Sign in to follow this  
grrinc

PvP and other play style - a suggestion to facilitate them all

A suggestion to make PvP aspect of the game enjoyable for everyone. Read the whole thread before replying please.

First off, this is most certainly not an anti pvp post. The pvp aspect of the game adds a terrifying edge to the whole experience and it needs to stay.

However..... it has now become the only way to play the game. It is essentially the most rewarding way to play and reduces other game styles to that of simply one of always hiding. A balance need to be met. This is my idea......

Skins - yeah I know it has been tried but hear me out.

At the beginning of the game, one must select his character intentions. Either good or bad. A skin is then assigned that is recognisably different, but only when reasonably close. Keep it subtle.

" but hang on!! " - you ask - " why would someone look different just because they have good or bad intentions? "

Good question!!. Here's the answer. In life we can make judgement calls based on our wits, experiences, gut feeling, and what we glean from the art of conversation. The Arma2 engine does not facilitate that. We are simply all given a cookie cutter skin that lacks any of the nuances we would expect in real life. But by implementing a subtle visual clue, this could be the games way of telling folk - 'this guys is not trustworthy.'

" but wait " - you say - " say if someone selects good guy, but still PK's? "

Another good question, well done!! Here is my solution. Bad players get to play as bad as they like, when they like. As said before, the only disadvantage is that there is a small visual clue that reveals their mean streak.

Good players however, get penalised when they descend into a life of murder and greed. For every murder, they take on a psychosis that exponentially effects their sanity. They start to shake and perhaps hallucinate. They also start to involuntary talk to themselves, which others may hear. This can be

addressed by use of narcotics that the players must scavenge like any other item. And a dependency can form too. A good guy turned bad will start having to hide his intentions from his party. Extended periods of peaceful living would also contribute to reducing the effects.

This idea offers much fairness and facilitates many play styles, whilst sticking to an approximation of real life behaviour.

* PvP matches can happens as usual. Those that enjoy

* Anyone can change their play style when they feel like

* Good guys can still be untrustworthy - keeping the paranoia element alive

* Community spirited players can thrive and team up with a touch more confidence.

Obviously - this is just a few ideas. I'd like to know what you think and perhaps find any bad points that I have failed to realise.

No... PvP is fine as it is, just don't be a dumbass and trust everyone and you won't be killed, avoid people or only trust people you absolutely KNOW can be trusted.

Which means almost nobody, i myself have betrayed many people via teamspeak or skype and lied to them saying "someone shot at me too!". The game is built this way, you either are paranoid of everyone or stick to a small group.

No... PvP is fine as it is' date='

[/quote']

You never read the thread did you? PvP will still stay exactly as it is. Players wishing to terrorize other still can. Players wishing to take on other groups still can.

a bit of this had been tried with the banditskins a while ago' date=' hasnt it?

[/quote']

Yes it did. My suggestion is to bring it back but with some tweaks.

Well even if the differences are subtle. The second you notice them it is either, your dead, or you kill them. Plus i don't think this game can be that in depth. It's still just a game. Doing that would make it too... Dumb...

First of all, Royce your a piece of shit.

But I want you to know why I think your a piece of shit, and most likely the better part of Dayz community thinks your a piece of shit.

It is not betraying, that is part of the game, its the fact you defend the extremity that KoS has taken in Dayz is fine and reject all ideas pertaining to culling KoS without even suggesting ways to better said ideas.

This is alpha, Rocket has said he wanted players to work together aswell as kill each other, as of right now, KoS is the only reasonable option ingame.

As for your idea Grrinc, I do not approve.

1. It is not realistic to be marked good or bad.

2. It is lazy and removes you from game immersion if this was to be put in as the way they handled this situation.

There will be friendlies, there will be cunts.

At the moment there is no whats so fucking ever difference between these two visually.

In the future if they managed to push aside the people who want the game their way, and retain the way of bringing more game immersion actions.

I.E instead of being marked from the beginning , the actions they choose since being created will leave effects onto said character.

As in getting blood on said character if you were to loot a player's corpse.

Along with this potentially telling you of what that character has done, it will make all players think before they loot a player's corpse.

Specter - Yeah I see your points. But like I said, the game engine doesn't facilitate a method of folk being able to weigh someone up. A skin with a minor alteration would be a compromise, not necessarily an ideal solution.

Regarding your points....

Looting is then made a 'crime' when it shouldn't be. Folk would walk past many dead bodies that they never even shot, to avoid being tagged a murderer.

Also, snipers who shoot from afar and have no intention of looting avoiding getting tagged too.

Plus, folk who have murderers intention from spawn but have yet to kill are also seen as good guys. One can play this game for many hours before having enough time to kill or loot.

Thanks for chipping in. It seems as though a solution is far off that would encourage role playing elements rather than all out death match.

