Monte_Desamos

Can someone get me an M4?

A few hours? Who in the name of fuck has got the patience to server hop for a few hours?

Do these people not have ANYTHING interesting to do in their miserable lives?

I mean, you could choose to view it that way. Or you could consider that most games have an intended 'play-time' built into their design phase. Basically, there is generally a minimum time one needs to play a game to achieve satisfaction. These days, that time gets shorter and shorter since people frankly don't have the spare time anymore. The majority of people who play videogames are in their child-bearing years, have ageing parents who need help to do basic things around the house, and still work 40 hours a week on top of that.

But DayZ was originally meant to be an anti-game. Its expected 'serving size' is more like hours at a time. You simply can't sit down to play DayZ and commit yourself to playing no more than, say, twenty minutes in a sitting. As soon as some kid on winter vacation decides to start stalking you, you're either committed to sticking around till you've dealt with the problem, or you have to walk away and ensure you lose all character progression.

It's not a case of people having nothing to do in their miserable lives. It's a case of people choosing to play DayZ, which requires more of a time investment than your average adrenaline-junky murderfest. As for patience, well, come on bro. Everyone's got the capability to achieve the kind of patience that lets you do the same thing for hours at a time. It's how jobs work.

I mean, you could choose to view it that way. Or you could consider that most games have an intended 'play-time' built into their design phase. Basically, there is generally a minimum time one needs to play a game to achieve satisfaction. These days, that time gets shorter and shorter since people frankly don't have the spare time anymore. The majority of people who play videogames are in their child-bearing years, have ageing parents who need help to do basic things around the house, and still work 40 hours a week on top of that.

But DayZ was originally meant to be an anti-game. Its expected 'serving size' is more like hours at a time. You simply can't sit down to play DayZ and commit yourself to playing no more than, say, twenty minutes in a sitting. As soon as some kid on winter vacation decides to start stalking you, you're either committed to sticking around till you've dealt with the problem, or you have to walk away and ensure you lose all character progression.

It's not a case of people having nothing to do in their miserable lives. It's a case of people choosing to play DayZ, which requires more of a time investment than your average adrenaline-junky murderfest. As for patience, well, come on bro. Everyone's got the capability to achieve the kind of patience that lets you do the same thing for hours at a time. It's how jobs work.

Sorry to quote myself, but:

What I mean is: server hopping isn't playing the game.

It isn't fun. It's just looking in a few buildings, swapping servers, then looking in the same few buildings again. It's incredibly tedious.

I've spent many hours at a time playing DayZ, but I can't imagine spending hours at a time just server hopping the same area repeatedly. I'd go mad.

I struggle to understand the mindset of somebody who is so desperate for a single in-game item that they'd spend hours of their life performing the most boring, chore-like bit of meta-gaming possible, rather than actually playing and enjoying the game.