Sign in to follow this  
Calcey

suggestion to make player think twice about PK

A few days ago, when I was playing the game I came up with an idea, which kinda build itself the more I played the game.

I know there's a few threads out there suggestion a morale system, that affects your hunger, murders, zombie kills and temperature.

and it seems that the response on it has been quite poor, people tend to not like that your character gets "downgraded" just because you made a decision in game, whether it's killing zombies or killing other players.

But, I'm suggesting a morale system which only affects your murder count.

let's say you have killed 2 people, your aim starts to shake a bit, and the screen gets slightly blurry, and when you take out more players the effects gets worse and worse (of course there must be a limit)

To get rid of this you'll need some sort of antidepressant which rarely spawns in houses and hospitals.

now, I know that not everyone will like this idea, but I seriously can't see an end to the kill on sight if the game itself doesn't take action for you.

It's a sandbox game.

Players shape the game, not some moral system.

If you want to establish laws, get others that agree and start to enforce them.

And every time a survivor eats he gets cramps and can't run for ten minutes or log off due to his sensitive immune system.

But' date=' I'm suggesting a morale system which only affects your murder count.

let's say you have killed 2 people, your aim starts to shake a bit, and the screen gets slightly blurry, and when you take out more players the effects gets worse and worse (of course there must be a limit)

To get rid of this you'll need some sort of antidepressant which rarely spawns in houses and hospitals.

now, I know that not everyone will like this idea, but I seriously can't see an end to the kill on sight if the game itself doesn't take action for you.

[/quote']

Given the fact that i'm a stone cold killer, this should not affect me... right?

It's a sandbox game.

Players shape the game' date=' not some moral system.

[/quote']

This is exactly how I feel

It's a sandbox game.

[/quote']

This is exactly how I feel

Agreed. Players should not be punished by the game for wanting to kill other players.

PvP is not a game mechanic problem - it doesn't require a "fix" like other issues, such as combat logging or server loot-hopping.

PvP is an in-game problem that can only be solved by in-game efforts. Sniper at Cherno? Instead of running around dodging him, how about you observe for his location and hatchet him in the back? Guys camping NWA? Set up sniper overwatch and protect people going in.

The main complainers are people who play solo, who get shot and have no chance to retaliate. Team up and work in groups - their stories usually involve "He got John, but we flushed the sniper out and got John's stuff back" instead of "I got sniped FOR NO RAISON and respawned across the map."

Don't punish people for PvP. PvP is, in fact, the game's way of telling you that soloing is a dumbass thing to do in a zombie apocalypse.

IMO, the only "fix" PvP needs is a nerfing of snipers. Throw in wind? Eliminate 90% of the snipers (solo CoD kiddies with no spotter). Stop server hopping for loot? Eliminate 95% of the snipers. Stop combat logging? Cripes, you'd actually see snipers get killed!

A few days ago' date=' when I was playing the game I came up with an idea, which kinda build itself the more I played the game.

I know there's a few threads out there suggestion a morale system, that affects your hunger, murders, zombie kills and temperature.

and it seems that the response on it has been quite poor, people tend to not like that your character gets "downgraded" just because you made a decision in game, whether it's killing zombies or killing other players.

But, I'm suggesting a morale system which only affects your murder count.

[/quote']

If there ever was a real zombie apocalypse people like you would be the first to die. "IM FRIENDLY DERP DERP DERP" Ya well I just killed you because I need your stuff and what are you going to do about it now that you are dead and there are no laws to punish me? Seriously tired of reading these "PUNISH PKERS OH MY GAWD" threads. Fucking nut up and shoot back or go play something else.

PvP is not a game mechanic problem - it doesn't require a "fix" like other issues' date=' such as combat logging or server loot-hopping.

PvP is an in-game problem that can only be solved by in-game efforts. Sniper at Cherno? Instead of running around dodging him, how about you observe for his location and hatchet him in the back? Guys camping NWA? Set up sniper overwatch and protect people going in.

The main complainers are people who play solo, who get shot and have no chance to retaliate. Team up and work in groups - their stories usually involve "He got John, but we flushed the sniper out and got John's stuff back" instead of "I got sniped FOR NO RAISON and respawned across the map."

Don't punish people for PvP. PvP is, in fact, the game's way of telling you that soloing is a dumbass thing to do in a zombie apocalypse.

[/quote']

I like this too, thank you!

PVP is OK.

