Sign in to follow this  
gianni001

New to the Dayz mod (Vanilla) throw me some bones!

Hi all

So, long story short a couple of years ago I wanted to get into DayZ after wathcing a certain youtubers videos.. anyways, at the time it was all too hard and cumbersome with the mirid of mods and variations I just couldnt be bothered, so I waited for Arma 3 / Standalone.. Arma 3 brought with it Breaking Point which is awesome and I enjoy it alot, Standalone brought disappointment.

I recently found out Vanilla dayz was on the steam workshop and alot of people play it so I have downloaded it and jumped on some servers and had a play, it is a weird kind of refreshing I cant describe, a really good feeling of a zombie apocalypse that Breaking Point Arma 3 and Standalone dont give. I think I am lucky coming to the mod when it is in such a stable playable state.

Anyhoo.

Doing some research and looking at the change logs of the mod I am noticing some things, what is the town generator and how does it work? Does it spawn loot? As one thing I am noticing is the clear lack of enter able buildings and thus struggling to find substantial loot.

I was running around on US434 and noticed some huge fort in elektro where some fellow aussies helped me out killing some zambies, anyways, that rasied the question of base building / crafting, what is inolved? I cant find much info on the WIKI outside of the change log.. can someone point me in the right direction? 

Other things I noticed in the change log such as permanent fire places for bases and stuff, I am really interested in the 'base building' aspect (I want to avoid EPOCH, I dont hate it but its not 'dayz') so, id love some information on the in depth crafting functionality and any general help, treat me as a "noob" which is the feeling I get when I log in, I feeling of struggling to survive which is really cool something I dont get from the other iterations of the game, and I am not bagging Breaking Point OR SA, they are just different to the Dayz experience I am getting from the current revamped vanilla mod!

Thanks alot guys, appreciate the helpz!

• Like 1

As one thing I am noticing is the clear lack of enter able buildings and thus struggling to find substantial loot.

This made it great

• Like 1

This made it great

Made what great, I dont follow? I am finding loot on the door steps and stuff, I thought that town generator might spawn in loot though? Wasnt sure if I was reading it right or evne understanding its purpose for that matter!

• [New] - "town generator", which spawns litter/rumble/wrecks inside 500 meter bubble around the player.

There is plenty of loot.

Thrilling contribution.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I would be happy to play with you and show you the ropes... there is a lot of minutia.  Would be hard to put everything into a reply.

If you are willing to try EPOCH you might try FINALdayZ. It's the Epoch base building system (fairly simplified), but there is an advanced crafting system for most other things, including lockboxes, knives, shovels, meds, water bottles, etc. There are no traders. Don't expect high grade military loot. Don't expect to find vehicles everywhere. The only thing there are a lot of is Infected.

The Zed walk, but have really high health, often perform one-hit knock outs, and have 3-5x the spawn rate (really easy to get stuck in buildings surrounded by angry Zed). AI roam the island seeking new unarmed players, cold weather will kill you within an hour or two if you don't find other ways to keep warm, and there are missions galore, with almost no vehicles anywhere except on the AI.

It's based in Namalsk, so there's that. But the community is great, and even though it is Epoch (DayZ mod seems to have a much more rigorous--that is, hard/complicated/thought-out/in-depth--building system), I think it's worth a shot at least. Spend an hour there and see if it doesn't offer a similar feel to a new spawn on Chernarus with only flares and a bandage.

FWIW, the server owner ARTyom will be opening a harder server (again Epoch) based in Chernarus within the next two weeks (hopefully) in case Namalsk isn't your cuppa.

I know this was a shameless promotion (I mean, you were asking about DayZ mod), but I'm not the owner, or an admin (to be fair, I was made server forum mod just recently). I joined the server two weeks after getting ArmA II DayZ and have never had so much fun dying, and I want to at least give everyone that asks a chance to enjoy the Epoch mod at it's best. Maybe give it a shot? and thanks for reading/listening even though I was slightly off-topic.

On a more related note I am excited that base building is slowly making it's way into DayZmod, as that was really the number 1 thing it was missing to make it a true "survival" experience, and I'm glad the devs have managed to make that a reality. I just wish information on it was more readily available (and that there were more explorable buildings in the vanilla mod, but that's another topic).

We are working on the buildings side. As for info id also like to see more info added but I also feel not having the info about every little item in game helps.

Experiment with different stuff and learn from your own mistakes. Not mistakes others have made

• Like 2

The wiki is currently only updated by a few people with me probably being the most active. I haven't checked in few days but i don't think anyones added any base building pages yet, and i haven't gotten around to building anything yet so i can't really put any helpful information up.

However, if i had to guess, base parts are crafted primarily from wooden logs you can get from cutting down trees. Right click on them like you would food and see what options come up.

You can also craft some gear by hitting "I" and selecting "craft".