Age: you can choose your player's age, older players will have more skill in shooting (better accuracy, steadier aim,) but lack the health and fitness levels of younger players.

-Skin type/race: Obviously this is already in, but this can affect how easily you can become hyper or hypo thermic, as well as punching strength, stamina and weapons discipline.

Edited by Handgun_Hero
  • Like 1

I think it should come down to character customization. You can't choose not to have a disability of some sort, but you can choose things like:

-An allergy: can be to any particular type of food item, can be overcome with using an Epi Pen. Can be selected or randomized.

-A predisposed illness: could be things like Celiac Disease (manageable by eating gluten free foods, consuming gluten products will cause minor sickness,) HIV (manageable by avoiding other sick players or reinforced usage of antibiotics and vitamins, catching other illnesses will be more severe,) Diabetes (manageable by consuming high sugar food and drinks or using insulin shots, low blood sugar levels can cause unconsciousness and passing out,) Asthma (manageable by using gas masks or ventalin, poor management will cause unconsciousness or accuracy/stamina problems,) or schizophrenia (the player may occasionally hallucinate and see zombies or players that aren't actually there.)

-Age: you can choose your player's age, older players will have more skill in shooting (better accuracy, steadier aim,) but lack the health and fitness levels of younger players.

-Skin type/race: Obviously this is already in, but this can affect how easily you can become hyper or hypo thermic, as well as punching strength, stamina and weapons discipline.

WOW!

Are you a health care practitioner? A doctor or nurse?

Not sure how your race would directly affect your strength or other stats...

• Like 1

HIV is NOT manageable by using antibiotics and vitamins, and I think it does no good to spread this idea in games - even if it is only for simplification

and for diabetes: good luck in the zombie apocalypse without refridgerators and constant medical supplies

it is a blessing of modern health care that we can live with these problems so well

regarding skin type/race: not sure what to say... really? it is 2015

HIV is NOT manageable by using antibiotics and vitamins, and I think it does no good to spread this idea in games - even if it is only for simplification

and for diabetes: good luck in the zombie apocalypse without refridgerators and constant medical supplies

it is a blessing of modern health care that we can live with these problems so well

regarding skin type/race: not sure what to say... really? it is 2015

HIV is an immuno deficiency virus that is incurable. By constant reinforced use of antibiotics and vitamins, you are strengthening/stimulating your immune system to try and increase its strength and resistance to other diseases. Realistically this doesn't do much in the scheme of things but it DOES have an effect, even if it is practically negligible. However, for gameplay/fun sakes, we can have consuming of a vitamin or antibiotic tablet bringing a HIV suffering survivor's immune system back to full strength for say a 15 minute period of time. Without using these to boost the immune system, we can give them a 100% chance of contracting diseases such as influenza or cholera should the player come into contact with these infections.

WOW!

Are you a health care practitioner? A doctor or nurse?

No, just know a lot of people in the industry and have learned a bit about different things from my research.