vfxtodd

Most disappointing day in DayZ to date

1. Whenever I engaged with a zombie, or tried to defend myself against a player, the lag in DayZ would SHOOT THROUGH THE ROOF. When I was defending myself with a pick axe against a player with a gun, I was successful at first. Until...the lag kicked in, then my screen started freezing every other second. I magically got away, but not without a fracture in my arm.

2. I ran around for hours trying to find food and ammo. I never found ANY fruit. Ever! I barely found enough food to survive on. And in several hours of gameplay, I found TWO backpacks. TWO!! I've never played a day this BAD in DayZ before.

3. I found two pristine FULL 30 round clips for an MP5. Could never find an MP5. DayZ is GREAT at giving you weapons where you can't find any ammo for it. Or you find tons of ammo without any weapons to go with it. Is it any wonder more players DON'T jump off buildings to respawn again? 

4. I come across more zombies then I can deal with now with the new hordes and increase in zombies. This would be fine if there were an increase in fire axes, etc that would be available to find close enough to where I spawn. Today I was KILLED on two separate occasions by a zombie that struck me two maybe three times. KILLED! Why is that even possible? Especially given that they're harder to kill now more then ever.

The lag especially is THE worst I've ever seen on dedicated servers. I don't care that this is in Alpha. What's with the lag? I watch hours of popular YouTube players play DayZ with very few issues. But, I constantly encounter extreme lag whenever I need to defend myself against players or zombies. It's just ridiculous. 

Today was NOT a fun day in DayZ. I hope this changes.

Lag aside, the rest sounds like the characteristics of playing a survival game.

Up until .55, surviving was an 'inconvenience'. Your character would get hungry or thirsty as your ran around with an AK in hand and a Mosin on your back, fully geared with a mountain bag full of food and ammo. killing zombies with one blow to the head and having epic pvp battles.

Now you have to survive. You can no longer just run through a town and outrun the zombies or run in circles and bonk them on the head.

Lag wise, I experience is now and then. But nothing serious like what you mentioned.

Are you trying to play on local servers?

Maybe try playing on servers with under 20 players and that are local to you. See if that helps.

• Like 2

Your screen freezing is not lag.  Computer specs would help in this matter as it sounds like your PC crapped the bed

• Like 1

I posted this because my computer has never had problems playing DayZ before today. Lag or whatever. I've played heavy games with much weaker computers before.

Where do I look to see where the servers are based? And population wise, I played mostly on low pop servers today.

• Like 1

I posted this because my computer has never had problems playing DayZ before today. Lag or whatever. I've played heavy games with much weaker computers before.

Where do I look to see where the servers are based? And population wise, I played mostly on low pop servers today.

Again, post your PC specs.  And Bohemia games are notoriously CPU heavy so saying you've played other games doesn't hold any water

• Like 1

Generally ping is a good indication of how well you will run on that server.

I'm in Australia so always play 'AU' servers.

With the changes to zombies and the mysterious disappearance of almost every item of loot (including food) I think Day Z is at one of it's worst stages at the moment. I really hope the next update fixes things.

1. Whenever I engaged with a zombie, or tried to defend myself against a player, the lag in DayZ would SHOOT THROUGH THE ROOF. When I was defending myself with a pick axe against a player with a gun, I was successful at first. Until...the lag kicked in, then my screen started freezing every other second. I magically got away, but not without a fracture in my arm.

2. I ran around for hours trying to find food and ammo. I never found ANY fruit. Ever! I barely found enough food to survive on. And in several hours of gameplay, I found TWO backpacks. TWO!! I've never played a day this BAD in DayZ before.

3. I found two pristine FULL 30 round clips for an MP5. Could never find an MP5. DayZ is GREAT at giving you weapons where you can't find any ammo for it. Or you find tons of ammo without any weapons to go with it. Is it any wonder more players DON'T jump off buildings to respawn again? 

4. I come across more zombies then I can deal with now with the new hordes and increase in zombies. This would be fine if there were an increase in fire axes, etc that would be available to find close enough to where I spawn. Today I was KILLED on two separate occasions by a zombie that struck me two maybe three times. KILLED! Why is that even possible? Especially given that they're harder to kill now more then ever.

The lag especially is THE worst I've ever seen on dedicated servers. I don't care that this is in Alpha. What's with the lag? I watch hours of popular YouTube players play DayZ with very few issues. But, I constantly encounter extreme lag whenever I need to defend myself against players or zombies. It's just ridiculous. 

1.It's already been said but this is most likely to do with your computer or CPU. I understand you play other games fine, I play other games fine but Dayz pushes my CPU harder than any other game.

2.If you searched apple trees you would probably find fruit.

You barely found enough food to survive but you did still survive, Dayz is a survival game so that sounds perfect.

Did you find a burlap sack and a rope? Or leather and a rope?  This can be used to craft a bag

3. I carry a large variety of ammo until I find a gun and then as soon as I find a gun I can shoot.

4.Good, You shouldn't engage zombies unless you have to. I am constantly sneaking around the map to avoid zombies, Even my characters who have automatic weapons don't pointlessly shoot zombies.

