phisher34

Definitive Side Chat / Server Message, Will I get Blacklisted thread?

There are a few side chat threads on the forums, each one can give a reader a conflicting view.

Side Chat

As I understand it, Rocket said he prefers not to have Side Chat on but won't blacklist servers that choose to. This is coupled with the fact that eventually a radio-type feature will be implemented that will remove the need for side chat. (This is coming from user posts I have no direct link, if someone wants to provide it)

This started with the TX server who said the mission file was edited by a DayZ Dev per request. The actual change is incredibly easy to make which led several others (including ours) to turn it back on until the above feature is introduced.

Some DayZ devs or community members have said they don't believe it is allowed but no one knows definitively as others have said it is okay for now.

The (temporary) case for side chat

We turned it on, on our server and have noticed a 180 degree change for the better. Players who want to work together, can. Bandits who want to stalk and hunt someone across the map, can as well. VOIP is still enabled and just monitored for people broadcasting in side. (Which was always the case before it was removed)

Our server used to empty to 10 or less players at night, now it stays full as I assume people are more confident in meeting up. The new player benefits and overall experience in my opinion has been improved.

Not to mention, half the time when people ask anything it is: "What server is this?" So friends can join or they can remember to come back later. (We have it in our MOTD as well)

I think until a way to communicate over larger distances is introduced (via radio) this is the best temporary solution. Though, if today Rocket wants all servers to revert back I am happy to do so.

System Messages

Our server also turned on the server messages, this is the Connecting / Disconnecting messages, as well as those that are kicked from battleye or by an admin. It is done the same way as side chat being added.

There is only one main reason we turned it back on and that was to identify players who routinely disconnect mid firefight. We used to have Crosshairs turned on which ID'd players. So if you were pointing your gun at them and shooting, you could see who it was and then see them disappear or look at the player menu. Once we turned crosshairs off there was no way to determine who just disconnected from the firefight.

This again, will probably be fixed in a future update with a disconnect timer or other game feature.

My personal feelings on Side Chat / Server Messages are that they should be allowed until features are introduced to the fill the gap by removing them in the first place. I have noticed a real improvement and just overall better experience since turning it on and I know others have as well.

EDIT: Others are doing a great job of pointing out below that the ability to Admin a server was greatly hampered when Side Chat was turned off. I have run into this a couple times as well, where a problem couldn't be addressed as there was no way to quickly contact an admin.

On a small tangent. I have friend who plays that is deaf/mute. He told me that when Side Chat was removed it was basically like playing a single player game.

He can't hear others that talk using direct VOIP and has shared some sad stories of him basically having to type out: "I am friendly, don't shoot, no sound can't hear you talk" It usually ends with him getting shot before he can finish the sentence.

I know that when radio's are introduced it won't help him much either, but he does appreciate having the ability to communicate now.

This was posted in the middle of the DDoS attack, hopefully a dev member will comment.

Nice and informative post. I totally agree that side chat should be allowed to be restored at least until a new feature is implemented to replace it. For me personally, I don't like having Direct Communication as my only option, and I'm sure many users feel this way.

Side chat is needed so that players can admins when there is an apache blowing up chernogorsk. Until there is a way for players to talk directly to admins, or for admins to monitor players activity then it needs to come back.

Nice and informative post. I totally agree that side chat should be allowed to be restored at least until a new feature is implemented to replace it. For me personally' date=' I don't like having Direct Communication as my only option, and I'm sure many users feel this way.

[/quote']

This.

Side chat is needed so that players can admins when there is an apache blowing up chernogorsk. Until there is a way for players to talk directly to admins' date=' or for admins to monitor players activity then it needs to come back.

[/quote']

I also agree with this. Before side chat was removed, I as an admin could 100% administer the server more effectively by talking directly with the players. Now it is virtually impossible for me to gather feedback on whether or not the server is running smoothly.

Side chat is needed so that players can admins when there is an apache blowing up chernogorsk. Until there is a way for players to talk directly to admins' date=' or for admins to monitor players activity then it needs to come back.

[/quote']

This all falls on the server admins. Im the host of 3 servers all with side chat disabled and my members never have an issue getting a hold of me some how. Teamspeak, email, phone, skype, etc. All my contact information is posted on my website and the url is rotated in the server messages.

As for the OP. Side chat being disabled is frowned upon. If you need support with your server, I won't help you if you're modifying the mission files after being asked not to by rocket. You said yourself rocket said not to modify the mission files. Why make a thread asking if its okay. I think you answered your own question in the OP.

My personal answer: DO NOT MODIFY MISSION FILES. Rocket does things the way he does for a reason. You should respect his decisions and not modify his work.

Dizzy,

I am asking for a definitive answer, I am saying that I don't have one. I have never seen one from Rocket.

As I clearly pointed out, the information I have is gathered from several other threads on this forum. None of which ever got an official response and even conflicting messages from Dev members and community mods.

