Zoop

Admin abuse - What you need to know

We should all be thankful that Rocket and the DayZ devs have allowed this to be developed and tested openly so that we can explore this mod as it's developed and help give feedback to make it an even bigger success.

Unfortunately I never read something like

"Thank you server hoster for giving us the chance to collect so much data/feedback and help to make this mod even bigger"

or

"Thank you server hoster for providing so many slots to us players for free"

I feel you, but DayZ is not the first, nor only game I host. I've seen this in most any game.

I think anyone that plays DayZ should have to read Disgraced's message signature:

"The first rule of Chernarus: DO NOT get attached to your gear.

You will lose it to server errors, bugs, zombies, other players, hackers, werewolves, aliens, mystics, sasquatch, lunar eclipses and unforeseen sinkholes. You will NOT KEEP YOUR GEAR LONG. Face it."

I love that.

As a server admin, i really feel better to read this post. In our community/players, there is many ungratefull players that don't understand what we have to do to run a safe/stable/good server. Yep guys, we have a real job and a primary life. It's a long and sometimes hard work and we have to stay alert to any kind of issues/restart/bugs.

This thread gave me smile and i need more of them!

Aruvyel

Server Admin of LU12

Only thing is though' date=' how do you propose the players "get evidence" when they are banned without warning ?

How are they supposed to achieve this ?

Please inform us.

[/quote']

*looks at ban appeal forums*

Use that. If the admin can't submit a proper reason together with proof for why he banned you, theeeen...

Your entire argument just fell apart.

Added a clarification in the original post. The OP states what an admin is able to do as admin. Some of the things an admin is able to do may constitute admin abuse' date=' but may also be done for valid reasons. For example, locking or passwording a DayZ server is generally not permitted, but may be done so for specific purposes - for instance troubleshooting and maintenance or as a temporary preventive measure against heavy connection spam or severe hacker attacks.

[/quote']

I would like to formally request from the DayZ team some documentation for server operators and admins that can show us (with examples) of what we should look for in our logs, etc to properly identify when players are hacking and cheating on our servers. So far it seems that the burden of proof has been laid on the server owners/admins to prove when someone is hacking with absolutely no instruction on how we can properly detect this.

There are way too many hackers/cheaters that come running to the forums to cry foul when they have been kicked or banned and do everything they can to run a smear campaign against the server admin(s) just because they happen to get caught in the act.

I am currently away on vacation and it is very difficult for me to oversee my DayZ server. After I had regular players on my server inform me of hackers teleporting vehicles and loot off the map I banned some of the players. Right now I'm not really in a position to investigate what actually happened, but I did what I thought was the best thing to stop them instead of just letting them run amok.

I don't want to falsely ban players, but I certainly do want to ban those that are in fact cheating.

Just now I made the decision to shut down my DayZ server until I return from vacation and can look further into this incident and remove bans if necessary.

It's not the decision I really wanted to make, but if I want to have any chance of enjoying my vacation, spending time with my kids and decompressing a little, it is the choice I had to make.

I love the fact that if you have friends on the fourms/ dev team you can do what ever you want on your server. I have been banned from 2 servers for some made up rule because i raid the admins camps.

So buy a server make friends and do what ever you want no1 will stop you.

EDIT:

I delete this post, after I was falsly accused to have kick abused a player. The Player now corrected this and so I edit my post aswell.

+1 support

wow alot of good points stated

Don't pretend you get nothing out of running a server, even if it is only the satisfaction of knowing you are helping out dayz, rocket, and his team. As such, this makes you part of the team, and you SHOULD be held to the highest standards in order to keep this game great.

There are too many servers run by people only interested in having their own personal playground. The fact is that there is admin abuse. I appreciate that running a server isn't all sunshine and lollipops, but if nobody complains about potential abuse, the real offenders will never be stopped.

That said, I'm glad this has been stickied, as it clarifies the cans and cannots of admin privileges. I am wondering, though, how to identify if a server is locked for illegal reasons.

Also, I find it immensely entertaining when exploiters and hackers post about admin abuse.

Don't pretend you get nothing out of running a server' date=' even if it is only the satisfaction of knowing you are helping out dayz, rocket, and his team. As such, this makes you part of the team, and you SHOULD be held to the highest standards in order to keep this game great.

[/quote']

No, we should not. It's this entitled attitude that lies at the heart of the issues.

You shouldn't abuse your admin powers, but neither should you be expected to treat your server as if it is one of the most important things in the world. If it is running and not in violation of any rules, that is more than enough. People here expect admins to babysit their servers all day long and immediately respond to any issues, then when admins cannot be at a computer to access their server, he is either negligent or a hacker or both.

Fuck that. We provide these servers free of charge for you. Unless we are in direct contravention of the rules or you have evidence of foul play, shut yer trap.

There are way too many threads here falsely accusing server admins of being hackers or admin abusers, all based on situations such as the server restarting shortly after someone dies to hackers spawning nukes on top of players. All because the players are ignorant and can't spend five minutes to think for themselves.

I'm all for weeding out the abusive admins, but the current system just isn't working, because good admins are being falsely accused and put under pressure, and according to some of the playerbase here, there is no such thing as a good admin and an admin is just there for them to hurl abuse at.

Server admins should have thick skin, yes, but only to a certain degree before they have to step up and say enough is enough. If people can't even show a little bit of respect for the people who spend hundreds of dollars a month to host servers for them, then they can go pay to host their own damned servers.

And I don't get anything good out of running a server. Right now, it is nothing more than a tedious chore for me. You know what I do get out of it? Extra stress to my already stressful university career. God knows why I'm still doing it. Server admins have zero benefits, and to top it off, some players are ungrateful little shits.

