farenly

Really bad FPS problem in big cities.

Hi, I have bought the game recently and been having problems with FPS, especially in big cities like Cherno, Berezino, Elektro.

I mean, getting something between 8 and 11 fps, wich is kind of unplayable. I'm okay with a stable 18 to 20, you know (thats what I got in DayZ Mod).

I'm coming here to ask you guys for tips directed to my specific PC setup, because maybe my CPU being AMD makes things different, I don't know.

My SETUP is:

AMD FX-4100

8GB of RAM NIVIDIA

GeForce GTX 550Ti

I am maybe going to upgrade to a AMD FX-8350 and MAYYYBE a GTX 760.

Will that be a good enough improvement for this game? I know there is a topic in this forum dedicated to "Can I run" questions, but this is a bit different, it's "Why am I not running" so... If still I'm wrong posting it here please don't be rude, just say it and I'll remove this topic and post it where you say its apropriate.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I have almost everything in-game on very low or low and it still gives me 8 to 10/11 fps when in big cities (oooh especially those with big buildings and apartments).

I have also done almost everything on youtube to get it right, but maybe you guys know something specific to AMD processors or if its a problem with something else in my PC.

Edited by farenly

If your upgrading, spend the extra money from the graphics card on a good Intel processor, you will see performance boosts in nearly every game.

550 ti is still a viable GPU system. I would use it if i could get my hands on one.

Yeah I've thought of buying an Intel CPU, but damn they are pricy (at least where I live).

Thanks for the help, but as of now, do you know anything that could help me with my current setup?

Setting your graphics settings to low will often offload them to the cpu (which is usually the bottleneck with dayz) Good rule of thumb is if you can't turn it completely off at least set it on normal to keep it prioritized to gpu.  That will help at least a little until you could upgrade or until dayz sees some optimization.

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 2

Oh I didn't know that! I'll try it and see if it works better.

Here's a guide to get you started: http://dayzintel.com/dayz-guides/dayz-standalone-performance-guide

As mentioned, low isn't always better for performance and in some cases seriously hurts it. AMD also has a hard time competing with Intel in the DayZ/Arma world, but Intel isn't required to have a good experience on either game. I would say first do the settings above and see what you can get. If it's still not playable, grab MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU load. I bet if there's a bottleneck, it's with the CPU. I'm not an expert by any means, but I would assume if the CPU is the bottleneck, then upgrading your GPU isn't going to do much for you. Thus, you'd be better off upgrading the CPU.

Well this guide from dayzintel didn't work that good to me...

I'll try monitoring it and post results here.

Edited by farenly

@OP  -  Honestly, what I would suggest is just waiting until the new renderer is fully implemented.  This will probably take 2-6 months.  It would be better to reassess at that time what your best path of upgrade would be.  

• Like 1