CyberGuru

Setting up server questions

Hello,

About a year ago I setup Pwnz0rs server so me and a few friends could play.  This went very well.  Me and friends would like to play updated 1.8.6.1 dayz on our own private server.  I have downloaded all the server files but am at a loss on any comprehensive instructions for setting things up.  Am I missing them?  If anyone could point me in the right direction here I would be very thankful. 

Hello,

About a year ago I setup Pwnz0rs server so me and a few friends could play.  This went very well.  Me and friends would like to play updated 1.8.6.1 dayz on our own private server.  I have downloaded all the server files but am at a loss on any comprehensive instructions for setting things up.  Am I missing them?  If anyone could point me in the right direction here I would be very thankful. 

Hey man R4Z0R gives a pretty good turtorial here http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/225450-dayz-mod-1861/?p=2268932

Hey man R4Z0R gives a pretty good turtorial here http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/225450-dayz-mod-1861/?p=2268932

Thank you B@ker for the response.  I have to be missing something.  That is the thread I downloaded the server files from.  I dont see any instructions or tutorial for installing/setting up/configuring of the server files and database.  From memory last server I setup there were files that needed to be edited, and database creating and import  All I see in that thread is:

Quick Install Info:

Full

• Download Full Client Files.
  • Navigate to your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory
  • Extract the @Client-1.8.6.1-Full into your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory.
  • To start DayZ use a command line string like the below

This seems to be just for the client not the server.  I am hopeful that you have mis linked me and there is actually a tutorial somewhere.  Regardless thank you for the response.

• Like 1

Thank you B@ker for the response.  I have to be missing something.  That is the thread I downloaded the server files from.  I dont see any instructions or tutorial for installing/setting up/configuring of the server files and database.  From memory last server I setup there were files that needed to be edited, and database creating and import  All I see in that thread is:

Quick Install Info:

Full

• Download Full Client Files.
  • Navigate to your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory
  • Extract the @Client-1.8.6.1-Full into your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory.
  • To start DayZ use a command line string like the below

This seems to be just for the client not the server.  I am hopeful that you have mis linked me and there is actually a tutorial somewhere.  Regardless thank you for the response.

Database:

Install and setup mysql https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/ensure it uses 3306 as its connection port

Download and install HediSQL http://www.heidisql.com/installers/HeidiSQL_9.3.0.4984_Setup.exethen connect to your server with the credentials used in the mysql setup

Create a database called hivemind. Connect to hivemind

Run the SQL's included in the server package on your new hivemind database. (this will create the database for you) http://se1.dayz.nu/latest/1.8.6/SQL%201.8.6.rar

Server Installation:

Copy the addons folder from C:/your arma 2  installation folder/ to C:/your arma 2 oa installation folder/ (there are other ways to do this but this is the easiest)

Download and install(extract to) your client files (http://se1.dayz.nu/latest/1.8.6.1/@Client-V1.8.6.1-Full.rar) in  C:/your arma 2 oa installation folder/

Download and install(extract to) your server files (http://se1.dayz.nu/latest/1.8.6.1/@Server-V1.8.6.1-Full.rar) in  C:/your arma 2 oa installation folder/

Copy the items inside the "keys" folder located in the server package/files to C:/your arma 2 oa installation folder/keys and C:/your arma 2 oa installation folder/expansion/keys

Copy the items inside the https://github.com/DayZMod/Battleye-Filtersto  C:/your arma 2 oa installation folder/cfgdayz/BattlEye

Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x86 Redistributable http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328

Server setup. Very basic just enough to get it running and connectable to add custom stuff you will need more config edits:

Enter C:\your arma oa installaton folder\cfgdayz and edit HiveExt.ini in the section that says:

[Database]
;Hostname or IP of the server to connect to
;You can use the value "." (without quotes) to indicate named-pipe localhost connection
;If you leave this line commented or blank, HiveExt will connect to the OFFICIAL Hive, which requires registration
;See support.dayzmod.com for more information on what OFFICIAL Hive means, what are the rules, etc.
;If using OFFICIAL hive, the rest of the settings in this section have no effect
Host =  127.0.0.1 you may need to change this to your external ip but usually this is fine

;The default is MySql, which is better supported than Postgre (completely untested)
Type = MySql

;Port to connect to. The default is the default listening port of a server of the selected Type
;Instead of specifying Port, you can specify Socket and set Value to the socket name
Port = 3306

;Database name to connect to (you must supply this if private).
Database = hivemind
;Username to connect with
Username = yourusername
;Password to authenticate with (default is blank)
Password = yourpassword

navigate to  C:\your arma oa installaton folder\cfgdayz  and open server.cfg in the file navigate to:

// STEAM SETTINGS

and change to what is between it and "//voting" to

// STEAM SETTINGS

steamPort = 8792;

steamQueryPort = 27032;

so it looks like 

// STEAM SETTINGS

steamPort = 8792;

steamQueryPort = 27032;

// VOTING-

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 2; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

Then in the install directory (C:/your arma 2 oa installation folder/) create a new .txt document. in the document add the following:

@echo off

:start

:: start the server..
set dayzpath="C:\your arma 2 oa insallation folder\"
cd /d %dayzpath%
start "dayz" /min "arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 "-config=cfgdayz\server.cfg" "-cfg=cfgdayz\basic.cfg" "-maxMem=2047" -cpuCount=2 "-profiles=cfgdayz" "-name=cfgdayz" "-mod=@dayz;@hive;"

timeout 21600

taskkill /im arma2oaserver.exe /F

timeout 145

goto start

save the file as restarter.txt , once completed rename the extension to .bat leaving you with a file called "restarter.bat"

Double click the restarter.bat, the server should start and restart every 6 hours. But don't close the terminal window it is counting down for you. Enjoy. 

You will need unblock tcp/udp ports for 2302 if you haven't already and/or forward them if you are behind a router. 

I am doing this all from memory so if you hit any snags let me know i may have left something out.

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 2

thank you for the information.

I noticed the downloads don't have the the 'server.cfg' file.  I grabbed one I had from a previous version but I'm wondering if it is causing issues.

When i try to join the server, I get stuck in the "waiting on host" part.

'arma2oaserver.RPT' never moves beyond its original part as if a player never tried to join.

Any idea what I need to change?

EDIT:  Oops, all that was wrong was the wrong mission file name in config.

Edited by delpi

There's lots to learn! If you have any questions or problems drop a message and we'll see if we can get you sorted. Good luck!

Hi this is just what I was looking for, being a total noob in that kind of things.

I'm now at this step:

navigate to  C:\your arma oa installaton folder\cfgdayz  and open server.cfg in the file navigate to:

however, there's no server.cfg in my  C:\your arma oa installaton folder\cfgdayz.

Where can I find it?

I just got a new gaming pc and i was setting up my test server on it.  Everything seems fine, but when i try to connect to it from the same machine, I instantly get a session lost.  I've redone the install and checked everything here and in other guides.  I can't figure it out.

Tried turning off the firewall, that didn't change anything.  I ran the rest server on my old pc and connected from the new pc just to make sure. 

There are no error messages that I can find in the logs about it at all.  Just says disconnected.

Any ideas?

Hmm.... 

Sometimes Steam has issues with running a server and a client on the same box. This is something I haven't been able to do yet, and I think that it is the problem that you are facing.

Any specifics on when.  i've done it on 3 different computers with zero issues until this one.

I seem to be getting errors when I try and create the database, it keeps on asking for a dayzhivemind@% user and then does not create the tables. Can you break down the actual sql install a bit further as I think there is something missing.

Thanks in advance