Masok88

Struggling to find food or weapons

Hey,

I've recently started playing this week. I recently respawned near Kamenka and am currently hiding out in Balota airfield looking for gear. I haven't been able to get a good session in the last few days but have checked out roughly half the airfield and at best have found a couple of soda cans and chemlights.

The other thing I've found loads of is barbed wire and sandbags.. they're everywhere.

Can anyone help me out in finding some food/weapons? I'm pretty hungry!

Get off the coast. That airstrip is one of the more popular spots for anyone that just spawned so it's always picked clean.

Hit up some farm houses (black monopoly houses with "$" on the map) or tree stands (brown oil derricks on the map) a little ways inland.

Hit up a couple stands and a couple farm houses and you'll nearly always be armed with enough food and drinks to keep you alive to loot something else.

It is funny, sometimes when I respawn I find plenty of food/water but no big backpack to carry it all:( Other times I find no food but plenty of drink or vise versa... Sometimes I find nothing but cans and bottles:( Guess it is all just random and sometimes things swing your way and other they don't.

I remember spawning once nearly Electro and absolutely rinsing it for everything it had only to get spanked by a bandit when I next logged in on the outskirts. Its a tricky.

Last time I spawned I did hit up the deerstands but couldn't find any weaponry. I was in a town in the north and laid down on some stairs and my legs broke/nearly bled out. The upside was a player randomly found a tank, let my drive it and we were going to hit up Elektro for the hospital when the server dropped.. talk about unlucky. I came back with no tank on the other side of the map to this guy on a road in the middle of nowhere. I didn't even know how to kill myself and tried to jump on a grenade I found.. the grenade didn't go off! I then spent 30 mins crawling through the countryside before I figured it out. Sad times.

I'll head north and try and hit up some deerstands.

Forget about the cities along the coast. You die far to easily at the start if you go there. Run north. Find a supermarket and you will be good for a long time. Then once you get better stuff tackle the harder areas.

For me, it's easier to find food, drink, and bandages on zombies than it is to find elsewhere. So kill them with your hatchet and make sure to check them for loot. The first coastal town you find should give you a a few cans of food and some couple cola if you aggro each zombie one at a time. Beware of the larger coastal towns though.

(You need to go to your Gear and right click on your hatchet and "remove from toolbelt" to use it as a weapon.)

Once you're set make the move inland and look for barns. Winchesters will likely be found in them but avoid the shotguns if you can. I find the hatchet is better as it doesn't aggro the entire area. (note: zombies are forced to move slowly indoors, so making your stand in the barn is better than out in the open)

Look for deer stands. You're more likely to find a real rifle like the AK there. They're usually found near the borders of forests and clearings.

Grocery stores are good places to find larger backpacks and maps. They're easy to spot but popular locations so be on your guard. If you find matches, have a hatchet, and a hunting knife you're completely set to hunt animals in the wild. This is good if you're soloing as you can gain more health from cooked meat than canned meat. (eat when you're hunger is full to gain more blood)

Once you've got a good gun, head towards the larger airfields. Good luck.

I think it's a tad too easy, actually. It's not really a big achievement to accumulate an AK47, a decent backpack and ammo for your primary weapon to last for decades. I wish it was a bit harder and that that it would actually feel accomplishing to find a nice main weapon.

I think it's a tad too easy' date=' actually. It's not really a big achievement to accumulate an AK47, a decent backpack and ammo for your primary weapon to last for decades. I wish it was a bit harder and that that it would actually feel accomplishing to find a nice main weapon.

[/quote']

I agree, would like it to be a bit harder. More zombies.

Would also like to see zombie hordes randomly about the place. In woods etc. So you just can't sprint from place to place without having to worry about what you might run into.

The ONLY place i ever find a good gun though is at the North airfield. I never find them in Hunting towers or in normal houses

Thats the thing, I've gone through a number of smaller towns on the way to the airfield, and even in the airfield its just junk. My jackpot in over an hour on one server was a stash of chemlights and empty cans. To the point my character will start starving soon. Maybe I'm too cautious around zombies? I'd love an AK right about now. You'd think on an airbase they'd be atleast one piddly pistol kicking about.

Thats the thing' date=' I've gone through a number of smaller towns on the way to the airfield, and even in the airfield its just junk. My jackpot in over an hour on one server was a stash of chemlights and empty cans. To the point my character will start starving soon. Maybe I'm too cautious around zombies? I'd love an AK right about now. You'd think on an airbase they'd be atleast one piddly pistol kicking about.

[/quote']

The sooner you give up on there being any good loot near the coast, the sooner you'll get some of it.

That airfield has plenty of weapons but you're likely to die before you ever see one

Zombies drop soda and food pretty often, beyond that, your best bet is to hit a grocery, they're usually littered with canned goods.

The airfield is pretty much the worst place to be hanging about, since it's frequented too often on any server, hit the northern towns for grocery stores and big houses for general weapons etc.

I remember spawning once nearly Electro and absolutely rinsing it for everything it had only to get spanked by a bandit when I next logged in on the outskirts. Its a tricky.

Last time I spawned I did hit up the deerstands but couldn't find any weaponry. I was in a town in the north and laid down on some stairs and my legs broke/nearly bled out. The upside was a player randomly found a tank' date=' let my drive it and we were going to hit up Elektro for the hospital when the server dropped.. talk about unlucky. I came back with no tank on the other side of the map to this guy on a road in the middle of nowhere. I didn't even know how to kill myself and tried to jump on a grenade I found.. the grenade didn't go off! I then spent 30 mins crawling through the countryside before I figured it out. Sad times.

I'll head north and try and hit up some deerstands.

[/quote']

Hang on, sorry what ? a tank you say ? Tanks are not in DayZ to the best of my knowledge. Anyone else shed some light on this ?

Yeah, Grocery Stores are the absolute best for all-round gear. Bags, guns, watches, maps, compasses. If you're lucky you can get them all in one store. Apartments are also good for sidearms and food/drink. They're usually bricked buildings, either red, orange or beige. Hospitals for medical supplies (obviously), or military camps, tents and dead soldiers, there's one in Cherno. If you're out in the wilderness, barns and deer stands are the best for weapons. Airfields are risky but can be very rewarding. I did a run of Balota airfield earlier and managed to get an AK with about 5 mags. Once you know Cherno/Elektro's map, you can start doing loot-runs. You'll probably end up with a lot of drinks, guns and tools within 20 minutes.