Problem is DC exploits, ghosting and cheaters.

Also lack of proper communication channels.

Add One identify for one player.

Let people communicate(bring back the side channels or add radios).

Add logout timer, fix dc exploits, server hopping etc.

And PVP will become great.

Now it is just broken.

I don't think people should be punished for PvP either, but I do wish there was some incentive to work with people. For instance, if you could actually clear an area of zombies for, say, ten minutes so you could loot it, people might actually team up instead of just killing the people who spent hours collecting gear.

...But then again, bandits would probably rove around listening for gunshots so they could kill the players who just cleared an area. I guess there will always be bandits....

Why are people constantly coming up with gamey suggestions to stop banditry.

Here's an idea, stay the fuck out of plain sight and show some patience.

Scout the area first.

now' date=' I know that not everyone will like this idea, but I seriously can't see an end to the kill on sight if the game itself doesn't take action for you.

[/quote']

Since when has the "kill on sight" strategy been a bad one?

If you lone wolf and avoid other players you will survive -THE LONGEST- compared to ANY other strategy.

If you run around killing people, you are putting yourself in danger. Depending on how good you are with a gun, you are either increasing your high value loot chances, or increasing your chance of dying.

If you try to make friends, you will be betrayed. It happens. People WILL kill you for your things. You are in the way of other people's survival.

The game is much harder to play "The Friendly". It is the easiest to play "The Bandit" and it is the most patient person who plays "The Loner". Notice how longest survived player isn't in a bandit clan? ;)

Btw, it's already been said that there will be no "Handicaps" for killing other players. If you are smart, you will survive, like in real life.

Against it - if I wanna play a ruthless killer, playing for my own benefit without remorse, I want to be able to do that without having disadvantages.

The game is very good as it is - instead of implementing huge gamechanging stuff they should just fix all the bugs and create a stable version 1.0.0 - when this stands they can implement all the stuff like towns or whatever, as then there will be servers running the game vanilla and others run all the new stuff and people can decide what they like without being forced into some new gamechanging mechanic.

The game is very good as it is - instead of implementing huge gamechanging stuff they should just fix all the bugs and create a stable version 1.0.0 - when this stands they can implement all the stuff like towns or whatever' date=' as then there will be servers running the game vanilla and others run all the new stuff and people can decide what they like without being forced into some new gamechanging mechanic.

[/quote']

To all - I never said I disliked the game, nor did I say that I wanted to stop playing it, you make it sound that way with your hatred comments.

anyway, So you're saying that if a real zombie APOC. happened you would run around killing other humn beings? I know I wouldn't, but I am forced to do so in the game, since everyone equipped with some sort of weapon, goes right after my gut.

To Taron - I agree on what you said, I mean it is a pretty huge "fix" so to say, just an idea that came across my mind.

The game is very good as it is - instead of implementing huge gamechanging stuff they should just fix all the bugs and create a stable version 1.0.0 - when this stands they can implement all the stuff like towns or whatever' date=' as then there will be servers running the game vanilla and others run all the new stuff and people can decide what they like without being forced into some new gamechanging mechanic.

[/quote']

To all - I never said I disliked the game, nor did I say that I wanted to stop playing it, you make it sound that way with your hatred comments.

anyway, So you're saying that if a real zombie APOC. happened you would run around killing other humn beings? I know I wouldn't, but I am forced to do so in the game, since everyone equipped with some sort of weapon, goes right after my gut.

To Taron - I agree on what you said, I mean it is a pretty huge "fix" so to say, just an idea that came across my mind.

Stop being a pansy ass and shoot back or stay out of cities. The bandits are in game for a reason. Rocket ( The developer ) didnt want this game to be a sissy la-la queer hand holding game where you and your mouth breathing team of super friends can go skipping through the streets with flowers and rainbows cooperating and chanting "RA RA TEAM WORK! YAAAAAAAY!" without a chance that someone might come along and shatter your pre-mature wet dream of a perfect post apocalyptic world of friendship and faggotry. Get over bandits or get a different game. Simple.

[i have been warned for this post - Ubi]

Stop being a pansy ass and shoot back or stay out of cities. The bandits are in game for a reason. Rocket ( The developer ) didnt want this game to be a sissy la-la queer hand holding game where you and your mouth breathing team of super friends can go skipping through the streets with flowers and rainbows cooperating and chanting "RA RA TEAM WORK! YAAAAAAAY!" without a chance that someone might come along and shatter your pre-mature wet dream of a perfect post apocalyptic world of friendship and faggotry. Get over bandits or get a different game. Simple.

