Sign in to follow this  
11tw

Achievable sneak attack system for current build

Now that zed AI has been improved, they seem to have 4 states, as laid out by WOBO in his video.

When in the unalerted, passive state, I think zeds should be vulnerable to sneak attacks. So, for example, if you get right up behind a zombie armed with a steak knife (not usually a one hit kill to my knowledge) while it isn't agitated, and attack, the game counts it as extra damage. This means no special animations or all of that jazz, just a skyrim style 5x dmg multiplier for sneak attacks to simulate the severing of the trachea or the spinal column etc.

Don't know how on earth this could be applied to players (3rd person would ruin it) so it would have to be a zombie only thing.

It wouldn't be too hard to implement as far as I can see, now that the zed AI has been made a bit more sophisticated.

• Like 6

I actualyl think it would be nice if they would introduce some kind of sneak attack animation. But no "animation locks" like in casual games - everything should be fluid and natural - if zombie would aggro on someone else and run to this person, your animation will be interrupted.

Now, about damage: I don't think it should be a simple x5 damage multiplayer which will mostly result in one-hit; not Ofcourse, a sneak attack "an axe to the head from behind" should one-hit, yes. But a knife? I don't think a zombie that can take 3 bullets from AK74 should be one-hitted by a kitchen kinfe if you stab it from behind when it's unalerted. On other hand, I think with short blades you should instead cut it's arteria or something with a sneak attack animation - this should inflict a severe bleeding status and than you can just run around for 10-15 seconds while zombie bleeds out to death. Or maybe cut zombie leg tendon to incapacitate it.

Edited by SonicSonedit

I actualyl think it would be nice if they would introduce some kind of sneak attack animation. But no "animation locks" like in casual games - everything should be fluid and natural - if zombie would aggro on someone else and run to this person, you animation will be interrupted.

Now, about damage: I don't think it should be a simple x5 damage multiplayer which will mostly result in one-hit; not Ofcourse, a sneak attack "an axe to the head from behind" should one-hit, yes. But a knife? I don't think a zombie that can take 3 bullets from AK74 should be one-hitted by a kitchen kinfe if you stab it from behind when it's unalerted. On other hand, I think with short blades you should instead cut it's arteria or something with a sneak attack animation - this should inflict a severe bleeding status and than you can just run around for 10-15 seconds while zombie bleeds out to death. Or maybe cut zombie leg tendon to incapacitate it.

Then again, one shotting a zombie with any weapon to the head isn't very realistic either, but that's how the game works now. It's so much simpler to have the knife just deal 5x damages than incorporate a zombie arterial mechanic.

I'm all for this so beans for you.

Sounds good , maybe animations in later builds too.