Sign in to follow this  
Ronll

What mod is recommended?

Hello!,

I want to start playing Dayz, but there are too many options, standalone, mods for arma 1,2,3, and each has many more,

which is the most recommended, has the most players, is the most stable and vanilla like experience?

What do you recommend and why? 

Thanks!

Vanilla DayZ mod for Arma 2 would be my recommendation. It probably does not have the most players, but you should be able to find an active server. I would recommend it because in my opinion it is the hardest and most involved version of DayZ. Also, Arma 2 goes on sale for about $7. If that doesn't work for you there are plenty of other mods for Arma 2 that you can try, at no further cost. 

Standalone may be OK, I've never played it. I was in your position and someone said that I should try the mod. Never looked back.

I second Epoc568's recommendation. Go with the Original. It's the best. There are several good servers out there ranging in difficulty and population. Not saying the other mods don't have their merits and cool bits, but, as a player who's played DayZ from the beginning, I think Vanilla or something very close to it is the best choice.

I also agree it's harder than the others to get started. But, if you have the patience and are willing to learn as you go along, it's the best (imo).

Edited by jbraddock

Yes, vanilla dayz is still good and more than enough people still playing. I occasionaly play dayz origins which is similar to vanilla except new vehicles, dif map and has base building. It's fairly good and usualy a few high pop servers at a time.