I don't encounter extreme lag since I upgraded my CPU, Perhaps you require similar upgrades. I'm thinking that your computer ran dayz okay but now there are extra zombies your computer just can't handle it because I have seen no lag increase over last patch.

I hope your next day in dayz is more fun.

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

OP:You have to use stealth now and avoid the big towns. As Jesus says carry a bit of everything ammo-wise. I dropped my MP5 as it was on the way to being ruined. I soon picked up a PM73 which I accidently dropped, (that was a tad annoying).

So I found a Trumpet which can take down a Z quietly in about 5 shots at a distance. I have a sawn-off for surprises looting buildings and a CR75 as a back up. As I hate dropping things on the ground I've picked up another PM73 and dropped the Trumpet. Yeah the ammo is scarcer for the PM73 but once you pick up a couple of mags you are good to go in case you have a shoot out with another player.

Z's you just run away from or pick off at distance. Sad that melee are a bit pointless but that will change.There is plenty of food and drink around they are just not spawning in the old places. This means you check everything.

Vests are spawning well so you've got extra space and there's no rain at the moment so you can wear tactical jackets.

There I've told you what you should have picked already if you've truly run around for hours rather than just server hopped.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

With the changes to zombies and the mysterious disappearance of almost every item of loot (including food) I think Day Z is at one of it's worst stages at the moment. I really hope the next update fixes things.

I'd say its at its best stage so far.

Zombies are challenging, you have to LOOK for food and ammo/weapons don't grow on tree's.

The game is FINALLY shaping up to be was it was intended to be. A post-apocalyptic survival game.

The ONLY issue is that zombies have decided to be ninja's and make no noise as they sprint up on you. I also miss that slow, slightly defeated job they used to do when they got tired. But aside from that, the game is finally awesome.

And there is PLENTY of food, if you actually take the time to find it. I am currently energized, hydrated and healthy. Got a few cans of peaches, some tactical bacon and loads of spaghetti.

All that was found searching through quieter towns.

• Like 1

I welcome the zombies being more difficult to kill. It encourages players to group together, rather than being a lone wolf. The lone wolf play-style does still work in the 0.55 update, but it's quite a bit more risky than it used to be, especially if you're in big cities.

This is good evidence of how the game should be, hard, not a looting simulator. Good work BI. Games definetly going in the right direction just needs some optimizations and some tweaks but general direction is good.

Edited by NamalskAirControl
  • Like 4

I find the update disappointing due to the utter lack of new content. Aside from Cholera and zombies spawning on you like in the mod once you killed one, what else is new? Zombies barrage attack you and score up to five hits for one strike. No new items it seems.

Do like the abundance of police uniforms and tents, seems logical. Submachineguns and their mags should be lowered.

Big backpacks spawning in civilian areas was overdue.

Its a meh update.

Poor newbie, did the big bad devs make the game too hard for you?

Loot is still everywhere. You just need to look in places you passed over before. Zombies are a breeze. You can jog past them very close and they won't chase you. Don't run at a full sprint everywhere.

Actully., ease do run everywhere and aggro all the zeds. Makes it easy to mow you and the zeds down in one long burst from my AKM. We real survivors will be hydrated on the tears of the weak and complaining piee who are realizing this isn't call of duty death match anymore.

DEAX51R25726-AX51R25726BK-DEL-ADO - Dell - Dell Dell Alienware X51 Full HD Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 Video Card w/4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1

I see a lot of changes have been made. It's good to know what those changes are. I agree that it's a survival game and that it's bound to be hard.

Thanks for everyone's help.

DEAX51R25726-AX51R25726BK-DEL-ADO - Dell - Dell Dell Alienware X51 Full HD Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 Video Card w/4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1

Have you reconfigured all your power saving options so your CPU and GFX card don't get limited at all?

Because it is a laptop it is probably naturally set to maximize power saving options.

EDIT: I just reread and see you have windows 8.1, I hate windows 8.1.

The one time I tried to use the search on windows 8 it couldn't find anything basic that windows 7 found instantly so you may have to find your own way to get into power options and the nvidia control panel.

Type power options into the windows search box on the task menu and it should find it.

What ever plan you use for gaming click on change plan settings

Click Change advanced power settings

PCI express +

Link state Power management +

setting off

Then go to processor power managment

System cooling policy Active

Maximum processor state 100%

Press Apply

Then type nvidia control panel into the windows search box

When that comes up expand 3d settings if it isn't already.

Click on manage 3d settings

Click program settings and then set the program to dayz.

scroll down and set power management mode to Prefer maximum performance

Then set Threaded optimization to on

If all else fails make sure you have your laptop plugged into the wall, I don't use a laptop for dayz but I imagine it wouldn't hurt.

I hope this helps fix the lag, If not I'm currently out of ideas.

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

Actually it's a desktop. Should I still change the settings as you indicated above?

Actually it's a desktop. Should I still change the settings as you indicated above?

Well for one, your graphics card is pretty low end which could be the cause of your game freezing.  Also, invest in a SSD.  I use to get freezes when I ran DayZ on a standard HDD.  The stuttering and freezing went away after putting the game on a solid state.

whoops you even said it was a desktop before.... turns out my reading comprehension is terrible when I wake up at 4am to play dayz after sleeping for 4 hours

Yes, You should try the settings and see if it helps at all.