I also said that what I read was that Rocket preferred people not do it, but allowed it if servers want to. There is a difference between this stance and not allowing it at all.

I am also not going to be giving out my personal info (skpe, phone number) to the general public in order to admin a server.

I understand your concern Phisher but the definitive answer is modifying of any of the DayZ mission or addon files is strictly prohibited.

I still agree with Phisher - most of us don't have websites dedicated for a DayZ server nor do we necessarily want to give away personal contact information. I also was not aware that you could rotate server messages in such a manner. Could you please explain how to do so for me?

Thanks

I've gotten several PM's from server admins asking how to turn side chat / server messages back on.

There is definitely a void out there that people are trying to remedy.

Ninja Edit:

Thank you Dante,

Can it be assumed that servers will be blacklisted if they keep side chat on.

I will be turning it off when I get home if that is the case.

The main question still remains unanswered: Will the server be blacklisted if such changes are made?

I would also love to know the answer to this question. I would love to have Side Chat enabled on my server as I do feel it gives players a way to communicate and it does foster a nicer community with growth.

The main question still remains unanswered: Will the server be blacklisted if such changes are made?

Yes because they are breaking the rules of modifying files.

Yes because they are breaking the rules of modifying files.

Thanks for the answer, it's really appreciated.

I guess we'll just have to wait to see what Rocket decides to do.

This is where the confusion comes in and why I think people are looking to Rocket to give word:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/volmh/i_had_the_chance_to_talk_to_rocket_today/

A few things that we talked about that server admins will find interesting are about side chat and in-game voice. If you have side chat enabled, it will not get your server blacklisted but is certainly not approved as it's not part of the project.
Side chat being enabled is NOT a bannable offense. It's ROCKETS own words.

I agree with PHisher about side chat. If something is going to be implemented to take its place, then side chat should be left in till the concept is completed.

The main point behind it is "I would love to have Side Chat enabled on my server as I do feel it gives players a way to communicate and it does foster a nicer community with growth"

From personal experience, I can see someone over 1000m away, but even at 150m, they might as well be on another world. Im not risking getting within 80m just so i can see if the guy is going to blow my head off or not.

Well for it being not allowed there sure are A LOT of servers with it. I think if they actually black listed servers with side chat enabled they can say goodbye to about 1/3 of the servers lol

I still wish we had a 100% reliable answer. I would absolutely love to enable side chat, but not at the risk of becoming blacklisted. The majority of the community wants side chat back, so why not allow it until that new feature is implemented? Seriously, side chat has so many advantages and it wouldn't be fair to blacklist servers because of it.

So wait a minute, from what I am understanding from this thread is that the only way to actually get server messages re-enabled is to modify the mission file, but that is a strict no no per rocket. So the only way to actually have this done without getting blacklisted is to have a dev do it, but I assume devs won't be spending their time re-enabling side chat on servers which now leads to some servers having it because they know the devs or are friendly with them and others being S.O.L. because we don't know them/aren't friends with them. How is this a fair landscape?

It really shouldn't be this hard to get a reliable answer about this. Can someone grow a set and lay it out straight so we don't have to continually guess about shit like this? It is really getting old playing these word games.

If I am not allowed to alter the mission file, but side chat/server messages are not a blacklistable offense and the only way to do that is to alter the mission file, isn't that effectively the same thing as saying if you enable side chat/server messages you will be blacklisted?

I agree. I really wish Rocket or someone could give us a straight up answer with this. Obviously blacklisting all those servers with side chat would cause a total outrage because there are so many of them.

I agree. I really wish Rocket or someone could give us a straight up answer with this. Obviously blacklisting all those servers with side chat would cause a total outrage because there are so many of them.

Which leads to only one of two options:

1. People are altering their mission file themselves and are not being blacklisted for it.

2. Many of the server owners know and are on friendly terms with the devs.

Given the amount of servers that have it I am assuming number 2 is not the actual answer, though I could be totally wrong.

Please can I get a plain, black and white, straight up answer to a legit question about hosting a server? Am I able to turn on server messages/side chat myself, or do I have to have a dev do it. If a dev is the only one that can do it, can I please get a dev to alter our mission file because without that you are binding my hands as an administrator from doing something that you have listed as an exploit.

Which leads to only one of two options:

1. People are altering their mission file themselves and are not being blacklisted for it.

2. Many of the server owners know and are on friendly terms with the devs.

Given the amount of servers that have it I am assuming number 2 is not the actual answer' date=' though I could be totally wrong.

Please can I get a plain, black and white, straight up answer to a legit question about hosting a server? Am I able to turn on server messages/side chat myself, or do I have to have a dev do it. If a dev is the only one that can do it, can I please get a dev to alter our mission file because without that you are binding my hands as an administrator from doing something that you have listed as an exploit.

[/quote']

As I understand it, you can change it yourself very easily if you have access to your mission file. Let me look at it and I'll PM you with details if I find any.