Zoop

Admin abuse - What you need to know

i think the way that admin reports are handled needs to be drastically rethought.

i should not have to go out of my way to record someone abusing their admin etc. then spend even more time uploading the footage etc.

why are there even logs if you guys do not utilize them?

btw : us175 is a trash server with admins that hoard vehicles and restart etc. when losing them. all the while happily abusing global chat and trash talking players they kill etc.

do i want to spend the time recording their habitual abuse of power ? no, i do not. i'll just move to a different server.

Because logs are not saved somewhere the devs can access them. They're saved on the server itself.

DE 857

my friend got a vehicle and he got spawned out of it and killed with a message "greeting english"

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

2 - Understand what powers admins have. We can:

- Password the server

Thats all the admin abuse you need

your stupid bro he was saying what permissions we have not what we do

I wish I would've recorded or wrote down the server and admin who kicked me over and over. I was on a server that had about 7-10 people on it and the admin had a clan tag along with one other guy on the server who had the same tag, I shot the admins friend or clan member just outside elektro and he fell over bleeding but not dead, I moved position for a better shot and got kicked from the server. I thought maybe I lagged or the server restarted but it was still on my server list so I logged back in to finish the guy off and get my loot, I shot the guy again who was now kneeling and bandaging it seemed and as he fell over dead I got kicked again. I thought okay, maybe twice I've d/c'd or something. No big deal. So I logged back in to run down and loot and as soon as I loaded in and took off running I would get kicked. This happened over and over, probably 7-8 times in the matter of a couple minutes. Absolutely ridiculous abuse of power. I could understand being kicked to make room for clan memeber but the server wasn't even 1/4 of the way full, and I had been playing on it for about 30-45 minutes before this even happened but once I killed the guy his admin buddy kept kicking me everytime I connected.

- Lock the server

- Restart the server

- Password the server

- Restart the mission in-game

- Kick or ban players

Actually admins can't password the server. You can password the server while it's down and under maintenance, but not while you and your buddies are playing or clan members are running around looting places.

So yeah, shouldn't list the password part.

Too bad US 175 still thinks they can and there server is still online.

As a matter of fact, we're absolutely allowed to post our complaints about admins here and shame on you for claiming we're entitled for doing so.

Servers with threats of bans for 'killing in the wilderness' or 'no killing unarmed people', or other random crap. Sorry, but I'm absolutely allowed to discuss/complain/do whatever on these forums and there's a fat load of nothing you can do about it.

Aside from that, you have valid points. Admin powers are very limited for good reason. I hope that they allow additional tracking and logging for admins to catch hackers in the act and berid us of them in fact.

I never said you're not allowed to complain. I said you need to know whether your complaint is valid in the first place. No use banning admins for something they don't even have the tools to do.

Servers with threats of bans for 'killing in the wilderness' or 'no killing unarmed people', or other random crap. Sorry, but I'm absolutely allowed to discuss/complain/do whatever on these forums and there's a fat load of nothing you can do about it.

FYI killing people in the the debug forest or 'wilderness' is a bannable offense. Killing unarmed players is not. This should not be much of an issue with the latest patch

US311 Admins: Kill remotely, lock the server, kick players and burn the vehicles???? Or hacks???

arma2oa2012072916133568.jpg

Edited by -NoiX-JackFoda

Admins do not have the option to kill remotely. Hackers do.

Hypothetically, if that was happening the admins could have locked the server to prevent more people from suffering from the hackers.

They could be kicking to find the hacker.

Not the best solution (and not legal) but please get your facts straight before you make wild accusations.

Edited by SumoS

Don't Admins have access to logs of what happens in their servers? I was playing near Electro (Not sure its name...) and I heard a helicopter fly over the town. I peaked out from the forest on the hill NE of Electro and saw the heli flying over staying in one place hovering. I'd just watched a video earlier of a guy taking out a heli with a few shots so I began shooting with my Kobra. He/she almost crashed into the water afterwards and then flew off asap. I then decided to proceed to Electro but I only got a few steps before I died instantly, from nothing what so ever... I swore it had to be an Admin since it was a Vet server and the fact the pilot didn't look at me or even take the time to look. Unless the hacker has a log of what happens or who shoots, then I don't know how he knew it was me. I lost everything and was pretty mad that shooting a heli would lead to such a punishment for no real reason.

So can Admin of servers see a "log" of who shoots or what happens in their servers?

++Edit:

Well I was going to post the server it happened in but all of a sudden it disappeared from my favorite list in Six launcher...

Edited by CerebralZombie

So can Admin of servers see a "log" of who shoots or what happens in their servers

Admins can not see who shoots in the server log, there is only chat,c onnect/disconnect, kicks and bans

I never saw nothing more on our normal Arma II OA or DayZ Server - The Message "xxxxx was killed" is also not in the list so admin know nothing

Can admins view logs, and do the logs tell you coordinates that things happen? Just wondering if logs can be used to track vehicles etc.

