Sign in to follow this  
holyteal

Polished idea on how to improve spawning in Dayz.

Hi,

I have thought a lot on how spawning could be improved after suffering of, to name a few: massive loss of time to regroup with friends, persons coming back non-stop and insanely fast on their dead bodies or bambis suiciding everywhere on the coast (immersion-breaker). 

All of this issues are not intuitive and I believe make the game suffers more than we think at first glance.

So I came with something which could in my opinion resolve all of this (it's just a concept done in Paint) :

[CLICK ON IT TO MAKE IT BIGGER]
yEcJ3L4.jpg

So let's say you enter a server as a freshspawn character, the first thing you see is a page like this where you can choose where to spawn and how your character looks.
Everytime you die, the closer spawn to the place where you died becomes inacessible for 15 minutes (could be more or less).
To make it truly work, thoses timers must be persistant between public servers and the distance between spawn-locations enough to prevent players coming back too fast on their corpse.

Benefits:
  • Nearly complete disappearance of players suiciding for respawn purpose (immersion-breaker).
  • Less bambis rushing mindlessly on geared players (because the spawn location is not always available).
  • Easier and enjoyable way to regroup with your friends.
  • More immersion in the landscape as you see group of bambis trying to survive together on the go (group of friends).
  • No more insanely fast comeback of players to re-take what they have lost on Coast (for pvp players).
  • More polished/professional and look-alike classic game menu style for Dayz in a good way.

Drawbacks:

• Need to be persistant to avoid issues of players choosing their spawn location in another server and then proceed to comeback on the one they want to play.
  • Need to find the good balance for the timer on the spawn-availability so players don't get stuck/impossibility to play for too long. Should be not that hard to find and not a big issue (dying 8 times in 10-15 minutes is very rare and players will be comprehensive if it happens).
  • Need to make minimum distance between spawn locations in order to prevent very fast comeback of players on their corpse or whatever.

What do you think of it ? I am interested in your opinion, ideas on how improving this concept etc. Thank you.

Edited by HolyTeal

Spawn selection is available as a server setting in DayZ mod, it makes revenge killing and returning to your own corpse far too easy IMO.

The only way that you could make this work is if the 3 spawn points closest to the location of your death were disabled, or something similar, IMO.

Edited by Mos1ey

I am aware of this issue, that's why spawn-locations need to have a minimum distance between them making comeback still possible but not guaranted. In no circumstances it should be possible to comeback insanely fast on your corpse. 

In my opinion even if it's not perfect, it's still an improvement over the current system.

EDIT : i have added your concerns in the drawback section.

Edited by HolyTeal

It's not just spawn locations or players dying multiple times in a short space of time that cause issues.

For example...

I have a 2 week old "geared" character and am killed in Zelenogorsk.

I have not died within the last 15 minutes therefore all spawns are available to me.

I select the Kamenka spawn point and can be back in Zelenogorsk in ~5 minutes.

In a game where "permadeath" is supposed to be a key feature, having to stop what you're doing and leave the area in case someone that you just killed respawns and comes back should never be an issue IMO.

Another issue is that players who lose "old" characters to PvE are easily (and consistently...) able to return to their corpse and recover all of their gear as if nothing ever happened. In fact I would argue that spawn selection actually encourages this behaviour.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

Okay you have some good points that i didn't take in consideration, but nothing impossible to solve:

It's not just spawn locations or players dying multiple times in a short space of time that cause issues.

For example...

I have a 2 week old "geared" character and am killed in Zelenogorsk.

==> To resolve this we can make the the closest spawn to where you die becomes unavailable for 10 minutes (or the two closest spawns if get more spawn-locations) instead of your starting spawn like i proposed at first.

I have not died within the last 15 minutes therefore all spawns are available to me.

==> Same solution than above + Not really an issue in itself.

I select the Kamenka spawn point and can be back in Zelenogorsk in ~5 minutes.

==> It's part of Dayz IMO and not totally avoidable. Anyway they can fix it by making distance between spawns further away + They said they gonna make the running slower in final version so it could be resolved by itself.

In a game where "permadeath" is supposed to be a key feature, having to stop what you're doing and leave the area in case someone that you just killed respawns and comes back should never be an issue IMO.

Another issue is that players who lose "old" characters to PvE are easily (and consistently...) able to return to their corpse and recover all of their gear as if nothing ever happened. In fact I would argue that spawn selection actually encourages this behaviour.

==> Could be fixed by the first proposition to your first concern (making the nearest spawn to your death unavailable for 10 minutes or so).

Thank you for your feedback, it helps me polish the idea more and more. If you can find other flaws, will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by HolyTeal