andrewjs

ACRE Support

then just scrap radio and use acre as direct voice chat.

Whats to say every server has to run with acre? Have some that do, and some that don't for the nubs who can't get it working?

Everytime you join a server with an aceface, you proudly announce your entrance with an annoying error message for everyone else.

ACRE just feels like a quite hackish solution when you have to use a third party software (Teamspeak) to even get it to work. Stuff like this should be possible to add directly into Arma imo..

I definitely agree that an enhanced radio and speak system would add a lot to this mod though.

Force players to find radios to be able to talk to people further away then normal talk/shout range (lets say max 100 meters). Then there can be more advanced radios which supports longer distances etc.

It would make things interesting when you have to find people in the beginning when you start alone and afraid, you will have to run around and shout or find a radio to find the bigger groups of people or players further away. No global chat for you..

Text chat could still work very well with an enhanced radio system and speaking/shouting although it's obviously not possible with ACRE.

Everytime you join a server with an aceface' date=' you proudly announce your entrance with an annoying error message for everyone else.

[/quote']

ACRE and ACE are different addons and afaik not much related (except that ACRE also works with ACE). ACRE is all about voice chat / radios, where as ACE is full conversion mod.

Let's see if they can fix DC. If not' date=' acre may be the only option.

[/quote']

I agree. Having direct communication channel fixed (and global/side blocked) would already solve most of the problems.

• Like 1

I really hope that server administrators could allow / force acre on their servers.

Or they could make acre automagic system:

- Auto launch and join teamspeak on official dayz ts3 acre server

- On server connect, switches to correct server specific channel

- Radios are just so sexy, and they would fit into DayZ for 140% certainty !!!

This is like the best suggestion on these forums.

1 internets to you sir :)

Bump. Just had a thought would it work if you allow the signature for ACRE on the servers and people who want to use it have the option to do so? Because as someone mentioned before it can get very cluster fucked when you and 5 other friends are in one TS channel.

This is just my 2 cents. how about making the higher power radios incredibly rare (NVGs, M249, M107 rare) but allow people with the low power radios to use the phone towers and such located around the map as an amplifier/reciever allowing them to broadcast further or allow them listen at a greater distance.

I think the short range 343 radio should be easier to find. However radios that allow you to change specific frequencies such as the 148 VHF, 117F and the 119 should be rare to find. Class them as military loot and only spawn them in air fields, military bases and deer huts. I think even allowing us to use acre would amplify the experience and atmosphere of the game and allow for more organized communication between players on teamspeak. More over having ACRE on the servers would allow the servers to have VOIP off therefore freeing up server memory and give the opportunity to use that memory elsewhere. It could be used to implement another new feature and it would improve server FPS as a result giving players improved FPS as well.

+ 1 but would prefer if the ACRE system was used in-game so that you don't need to all be on the same ts3 server.

This would eliminate the need to swap ts3 depending on which server you play on and stop groups using ts3 and alienating anyone not in that ts3.

I'm in two minds about this. ACRE, as is currently used, is for TS only. Therefore this would be a massive advantage to already established groups/clans that use it, such as mine. And a massive disadvantage for new players. I think the best solution is to use the ACRE concept to make a standalone that does not require teamspeak.

Besides, for it to be effective - everyone in each server would have to join a TS server assigned to the game server, with everyone on the same channel. So the opportunity to spy on each other's conversations is huge, and the chances of server crashing and game crashing goes up a thousandfold.

This needs to be sent back to the drawing board. ACRE is great, but not for this many players, it should be used as inspiration, and nothing more.

Is anyone here familiar with FsInn for flight sim? how hard would it be to adopt this code into the engine, or write similar code into the engine to provide radio support in game? combined with a buff to in game VON, gets rid of the parallel VOIP software problem and provides for an internal radio communication network.FsInn provides range based radio network for large networks, An active night on fs inn can see up to a thousand flight sim heads on the one network so the software is very robust and stable.

I have started a new debate on game comms with a particular emphasis on the negative aspect of third party VOIP comms conferring telepathic comm skill here

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47031-permadeath-in-the-post-apocalypse-bit-of-an-essay-repost-from-newbie-group/

I think secure in game comms system with localised speech and radio comms would contribute massively to the experience....

jer

Someone could setup a ACRE server, but I'm not sure how the database would save the ACRE radios if the classname increases by ID. A quick and easy solution would be to save ACRE radios as the default classname. Although that sounds kind of tedious, a simpler solution would be SQL, but that is resource and DB intensive.

Edited by Chernarus

The idea: I love it and I would really like to see ACRE integrated into DayZ. In-game radios are the only solution to chat abuse or the need for external VOIP services like Skype or TeamSpeak (or Ventrilo, or Mumble, or ...)

Problem 1: Although ACRE is very simple to setup, especially with SixUpdater, it does require some extra things for the user to do to make it work. I've seen a lot of people struggle with the DayZ setup (and even ARMA2 itself!), so another mod with it's unique install might scare of some people.

Problem 2: Using ACRE in-game is not very easy, even the controls are hard (CTRL + SHIFT + Q to show the radio :o) and will require some training before someone can use it. Since DayZ is still an Alpha I don't see any training missions soon, but might be handy and will be required when ACRE is implemented.

Problem 3: The system used by ACRE, by defining unique classnames for each radio, instead of ID's by DayZ, is a technical problem which isn't fixed overnight. Each radio is unique and should be saved as an unique item at the database (which creates a lot of problems). Also, the items are unique per server, not at the HIVE, so they could never become persistant.

For DayZ ACRE needs to be rewritten so it uses ID's (again) and store all the data to this ID (like channel information). Otherwise it would be impossible to store all the data at the HIVE, and will will make them even less useful then vehicles and tents (which already are server bound).

However, this means every player must spawn with it's own unique radio and can't be used by others.

And that's something terrible, since ACRE allows you to carry multiple radios and even use them all at the same time (like 1 left ear, 1 right ear or simply switching radios).

Problem 4: ACRE requires all players (at least at a single server) to be at the same Teamspeak server and channel, otherwise it won't work. This either means that DayZ must have it's own 10000000 slots TS server, or must have a clever method to make TS switch servers automaticly when you change servers in-game and use the TS server of the server hoster.

The first option is simply impossible, not to mention the costs. The second option might be possible (although the server hosters need to handle more data and CPU cycles), but requires some heavy coding between ARMA2 and TS.

Conclusion: I really hope that DayZ will feature some kind of in-game VOIP which works at a way we all like, but I fear that ACRE isn't the solution. Of course, ACRE could (and should) be used as a general guideline for how it could (and should) be done.

As the rumors say; ARMA3 will have radios which are similair to ACRE, so hopefully the dev's are able to use that code in DayZ.

• Like 1

Grezvany all those technical challenges come down to a single issue, the ID issue.

HIVE will save the ID's from the classnames, which I can filter out in the database quite easily after the player updates their row.

To be honest, I believe that only short range radios should be implemented. Instead of adding long-range perhaps actually give the radio towers a purpose by allowing

users with short-range radios to hook up on them radio towers found on hilltops throughout the map.

Just a thought :)

To be honest, I believe that only short range radios should be implemented. Instead of adding long-range perhaps actually give the radio towers a purpose by allowing

users with short-range radios to hook up on them radio towers found on hilltops throughout the map.

Just a thought :)

Good idea, radio amplifiers.