I'm honestly not sure. The only thing I can find in my logs pertaining to vehicles is the things like the following;

_id = player spawn spawn
01.08.2012 01:52:28: Not Stoupie (ip address ommited) - #36 icopter" || _v iskindof "plane")
then
{
_v setVehicleInit "[this] spawn BIS_Effects_AirDestruction";

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, so I don't know if they can be used to track vehicles, but I think not. All of them seem to be recorded when players interact with vehicles.

OMG..Admins are the Devil! Yep, lets just play on those public servers and we....oops. There are none!

Edit: This comment is not aimed @ the OP

Edited by ArchAngel-7-

I'm getting pretty tired of this fast spreading trend of hating admins and being entitled/ungrateful little children, so here's a short guide on what you need to know about admin abuse.

1 - Before you make any accusations here, make sure you know what powers admins have, and make sure you've got some kind of evidence to back it up. No evidence? Don't even bother making a thread. Your word alone is not enough evidence to prove anything. Making posts saying 'A tank fell on my head on EU13. Blacklist plz' isn't going to get you anywhere.

- Lock the server

- Restart the server

- Password the server

- Kick or ban players

We cannot:

- Spawn in weapons and vehicles

- Remotely kill players

- Crash your game

- Roll back our servers to previous 'saves'

- Spawn nukes on top of players

- Teleport

If anything of the last list happens to you, don't rush to make a thread claiming admin abuse. It's probably a hacker. It pisses me off no end when people make threads here blaming admins for things that are clearly done by hackers.

Clarifiction, the above is what an admin is able to do and not do as admin. An admin is able to lock a server for example and while it's generally not allowed, there may be valid reasons to do so - maintenance or temporary protection against heavy connection spam for example. -- DayZ Pallidum

3 - Do not presume to tell admins how they should run their servers. Running a server isn't all moonlight and roses. If you don't like a rule a certain admin imposes on his server, such as imposing a ping limit of 220, then take it up with the devs and get back to the admin with their response. Do NOT make a thread about it and then claim it's not in the rules so you can't do it.

4 - Stop quoting the rules for every goddamned thing. The rules also don't state that we're allowed to ban hackers, nor does it state that we're ever allowed to take the servers down for maintenance, nor any other thing admins do on a regular basis. We're tired of using logical arguments to back up our actions, just to be hit in the face with 'herp its not in da rulez so blacklist plz.'

5 - Understand why people are hosting servers for this mod, for you, for free. We're not doing it for our own well-being. We're doing it as a free service to the DayZ community. Stop giving admins flak about every single tiny little thing. Many of us have pretty hectic or stressful jobs/university/college outside of running the server. We don't want to add server-woes to our ever-increasing list of stressors.

6 - Stop breaking rules on servers and then when confronted about it tell us you're going to get our servers blacklisted. That's akin to the customer at the store being in the wrong and not getting his way, then telling the employees 'I'm going to tell all my friends about this.'

There are many abusive admins out there, that much is true. However, the majority of us are not. We're hosting servers for your enjoyment. The majority of threads on admin abuse in these forums come from misinformed/ignorant players who have no idea what running a server entails and assumes the simplest thing that goes wrong is a clear case of admin abuse.

If you suspect admin abuse, gather evidence, take it up with the admin in question, find out what his side of the story is and after that, if you're still sure it's a case of admin abuse, post about it here. Don't rush to the forums like Little Bobby Tattletale on his way to tell mommy that Benny stole a cookie. Make sure you understand what happened before you start flinging accusations.

I'm getting pretty tired of this fast spreading trend of hating admins and being entitled/ungrateful little children, so here's a short guide on what you need to know about admin abuse.

1 - Before you make any accusations here, make sure you know what powers admins have, and make sure you've got some kind of evidence to back it up. No evidence? Don't even bother making a thread. Your word alone is not enough evidence to prove anything. Making posts saying 'A tank fell on my head on EU13. Blacklist plz' isn't going to get you anywhere.

- Lock the server

- Restart the server

- Password the server

- Kick or ban players

We cannot:

- Remotely kill players

- Crash your game

- Teleport

If anything of the last list happens to you, don't rush to make a thread claiming admin abuse. It's probably a hacker. It pisses me off no end when people make threads here blaming admins for things that are clearly done by hackers.

Clarifiction, the above is what an admin is able to do and not do as admin. An admin is able to lock a server for example and while it's generally not allowed, there may be valid reasons to do so - maintenance or temporary protection against heavy connection spam for example. -- DayZ Pallidum

3 - Do not presume to tell admins how they should run their servers. Running a server isn't all moonlight and roses. If you don't like a rule a certain admin imposes on his server, such as imposing a ping limit of 220, then take it up with the devs and get back to the admin with their response. Do NOT make a thread about it and then claim it's not in the rules so you can't do it.