Lol nice rage my good sir, oh and real original on the "go play something else" part.

damn, people in these forums just keeps getting worse and worse, hell even the TF2 forums are better and more polite.

I really never said anything about teamwork, I just adressed the issue.

No need to go in complete butthurt mode :)

Lol nice rage my good sir' date=' oh and real original on the "go play something else" part.

damn, people in these forums just keeps getting worse and worse, hell even the TF2 forums are better and more polite.

[/quote']

Stop trying to water down and make the PvP of this game worthless. The PVP is a harsh fact of reality. In a post apocalyptic world not everyone you meet is going to want to friend you on facebook ( which would give you a total of 1 friend ) People like me and many others would kill or be killed. Sorry the truth hurts but so does reading these dumb ass fag posts about making the games pvp punishable.

Lol nice rage my good sir' date=' oh and real original on the "go play something else" part.

[/quote']

Stop trying to water down and make the PvP of this game worthless. The PVP is a harsh fact of reality. In a post apocalyptic world not everyone you meet is going to want to friend you on facebook ( which would give you a total of 1 friend ) People like me and many others would kill or be killed. Sorry the truth hurts but so does reading these dumb ass fag posts about making the games pvp punishable.

Listen, if you can't deal with a suggestion, I Would urge you to stay out of the suggestion board.

Also, to those that don't like the idea of the game taking actions for you, there's already a hunger and temp system ingame, which slows you down, I Assume you also want that removed?

It's a sandbox game.

[/quote']

The game doesn't have any of the real world systems that encourage social behavior in the real world. The fundamental way that mortality, entertainment, and the existence of items in DayZ works encourages HEAVILY the status quo in place right now. Not to mention the absurd levels of anonymity that the multitude server system provides.

You're pretty much just absolutely wrong.

We need extrinsic motivators to control the population and encourage or discourage players from straying from the desired play style. However, I think at the same time, players should never be made to not be allowed to murder everyone they see on site, but it should be something they have made a specific choice to do, consequences be damned, just like it is in the real world.

There needs to be some downside to killing others, currently there is no reason not to do so. But artificially limiting the player's abilities is not fun, and is thus not an alternative.

My opinion about this "problem":

Dayz is not 100 percent PvP game. Its a game about survival. Game about efforts and lots of hard working. It is hard when you got killed. All your hard working is gone in a second. What is harder for me is that there is a player who hunt other players and camp for kills just for FUN. Ok.... its good to have a fun but than u not playing the game. Only thing that u do is ruining some other player game.

@ZombieGrin:

"If there ever was a real zombie apocalypse people like you would be the first to die. "IM FRIENDLY DERP DERP DERP" Ya well I just killed you because I need your stuff and what are you going to do about it now that you are dead and there are no laws to punish me? Seriously tired of reading these "PUNISH PKERS OH MY GAWD" threads. Fucking nut up and shoot back or go play something else."

Did u ever think that maybe is other way to acquire something that u need or u are just to lazy to acquire this by actually making some efforts other than killing ppls. This is not 100 percent PvP game. Go play CoD or BF3.

But.....On the other way... your words are the perfect examples of typical human thinking. In real zombie outbreak... its not zombies who will destroy us... but the people themselves.

I agree with the rest, although i dont like Bandits its stuff like that which keeps the game interesting and always keeps you on the edge. Its a live breathing world which has no rules, thats what makes this game perfect. You probably have seen youtube of players meeting other survivors and just screaming theyre heads off right ? Cause they dont know what they can do.

Players should be able to do what they want without any "penalty"

I do not think that PKing should be penalized actively through game mechanic. (Just for clarification, I never play bandit)

I ran into excellent post regarding PvP discussion which i completely agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp6wNItfq_g

Summary is:

1. Make zombies much harder (bigger swarms, more dangerous, or something)

2. Make more items like blood bags that force collaboration (i.e. reduce helth regen from cooked meat (so you need to spam much more), making transfusion even more precious

The idea is that known PKs will be less self reliant than they are today. Survivors, even bandits will be in teams which is ok, but PKers that tend to be lone wolves will have much harder time surviving on their own.

The bottom line is, if the environment aspect (zombies, weather, dangerous wildlife) is even more unforgiving, the sheer risk of dying would make people group up more for extra protection.