Sign in to follow this  
Brevitz

Newb having issues

Hi,

I installed the arma bundle and day z mod off of steam. Now im having some problems. Theres a multitude of servers to choose from. i have entered a couple with the mission description dayz mod.

When i enter the game i cant raise my fists, ive tried setting it to spacebar but nothing happens. Also i think im supposed to have like 4 inventory slots but my dudes got like military vest on with a bunch of pockets and i have some stupid flare in my hand which i cannot switch. Theres also like 15 zombies visible to me when i pan around i saw a tutorial on youtube and the player searched like 3 villages without finding a single zed.

What am i missing here?

Hi,

I installed the arma bundle and day z mod off of steam. Now im having some problems. Theres a multitude of servers to choose from. i have entered a couple with the mission description dayz mod.

When i enter the game i cant raise my fists, ive tried setting it to spacebar but nothing happens. Also i think im supposed to have like 4 inventory slots but my dudes got like military vest on with a bunch of pockets and i have some stupid flare in my hand which i cannot switch. Theres also like 15 zombies visible to me when i pan around i saw a tutorial on youtube and the player searched like 3 villages without finding a single zed.

What am i missing here?

Moved to mod discussion.  You are playing the mod, not sa two completely different beasts.  Your inventory and spawn in items will vary unless you are playing vanilla DayZ Mod.

Thanks for the reply. Whats the differences between the mod and "standalone"? Was it needless of me to spend 40 Euros to play day Z? Does anyone know why i cant raise my fists?

there's no fisticuffs in the mod, sorry.

It is similar in appearance but not the same as standalone and if you give it a chance is much more rewarding when you get the gist of things. The mod is probably more harsh to a new player than SA is but at this moment I think there's alot more to it.

ok cool, so i just run inland and try to get a weapon? Theres just zeds all over cant get a break to search anyting and get comfy with the controls.

yeah, best starting out on low population servers until you get the mechanics of the game etc without having to worry about getting shot by someone.

Crouch always, unless you hear the zombies agro and start chasing you. You can hide in a pine tree and they won't be able to hurt you, also when running from them try to run in and out of trees, keeping trees blocking their line of sight on you and they will lose interest and just wander off 

In a pine tree? as in climbing the tree? Thanks a bunch for the help!

Awesome! Just looked at a Day z mod tutorial. i get the tree reference now :) It says im in ghost mode when i try loading into a server, any clue whats up? Rerally appreciate you answering my questions btw!

Oh! Am i only eligible for the servers with mission stated as "day z mod"?

Ok, my character only sneaks when i crouch now all of a sudden... nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

So many questions!

Edited by Brevitz

1 more question. Can i carry stuff between servers or is every server a "new start"?

if they are on the public hive, yes

if they are on private hive, no .... unless they are on a shared hive, some GSP's offer their own hives so you can jump between several servers with that GSP.

Musty dayz mod servers share the same hive (*pimp - click on the picture in my sig then goto server tab :))

There is no longer a public hive for DayZ mod.  BI/Dean Hall let it die when HFB servers went down.  All mod servers are private hives.  Some server admins have multiple private servers hived together so you can carry your gear with you between those servers.

OP, I suggest playing around in Arma 2 to get used to the controls.  If your player is only walking you may have accidentally toggled a control that has no animation when you're not holding a weapon.  Toggling actions on/off is usually done with a double tap of a key.  IE you hold left shift to slow walk, but double tap it to toggle walking, and double tap again to go back to normal speed.  These controls include walking, lean left or lean right (usually q and e), and aiming down sights (right click).  Take these steps if your character is stuck walking:

1. Press q and then e (lean buttons).  If this doesn't work proceed to step 2
  2. Right click once.  If nothing happens then right click once more and proceed to step 3
  3. Double tap left shift.  You should be back to normal by now.  If not you've toggled multiple controls and you have to mess around with it until it's fixed.

Yes, you can only join regular DayZ mod servers.  The rest of the servers in the list are other sub-mods like Epoch and Overwatch.  I recommend filtering "1.8.4.1" (or whatever the current mod patch is) or "DayZ mod" in the filter box.  You can also use gametracker.com to find DayZ mod servers.  Just a heads up, there are VERY FEW DayZ mod servers running vanilla settings.  Most servers have added tons of vehicles and militarized weapon spawn points, removing night time, and some go as far as nerfing or completely removing zombies.  I suggest checking out US434 as it's a great vanilla server that still has good population.

• Like 1