Rungsberry

Idea to help friendly players stay friendly

Exactly Vertisce, the fact that you didn't know if you could ultimately trust him or not is completely un-nerving. But you took THE CHANCE, and in THIS case you got lucky and have a partner. When you have to defend your belongings, strength in numbers is always better. That's why i usually play the game with two close friends. And we still all get killed by bandits. They had bigger numbers. And, we did not threaten them. They just attacked us. By far, PC's are much more dangerous than the zombies (NPC's).

I like the game the way it is also. Bug fixes are great. But, screwing with the nature of anarchy and chaos of the game to make a couple of people feel better would have me move onto another game. Because this one would be ruined by the whiners. Boo hoo... i keep getting bandit killed. Learn from your mistakes, and learn how to avoid getting caught with your pants down and survive. You cannot be careless. Even then... you will still get killed. But hopefully it will be much less as you learn from your mistakes.

I don't think the idea's shown so far are reliable enough. The white arm bands can be abused. It's a free ticket to trust that nobody deserves, ever.

Signals are cool but like the arm bands, it can still be abused and who wants to spent time looking for a white patch when nerves are tense and triggers are loose.

Body language is important. You can't make contact with a person if they are sprinting around, you'd be chasing after them which is dodgy and nerve wrecking, you can't be waiting for them on hill sides letting them know you are watching them, it gives them the feeling of vulnerability. It comes down to chance settings. ya know. You as a player you can drop items on the floor. If you have the time and space, drop a tin of food or bandages on a road and run away.

It's all chance tho, which is why...

Ya just need to find incentives for players to band together. It can't be too hard for DayZ Dev's to add an icon to the Arma II: CO main menu with a short video showing 5 survivors banded together, raiding cities with a helicopter, communication and team-work, whilst having a separate video of a Bandit living life alone and inevitably dying alone with a pointless unknown, invisible death as it pans out to a cold, large scale view of the Chernarus map. Bandits in truth are rare and less in numbers in Zombie survival scenarios compared to the whole movie or game based on characters, they just appear at the worst possible times, which is the time where you die.

Nice quote from The Grey. Although the way you worded it applies here, it is actually (and) not (or). It is about a warrior knowing he is going into his last battle to death. But in that moment he feels alive.

Once more into the fray.

Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Live and die on this day.

Live and die on this day.

But, to the point of the game. I always (after having been murdered by bandits a few dozen times) assume everyone is a bandit. And in that stance always proceed with utmost caution and minimum trust. It is what is required to stay alive. Like Vertisce was saying... you can feel out the individual situation and take a chance and maybe get a traveling partner. But, even then... said partner could travel with you long enough to scavenge goods and arms and then shoot you in the back and take it all and go. It is better to bring friends you know and trust and not trust strangers. What Vertisce was telling about is the exception, not the rule.

Nice quote from The Grey. Although the way you worded it applies here' date=' it is actually (and) not (or). It is about a warrior knowing he is going into his last battle to death. But in that moment he feels alive.

[/quote']

Ooh, I must have selected the one link that was wrong :-/

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd prefer to keep it true to the meaning. After-all, it holds weight in this game either way it is written. Most times I login to play, this is my 1st thought.

I don't think anyone is claiming this will be an abuse-free mechanic...pretty much everyone in this thread who is in favor of implementing this has described it in a way that it is an option to wear...so how would that affect the concept of anarchy?

And just like in real life, you could wear it as a symbol of peace but still have every intention of shooting someone in the back...this won't affect how YOU play...but it gives OTHER people the option. And if they're half-way competent they will realize that wearing this comes at the cost of having a more visible white marker on your body...so they will still be cautious. But the next time they get the jump on someone or acquire someone in their sights at range then it could influence their decision to either spare a life or even try to make contact.

Furthermore, why make it a white armband? It can be something less likely to catch a sniper's eye but still be subtle and visible and distinct enough that it is instantly recognizable against the base skin model. A hippy bandana or do-rag in dark tye-dye colors would also serve the same purpose and would be instantly recognizable the moment you saw someone and yet not be as visible as a white armband.

Personally, I think people will abuse the hell out of it...and I don't feel strongly for it. Just playing devil's advocate. Remember, whether or not YOU think it could be useful isn't the only perspective. I do think like-minded players may find this feature useful...and as long as it is optional then the players who don't like it can remove it. Wearing a ghilly suit, of course, should cover this up thus negating it completely.

On an unrelated note....what's the point of those acronyms?? ZOC and PC? I don't read every single post on this forum but I peruse many especially recently and have never seen these acronyms...why randomly insert a few little-known acronyms especially if you have to include the definitions in parentheses? I'm in the Army and there's acronyms crammed everywhere I look so it just seems strange to see it you know what I mean?

~PlutoniumPlague

I will agree with you, but only if it was a totally optional thing (that i wouldn't use). I am just a black and white person. If it doesn't enhance or support the direction, mood and atmosphere of the game than it is not useful. The game is great because of the unknown and the uncertainty of every second of play.

As far as the acronyms... I am just a veteran of 70's & 80's table top strategy games such as companies like Avalon Hill and SPI. Those acronyms spill over from that era of my gaming and is just something habitual in my typing. And maybe some others that have not heard them before may find them useful.