myndziuss

What were the arma developers thinking?

What makes you think you know better?

do you think battleye is doing a good job?

Yeah, nah, never post again thanks.

What makes you think you know better?

do you think battleye is doing a good job?

Let me guess, you or someone you know got "randomly" banned by Battle-eye or hackers hacked Battle-eye and banned you?

We didnt have children playing and hacking Arma before Dayz, there was no need for hacking in Arma mission's....

In all these year's of OFP, Arma, I can say I never saw any hacking.

battleye doesnt seem to stop much, as the cheating is rampant... it has on the other hand kicked me on numerous occasions, but that has been due to patches and updates...

I guess you never had to deal with PunkBuster?

As far as user friendlyness goes, BattlEye isn't all that bad. And as said before, I never saw anyone in regular Arma 2 cheat before (you're playing for the teamwork, cheating doesn't help anyone), so there wasn't much need for a robust anti-cheating system.

You can only find out how to stop hackers by them bypassing your defenses with hacks.

In other words, you find a defense to their offense. But they have to offend you first.

Battleye does it's job fine, it isn't the best in the world, but is far from the worst.

You only THINK it's not doing a good job.

It bans in waves to stop hackers from determining which hacks/scripts are detectable/bannable.

MOST anti-cheat systems work on this basis.

VAC, Battle.Net's Warden - etc etc.

The only reason hacking is less common in say WoW and DungeonDefenders (which uses VAC) is because the engine doesn't allow custom scripts in such a way.

Don't blame BattlEye so much imo.

Magnet Edit: No need to be abusive towards other users, be civil - Warning Issued

We didnt have children playing and hacking Arma before Dayz' date=' there was no need for hacking in Arma mission's....

[/quote']

Not exactly true, now is it? The reason hackers in regular Arma weren't all that common, was because it was usually fairly easy to figure out who the perpetrator was and ban them. Atleast in the communities I play in, most people know eachother fairly well. But I definately had my share of walking around with a GBU between my legs due to hackers:D

DayZ providing a huge increase in players, is also providing a lot more anonimity for hackers, so they saw/see their chance now....

That's what I ment to say, lol.

We all get along in the Arma community because most of us are adult's and not moaning kid's that want everything the easy way... :)

Bring on the flame war's................ :P

We didnt have children playing and hacking Arma before Dayz' date=' there was no need for hacking in Arma mission's....

[/quote']

This.

I did see some random "hacking" at times - but only on public servers. Very rarely.

Most of Arma happens on private servers (or semi-private, read heavily modded servers where no random hacker can join without downloading a shitload of mods before and usually no one would bother to do that).

Even if it happens you watch, maybe even laugh a little if the hacker is doing something really funny, then restart the mishun. No harm done.

No one playing Arma really cares much. No one has any reason to care.

I've never read anything positive about battleye. Even on the arma 2 forums.

I guess the options would be to make all servers private and have people apply to play on specific servers, thus making it so everyone is known, if one server has a ton of hacks they can look at that userbase and sort it out

just an idea, I have no problem with requiring registration to play...

[/quote']

Dont say you've never seen castles and huge towers made of sandbags in CTI games in OFP

BE doesn't "stop" hackers, it simply records the fact that they hacked and bans them for it later.

Over time, this will have a net positive effect on the community.

To truly stop the hackers, BIS will need to update their client/server architecture and lock down permissions on what clients are able to do. BE can't fix the scripting loopholes in ARMA's engine.

I think it's obvious BE is doing a decent job. Look at the ban appeals forum - hundreds and hundreds of potential scripters are now out of the system for good. That makes us all safer tomorrow than we were yesterday.

[/quote']

Amen to that!

Battle eye was never intended to deal with this level of rampant abuse and bullshit.

Hacking existed in Arma long before DayZ.

Unless they are blatantly spawning mass amounts of vehicles, vehicles not available in the mission or carpet bombing it's very hard to spot because of the distances involved.