Looting is then made a 'crime' when it shouldn't be. Folk would walk past many dead bodies that they never even shot' date=' to avoid being tagged a murderer.

Also, snipers who shoot from afar and have no intention of looting avoiding getting tagged too.

Plus, folk who have murderers intention from spawn but have yet to kill are also seen as good guys. One can play this game for many hours before having enough time to kill or loot.

[/quote']

You look at it from wrong perspective, looting isn't a crime, there is just a cause and effect from looting now.

As I doubt you would be able to loot a corpse without getting some sort of blood on your, just a little.

It makes you think whether its worth it, and adds slight realism that if a player dies in this world, it would cause some blood to be on their body, aswell as if the corpse its still there, the blood hasn't dried up yet.

You should stray away from the thoughts of seeing things as consequences and instead look at them for what they are, features.

None of them alone will tell you enough, but say if there were enough cause and effects in this game, you could tell what a player has potentially done from a distance and size it up to see if its worth taking the risk.

The blood from looting a dead player's corpse or killing another player in close range is just 1 cause in effect that could be implemented in a logical way.

As for snipers, the problem is the game is that guns are too abundant, as well as duplication glitch, as well as zombies being too easy.

Guns can be made less abundant when both zombies's pathing are fixed as well as there being more melee weapons and potentially a melee slot.

Duplication will be fixed in due time.

Zombies would be made harder when guns are made less abundant, forcing melee against them most of the time.

As for anyone who respawns, if the loot system was changed to make guns less abundant, they would have to potentially work together with others before they could betray them by getting close, or getting lucky with a gun.

At the moment of KoS the above will be a god send even if it allows more betrayals as now you would have to think if you would want to trust someone to help you over take specific spots that are too risky to do alone.

It is a work in progress, we will eventually find the right mix of everyone's ideas.

analogy:

I am asked to take a multiple choice test

First off I decide to answer a b c d e a a c c e d b c a e a c d b

Then i see the questions

Finally the examiner tells me how fucked I am

gtfo OP

analogy:

Then i see the questions

gtfo OP

No fuck you.

Only logical answer to a person whos only response is to shut down an idea without suggesting anything to make it better.

This is the suggestion forums, we bring ideas together, criticize , explain, but we do not shut down each other's idea without explaining why or trying to suggest something better.

Try using more thought in this part of the forum or only be seen as another shit stain on our window blocking our view ahead.

Use the search Button!!! These suggestions have all been dicussed in the last 3 Days. I'm not against aruing about it but don't make so many new threads.

analogy:

Then i see the questions

gtfo OP

Thanks for your input. It meant nothing but have a sticker for 'trying hard' anyway.

Use the search Button!!! These suggestions have all been dicussed in the last 3 Days. I'm not against aruing about it but don't make so many new threads.

My suggestions were made 4 days ago and they haven't been mentioned before. Regardless, Specter has shone a light on them and I can see his angle. If the presence of a thread is concerning you, bumping it doesn't help.

I find it funny how only bandits are against skins. As they are too scared to fight someone outright.

But I seriously think some form of identification IS needed to turn this death-match back into a survival game. At the moment KoS is the only way to live, which sucks, because pre-skin removal, the game was a survival adventure about co-operation in dire circumstances, with bandits preying on you when you are in trouble. Now, every person you see tries to kill you instantly, and if you try to be friendly, you will be a corpse in seconds. KoS-ing has ruined the survival feeling, turning it into another FPS deathmatch.

I like the idea. It has been pointed out that it would remove from immersion and realism; however, consider that the current game is not realistic in that people would not be killing everyone they see on sight if this, post-apocalyptic situation were real. In turn this makes it impossible to immerse yourself in the game when meeting a stranger in the world of DayZ. While it may not be a perfect fix, I think it would allow some immersion when meeting other players, by allowing options other than kill, die, or hide.

I would like to see another feature introduced to your idea: dynamic characters. Obviously this would need to be tweaked as I didn't spend too much time developing the idea.

What I mean by dynamic characters is the ability to go from good to bad and vice versa. An example would be someone who chose to play as a "good" character who ends up killing people would get the shakes and go a bit insane as you said, but eventually he would just become bad, his skin would change to show that and his insanity would fade over some time for game balance sake. Alternately a "bad" character could burn off murder counts or slowly go up from negative karma. This would take a very long time which could be supplemented with the killing of other "bad" players.

The insanity sticking to a "good" player gone "bad" for a while, would make it so people wouldn't automatically choose to play a "good" player to be able to trick others as their insanity would take some time to wear off and they would be at a disadvantage until then. Also there would be a "perma-red" or "bad" forever status since raising your karma from killing a ton of people would take ages. People wouldn't just be able to sit afk in the forest burning off counts/raising karma over time.

Like I said the, I like the idea. This FPS game needs changes if it wants to be a survivor simulator. What do you think about what I proposed?