Sign in to follow this  
cutzero

What settings do you use?

Just curious about what graphical settings you use. In some videos the game looks fantastic and in some vids it looks like... crap. Can anyone suggest a good graphic/fps tradeoff?

My current game shortcut using the latest beta patch (With improved Intel TBB4 memory allocator included in the patch):

"D:\Games\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -world=Utes -maxMem=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@DayZ

Link to beta patch, fully working in MP: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

I use:

Texture Detail: Very High (Doesn't really make my performance drop from Low to Very High)

Video Memory: Very High

AF: Very High

AA: Low in order to activate AToC for trees and grass (I got SMAA enabled using the latest beta patch so no jaggies for me)

Terrain Detail: Normal

Object Detail: Normal

Shadow Detail: High

HDR Quality: High

Pose Process effects: Disabled (I don't like the blur, if only there was a separate option for bloom, blur and ambient occlusion, the game looks way better with ambient occlusion but the bloom n blur ruins it)

In order to use SMAA with the latest beta patch:

1. Go to your My Documents/ArmA 2 folder

2. Open ArmA2OA.cfg with notepad

3. Add these lines in:

PPAA=3;

PPAA_Level=3;

4. Save

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg#ARMA_2:_Operation_Arrowhead

This really depends on your system specs. Keep in mind that if you want to record videos with FRAPS or other programs, you will be hogging more resources.

Start by running the game in your monitor native resolution. From there, you begin raising the detail levels until you see framerate drop. Then you start dialing the settings in selecting things that are important. A very very power hungry setting is shadows. Turning that up is very atmospheric but if you lack in the hardware department, you will lack in FPS.

It's a question of you finding a setup that works well on your machine. This is part of the fun. Not many PCs have the exact same specs/drivers/number of viruses and trojans hogging resources so performance will vary a lot between machines.

I have a GTX 460 and i7, and if I set it on native resolution I have to set most everything on Medium to keep a stable fps. The game still looks decent, but forests could look better.