4 - Stop quoting the rules for every goddamned thing. The rules also don't state that we're allowed to ban hackers, nor does it state that we're ever allowed to take the servers down for maintenance, nor any other thing admins do on a regular basis. We're tired of using logical arguments to back up our actions, just to be hit in the face with 'herp its not in da rulez so blacklist plz.'

5 - Understand why people are hosting servers for this mod, for you, for free. We're not doing it for our own well-being. We're doing it as a free service to the DayZ community. Stop giving admins flak about every single tiny little thing. Many of us have pretty hectic or stressful jobs/university/college outside of running the server. We don't want to add server-woes to our ever-increasing list of stressors.

6 - Stop breaking rules on servers and then when confronted about it tell us you're going to get our servers blacklisted. That's akin to the customer at the store being in the wrong and not getting his way, then telling the employees 'I'm going to tell all my friends about this.'

There are many abusive admins out there, that much is true. However, the majority of us are not. We're hosting servers for your enjoyment. The majority of threads on admin abuse in these forums come from misinformed/ignorant players who have no idea what running a server entails and assumes the simplest thing that goes wrong is a clear case of admin abuse.

If you suspect admin abuse, gather evidence, take it up with the admin in question, find out what his side of the story is and after that, if you're still sure it's a case of admin abuse, post about it here. Don't rush to the forums like Little Bobby Tattletale on his way to tell mommy that Benny stole a cookie. Make sure you understand what happened before you start flinging accusations.

really dude you really want people to beleave admins have no control on hackers it really know about 60% or more adims are hacker or friends of hacker just like sever us 106 nl3 me and my friends and so random player just watch a huey crash and respawn again next to the crash site and it was a clan sever.

really dude you really want people to beleave admins have no control on hackers it really know about 60% or more adims are hacker or friends of hacker just like sever us 106 nl3 me and my friends and so random player just watch a huey crash and respawn again next to the crash site and it was a clan sever.

Nice job at quoting the same post twice and pulling statistics out of your ass.

Also, nice job at providing random case of what you think was an admin hacking with no names, proof, or any reason to believe it was an admin.

We've got a smart one over here

• Like 3

I commend Badjr for being able to read it at all. I just looked at it, saw that he never learned the importance of punctuation, and then skipped the rest of his post.

I just looked at it, saw that he never learned the importance of punctuation, and then skipped the rest of his post.

Or English might not be his first language and skipping because of punctuation could be racist.

Or English might not be his first language and skipping because of punctuation could be racist.

>doesn't read post because no punctuation

>get called racist

lol?

- Lock the server

- Restart the server

- Password the server

- Kick or ban players

We cannot:

- Remotely kill players

- Crash your game

- Teleport

I have run several servers for several games. Not once did I break any of the rules put forth by my host or the developers of the game. Admins are expected to follow the rules. Players should call them out when they do not. This thread has become a blanket for abusive admins to hide behind.

Anybody calling out an admin for taking a server down to do updates is an idiot. That said...I have never seen anybody call out an admin for taking a server down and that admin defending themselves by saying they were doing updates and maintanance. The rules are there for a reason. They need to be quoted.

Your personal life and daily routine are of no concern to me or any other player. They do not justify an admin breaking the rules. The vast majority of admins don't break the rules. Unfortunately some of them do and they are generally not hosting the serfer for me for free. They are hosting it for them so they can have power that they have no right to. And who pays what for a server is irrelevant. Don't want to follow the rules? Don't pay for the server. Period.

What rules? The rules you aren't allowed to impose? The only rules you are allowed to enforce are those given to you by the DayZ staff. Anything other than that is admin abuse. I have seen too many servers with extra rules designed to allow the admin and his buddies to control the server however they want. I am sure you aren't speaking about those servers thorugh.

You are correct on the first part. Most admins are good and do what they do for the good of the community. But to assume that the majority of players have no idea what is going on and that they are wrong to call out admins on this forum for abuse is wrong in itself. Most players aren't coming onto the forums to complain about being banned from a single server if they are hacking. Hackers generally don't care...thats why they hack. The vast majority of players posting about being banned are doing so because they were wrongfully banned.

This is just asinine. In the few cases where I have been banned for no reason, it was impossible to get ahold of the admin because they don't have a TS server they broadcast and they don't have their own forums or email address. These forums are more often then not the ONLY way to contact anybody that can do anything about it. It's better that everybody complain on this forum than let abusive admins slowly rot this game down just like the hackers. Calling people tattletales for reporting abusive admins and people breaking the rules is the most aggravating thing about this whole post.

In short...stop assuming that nobody knows what they are talking about. Also...why is this thread stickied? Really?

I just had to get that off my chest. It has been eating at me ever since this thread went up.

Edited by Vertisce

Miss the point much?

The thread was created for the vast amount of innocent admins being accused of admin abuse when the incidents clearly are not. Like the numerous threads in which players go 'admin remote killed me, blacklist plz.'

This thread is stickied because it sets out exactly what admins can and cannot do. It's here in an attempt to curb the rampant hysterics of uninformed players who want to scream admin abuse at everything and nothing.

• Like 1