WildGunsTomcat

Melee Weapon Petition

I think being able to rifle butt (to stun a zombie or push them back is alright) or using a combat knife to stab zombs to death (at severe risk of fatal damage during the fight), as a last resort but I don't want other melee weapons. Not really wanting things like frying pans, shovels, chainsaws or swords in this sort of game.

I think as a sneak attack only being effective (i.e you must be undetected for it to work effectively) would be a good implementation.

Then just really shite at all other times. That way you won't get hack'n'slash going on.

It's been mentioned, but I'll repeat:

ARMA 2 engine restrictions make it very, very difficult to implement melee weapons. So stop arguing how it's realistic/unrealistic and how it's sensible for game mechanics etc.

It's not happenning.

Melee would be nice. But not used as any other weapon.

The thing would be... You can kill with melee, but zombies can still bit you. So... melee would be in case of last resource and would be very risky to use in normal situations cause you could start bleeding cause a zombie attack.

For sure it would not be the melee type as L4D killing everyghing in front of you. That would ruin the game.

It's been mentioned' date=' but I'll repeat:

ARMA 2 engine restrictions make it very, very difficult to implement melee weapons. So stop arguing how it's realistic/unrealistic and how it's sensible for game mechanics etc.

It's not happenning.

[/quote']

Stop lying to people, it's not any harder than making a new ranged weapon, there are videos on youtube of mods already doing this. The difference between melee and ranged doesn't exist in code, only in your mind. In code the only difference is the effective range of the weapon, model, hitbox, character animation, and if it takes/what it takes for ammo.

yep, a survivor need a meele attack!

its really annoying if you run out of ammo and the only way to survive is to run...

There should be a simple melee option. I understand how having too powerful melee weapons could unbalance the game. But a 3" folding pocket knife, or hitting with an empty pistol, would make sense to put in. It would do very little damage against zeds, but it would give you the chance to fight back while you're being eaten, rather than running and running and running and running from 1 zombie you shot twice and is almost dead.

ARMA 2 engine restrictions make it very, very difficult to implement melee weapons. [/quote']

A melee weapon is simply a ranged weapon whose range is 1-2m. How can this possibly be a limitation of the engine?

Art for the weapon, a few unique swinging animations, and we're done. Ship it.

So can you post some citation for where you're getting the information that makes you believe this would be "very, very difficult?"

It's not happenning.

[/quote']

I agree. It is so frustrating when all those zeds keep shooting at you.

/sarcasm.end

I sat in the control options looking for the melee button for minutes...umm not to sound rude but hurry up and add melee, youve got realistic temperature,sicknesses all these features and no simple smack a zombie in the head feature but im sure you guys are making it as we speak for the next update so calm down peeps melee is coming....obviously.

Should just give us Shift + F like in the Life mods so we can knock zombies and players out lol.

It's not happenning.

[/quote']

I agree. It is so frustrating when all those zeds keep shooting at you.

/sarcasm.end

Well Shimmler, you should know that mega_karazcan is damn right. By the way you talk it seems you're new to ArmA, if thats right, you should let the ppl who know how the game mechanichs of ArmA works say if it is possible, avoiding that kind of nonsense jokes/sarcasm.

+1 for melee

Even a simple solution would suffice. Like a simple broom, pipe or wooden plank.

It should be silent, but weak and therefor dangerous to use.

i wouldn't mind a 'shank' option to come up on the mouse scroll menu if you're right behind some dude and you've got a knife. apart from that, i see no need for it.

After playing other Arma 2 Mods and seeing how easily they have applied melee, i don't see why Dayz doesnt have it. Hell you can even just throw in melee weapon models give them animations like the zeds, then just for the coding make it a weapon script with 2m range or something.

YES for some type of Melee

I don't see why a melee weapon couldn't be something that fired an invisible projectile 1m with the firing/reload animation being the player actually swinging the weapon model. It's the way a lot of FPSs do it.

I'm fairly sure rocket is planning on adding melee weapons it just takes some work because it doesn't already exist in the engine. You would only want to use it as a last resort anyway cause you can take a lot of damage while trying to hack an infected to death.

Melee weapons do need to be added at some point. Even just fists. This doesn't mean the game needs to be easier, it just needs to have more options for defense. Of course, Arma 2 isn't exactly an optimal game for melee. We'll get it eventually I'm sure.

I think there should be a melee. It would be a last resort... like the knife in the old resident evil games. The zombies in dayz attack quickly and hit hard, if you were fighting at melee range, you'd go down really quickly, but if you were out of ammo, it would be better than nothing.

How can you play this mod and think now having melee makes sense? I mean the only reason its not in the game is cuz of the system, which doesnt make it OK to NOT have melee, every single zombie movie game and story has zombies being cut the hell up by stuff, fix it please. you gave us a hatchet for wood give us a hatchet for zombies.

Though I feel like the game is more intense when you can only use guns and therefore ammo scavenging is important, melee weapons like machetes and chainsaws would only make sense in a zombie apocalypse...

Since this is a realism game, I approve of adding in melee weapons, but they must be well balanced so that you can't just go 100% melee and hack through zombie hordes like EZ mode on.

Guns must still be the most important primary weapon.

Clever OP.

I have to agree though, even when sneaking around there should be a way to take out a zombie quietly without alerting the rest of them. I always find myself having to fire whatever is in my hand, unfortunately it comes in the form of an extremely loud Winchester or some pistol, and then suddenly the whole town is after me.