Sign in to follow this  
Rudmed

Hello everyone new player with a few questions

Hey everyone, I'm a new person here, and I have been watching some DayZ mod stuff and standalone stuff. I'm pretty sure I can play the mod, but I've been trying to do some compare and contrast. So I am come here with a few questions.

1. I like the variety that the DayZ mod seems to have (building/crafting, traders, more weapons, items, etc.), is the standalone looking to include or will it include the same variety that I see in the mod. 

2. My hope is that DayZ mod is still active with lots of people and that means a lot of fun? Is the population growing or decreasing? How is it doing in comparison to the Standalone?

3. Which one feels better to play, or easier to play?

4. My friend brought up the concern that if I play Dayz, everyone is going to be kitted out and I'm just going to get shot over and over again and not have any fun. While I might get shot over and over again, I doubt that everyone is entirely kitted! 

Thank you for answering these questions!

• Like 1

Hi, Rudmed, welcome to the forums.

OK, first I'd say, no "the mod" doesn't have more of anything.  There's no building or crafting, no trading in the mod.  However, there are a number of different mods, some of which do have these things.

The regular or "vanilla" mod is very difficult because there's hardly any food or drink, you will probably end up dead from that or zombie scratches.  But there are other versions of the mod.  There's Overwatch, which has more food and weapons, there's Epoch which has building and trading/crafting etc. I can't recall any of the others except overpoch which I think is a mixture of both two I already mentioned. I haven't played it, so don't know what it's like.

The future is the standalone. It's being developed by devs who are paid to do that.  

However, the mod is run and developed by a volunteer developers in the community, like Kichi and Razor.  To be frank, it's my favourite. I find that there are a mix of servers, some very quiet and others very heavy duty intense pvp servers.  Last night I saw a few that were full 50/50 servers but others were 20, 15 players and others with a couple of players on them.  

I think it's the vanilla we provide a forum on, not sure of the others, I'll check. My advice would be just try all of them. Find out which ones you can access and which ones you like the feel of. 

I wouldn't worry about those who are already kitted out. They're probably be dead in a few minutes so it doesn't really matter.

I suggest a quiet server at first.  Get yourself an axe from a barn or construction site, grab a knife, some matches, a compass and/map then look for weapons.  You'll probably die a thousands times before you achieve that but that's what it's all about.  :thumbsup:  :beans:

• Like 1

OK, first I'd say, no "the mod" doesn't have more of anything.  There's no building or crafting, no trading in the mod.  However, there are a number of different mods, some of which do have these things.

The regular or "vanilla" mod is very difficult because there's hardly any food or drink, you will probably end up dead from that or zombie scratches.  But there are other versions of the mod.  There's Overwatch, which has more food and weapons, there's Epoch which has building and trading/crafting etc. I can't recall any of the others except overpoch which I think is a mixture of both two I already mentioned. I haven't played it, so don't know what it's like.

The future is the standalone. It's being developed by devs who are paid to do that.  

However, the mod is run and developed by a volunteer developers in the community, like Kichi and Razor.  To be frank, it's my favourite. I find that there are a mix of servers, some very quiet and others very heavy duty intense pvp servers.  Last night I saw a few that were full 50/50 servers but others were 20, 15 players and others with a couple of players on them.  

I think it's the vanilla we provide a forum on, not sure of the others, I'll check. My advice would be just try all of them. Find out which ones you can access and which ones you like the feel of. 

I wouldn't worry about those who are already kitted out. They're probably be dead in a few minutes so it doesn't really matter.

I suggest a quiet server at first.  Get yourself an axe from a barn or construction site, grab a knife, some matches, a compass and/map then look for weapons.  You'll probably die a thousands times before you achieve that but that's what it's all about.  :thumbsup:  :beans:

I see, I see. Thank you for that explanation! I appreciate it! That ought to help me make my decision before I buy! I'll see what others have to say about each one of them, hoping to see some other viewpoints here (nudges the lurkers after luring them out with a plate of coo-...can of beans or mountain dew).

As for dying a thousand times, I've graduated from Dark Souls university, dying over and over again is something that I know well.  

• Like 1

The regular or "vanilla" mod is very difficult because there's hardly any food or drink, you will probably end up dead from that or zombie scratches. *snip*

Sorry but that is completely wrong.

You can build quite a bit in the Mod;

Fences that once are Upgraded to Level 6 are two stories high with a firing platform and ladder up to it.

Gates that can be upgraded to be lockable. So with Fences and Gates you can make Forts.

Sandbags that can be used to make entrenchments to hide/shoot from or to make Stashes to hide your Lootz, and when fully Upgraded can hold 16 weapons and 125 items.

Wire Fences that can be used to force people into killing grounds.

Tank Traps to stop those Vehicle rushes.

Tripewire mines that are EXTREAMLY hilarious to place near Wells and Car spawn areas.

As for food...

An Axe and some Matches, both Common Lootz from Barns and Industrial sites, you can "live off the land" killing and cooking animals that are also very common.

Really the only "hard" thing about DayZ is water, but if your camp is fairly close to a Well (within 1k or so) even that is not bad.

• Like 2

I have no idea what Luckysix is on but there are no gates or fences or level six to build in the mod.  Possibly amphetemines? Grass? Who knows!  I suspect he raced in to disagree without reading what I wrote and is disagreeing with something else.

I have no idea what Luckysix is on but there are no gates or fences or level six to build in the mod.  Possibly amphetemines? Grass? Who knows!  I suspect he raced in to disagree without reading what I wrote and is disagreeing with something else.

Yes there is. In vanilla DayZ Mod.

You should know ;)

Edited by vinyljunkie
  • Like 1

I have just learned all about it! I'd been away for a year and hadn't come across any of the new staff in the last few months since I've been back. So my apologies to Luckysix!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

No problem Sula!

I do a LOT of research into what can be built in the Mod while still keeping it Vanilla. I'll be doing some You Tubes on "How To..." soon showing exactly that.

• Like 2

You'd think it was 1997, I'm so far behind the times!  :o