Sign in to follow this  
philbur

Is there a Dev that can act as the hardware guru for DayZ?

I see a lot of owners of DayZ posting various questions on their system issues and FPS/Net drops.

Has the team decided to provide an internal source for GENERAL (meaning high-level, overall, basic) suggestions regarding hardware configs?

I would imagine a "What works and what doesn't" type of thing for GPU settings (SLI and CFX) and CPU loads as well.

With so many people trying so many config (Game and System) settings it is hard to keep track of what actually is best for optimizing your experience. If one person posts a nice bit of work on how they are getting good frames with good visuals then a lot of the times this info (greatly appreciated, of course) is not as effective for the ones trying to sort out their own issues.

ARMA 3 users are faced with pretty much the same problems when it comes to performance on their systems but for them it is less crucial (in my opinion) when playing that game over what I want out of DayZ.

I am looking for as immersive an experience as possible and this means having the maximum graphics levels without it being in a slideshow.

It would be nice to at least have a "If you have this...this is what you need to do" list given to us straight from the Dev team responsible for hardware compatibility/optimization.

I know there are an infinite number of configs, guys... and that CPU loads are the biggest hurdle for this title...but things like "Does my discreet X-Fi help or hinder my sound performance?" or "What does the Graphics Subsystem need from my SLI/CFX settings to run best? or perhaps "Does running a dual NIC mainboard help my Server pings or game latency?" would be very helpful to at least let us know the general requirements to achieve the best experience.

While a quick Google search can lead you to an infinite number of "solutions", these are mostly specific to the OP and do not necessarily benefit all those who experience similar issues. The Enfusion engine is new and has yet to be fully realized, so it makes sense that many "proven" tweaks just won't have the same effect for DayZ as other fully developed engines.

I am looking forward to DayZ 1.0 or hopefully the Beta to be provided a comprehensive explanation of how to optimize. Is this something the team have considered, or will this be left to the users to eventually come up with? I remember just how much of a Beast the CryEngine2 was when Crysis first came out, but the team worked very hard to ensure the game became playable and beautiful as quickly as they could...which resulted in greater acceptance and stronger fan base. This was primarily an effort by the developers and not a bunch of random work around fixes by the end-user.

Thanks in advance.

You won't get anything like that

The game is constantly changing right now. What works today might make your game crash next patch. Right now I wouldn't touch FPS tweaks that are more than a patch old.

I have a feeling that when the new renderer drops we'll be getting a 30% increase in minimum frames. Not based on anything but a gut feeling/hope.

If there are any hardware incompatibilities then the devs will have to be notified of it. If the game isn't running well enough for you to play it and you don't want to spend $1500 on a new PC, I suggest you come back in 2 months.

Hi, sorry... have been with the Alpha since X-Mas 2013

I agree with your guess/hopes on the renderer.

I run a high-end system and do not have show-stopping frame drops....but I would...if I ran it the way I want to.

I have room to upgrade on the MB/CPU front but only if I had definitive news of multi-core support...as well as confirmed multi-GPU support.

No other game (except ARMA3) is as hard to optimize as DayZ (and I don't mean "now" obviously....I mean that it does not use CryEngine, Frostbite, Rage, or any other mass-deployed "Engine"...so the weird little nuances are still unclear.

Again...as Q3/Q4 hits us it would be nice to see the Dev team "developing" into a post-ship game builder...that's all.

It is too soon...yes...I know...but I sometimes find myself forgetting that the game is not really a "game" yet.

When this development process ends and the GAME (Beta, at least) hits the streets I expect to see a proper Game Studio at the controls. This means an active support team.

Detailed recommendations don't make a lot of sense at this stage, because the game changes with every build. For general recommendations, both the devs and the forum admins have linked to this guide on several occasions:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216291078