Edited by Zoop
  • Like 2

...Benny stole a cookie.

Who the hell is Benny? And did he get banned?

Who the hell is Benny? And did he get banned?

Not yet, but if he steals another cookie I'm banning him.

• Like 1

No' date=' we should not. It's this entitled attitude that lies at the heart of the issues.

You shouldn't abuse your admin powers, but neither should you be expected to treat your server as if it is one of the most important things in the world. If it is running and not in violation of any rules, that is more than enough. People here expect admins to babysit their servers all day long and immediately respond to any issues, then when admins cannot be at a computer to access their server, he is either negligent or a hacker or both.

Fuck that. We provide these servers free of charge for you. Unless we are in direct contravention of the rules or you have evidence of foul play, shut yer trap.

There are way too many threads here falsely accusing server admins of being hackers or admin abusers, all based on situations such as the server restarting shortly after someone dies to hackers spawning nukes on top of players. All because the players are ignorant and can't spend five minutes to think for themselves.

I'm all for weeding out the abusive admins, but the current system just isn't working, because good admins are being falsely accused and put under pressure, and according to some of the playerbase here, there is no such thing as a good admin and an admin is just there for them to hurl abuse at.

Server admins should have thick skin, yes, but only to a certain degree before they have to step up and say enough is enough. If people can't even show a little bit of respect for the people who spend hundreds of dollars a month to host servers for them, then they can go pay to host their own damned servers.

And I don't get anything good out of running a server. Right now, it is nothing more than a tedious chore for me. You know what I do get out of it? Extra stress to my already stressful university career. God knows why I'm still doing it. Server admins have zero benefits, and to top it off, players are ungrateful little shits.

[/quote']

Dead on target!

Well said, Zoop!

No' date=' we should not. It's this entitled attitude that lies at the heart of the issues.

And I don't get anything good out of running a server. Right now, it is nothing more than a tedious chore for me. You know what I do get out of it? Extra stress to my already stressful university career. God knows why I'm still doing it. Server admins have zero benefits, and to top it off, players are ungrateful little shits.

[/quote']

QFT

I'm starting a new Server Guarantee Program.

If you're not completely satisfied with how fast I respond to your communications, postings, emails about banning this guy or un-banning that guy....

If you're not completely satisfied with how fast I respond to your communications, postings, emails about hackers invading the server....

If you think I'm hacking my own server.....

If you think the control panel has some unbelievable god like tools to Kill you, nuke you, steal your weapons and gear, hide cars, know your location, etc....

If you don't like that I have to restart a server at times......

or you're just completely unsastified with life in general and need to vent....

I'm offering a 200% money back guarantee on what you paid me to play on any server I host.

• Like 1

In a span of one month, 9 times out of 10 server restarts unexpectedly when I get my hands on a vehicle, be it by killing the driver or finding a camp. Coincidence? I think not. Either way I lost numerous vehicles this way.

Things like that occured in EU17, LU15, DE115 e.t.c.

While players grief by alt-f4, admins grief by restarting server.

Edited by CriticalNerd

You do realise that every time the server restarts, someone, somewhere on the map was busy shooting someone else or had just gotten a vehicle and then they run to scream foul play on the forums.

And no, admins do NOT grief by restarting servers. SOME admins do that. Stop labelling the entire group for something a select few might be doing.

server admin on de 98 kicked me cause couldnt kill me to get loot of dead friend

screenshot

arma2oa2012071415064393.jpg

video will be added soon

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 1

Since so many videos and reports were made because of admin abusing, and not just in these forums but in all over the internet, what is exactly the thread's purpose?

It's obvious there are legit and honest admins, but there's alot of them abusing their limited power over their servers.

Also @zoop, I know the servers restart for many reasons. While playing for 3-5 hours without interruption, on many occasions I experienced, when some vehicles change hands, server goes apeshit. it's not entirely coincidental that the server restarts, and multiple times in a row, alway then, always with the same motive.

DayZ just happens to have by far the most admins involved in shady business and collusion with hackers I've ever seen in 30+ years of gaming.

The hatred and mistrust is perfectly understandable really.

The DayZ bubble is gonna burst sooner or later. The shear amount of admins involved in stuff is going to severely damage the success of DayZ in the future.

Edited by jblackrupert

Hang on I've read on many occasions that it's a privledge to be able to run this mod on your server and that you should be thankful!! I couldn't believe it when I seen that on the forums!

Yeah thx I like to dish out my hard earned cash on a server that I can't really do anything with but hey it's a privledge so I should stfu! ;)

• Like 2

In a span of one month, 9 times out of 10 server restarts unexpectedly when I get my hands on a vehicle, be it by killing the driver or finding a camp. Coincidence? I think not. Either way I lost numerous vehicles this way.

Things like that occured in EU17, LU15, DE115 e.t.c.

While players grief by alt-f4, admins grief by restarting server.

Ehm, i restart LU15 every 8 hours to prevent lag, and massive load times, NOT to avoid a kill by a bandit, not all servers run auto scripts to warn users of restarts, try to remember that before accusing every admin of abuse.

Ehm, i restart LU15 every 8 hours to prevent lag, and massive load times, NOT to avoid a kill by a bandit, not all servers run auto scripts to warn users of restarts, try to remember that before accusing every admin of abuse.

Your server doesnt restart every 8 hours. It restarts every now and then and whenever. I've seen it restart 3-4 times in 10 minutes in some cases.

And in which post did I accuse EVERY admin of abuse?

Edited by CriticalNerd

Once again, 10 minutes ago, we found a big camp with a vehicle and in 5 minutes server restarts 2 times in a row. How much rollback do you guys want to achieve?

EDIT: different server, not LU15

Edited by CriticalNerd