Sign in to follow this  
Ypsan

Suggestion - how to bring PK-ing under control

Killing other players is an integral part of Dayz. It makes this mod thrilling and fun to play, and in my opinion shouldn't be removed, restricted or penalized in any way.

What is missing is an incentive to cooperate with others. I've been alive for many days now but tbh I'm growing tired of surviving alone in the wild. For a change I want to play with others yet I don't feel suicidal to do so.

So, what I think we need is some type of a common goal. Something that is easier to achieve with a group of people but not impossible on your own, if that is how you like to play. And one such thing could be killing Zeds.

Lets say we need a certain amount of Zeds killed before we can use a better type of weapon. Wait, don't leave yet and think about it. We already have kill counter in place which serves no purpose besides placing your name on leaderboards. We have Zeds which present challenge only when aggroed. And we have scarce ammo which we almost never run out of since we rarely fire a weapon.

Killing Zeds with such a purpose could change all that, make the game more challenging and limit the amount of pointless PKing in several ways.

First, killing Zeds is now our common goal and easier to do with someone watching your back.

Second, PKing makes less sense now if we're not qualified to use that other guy's weapon.

Last, getting to use top tier weapons means staying alive long enough to achieve required kill count (which could be days) as opposed to swift run to your buddies' camp to resupply in less than 15 minutes after dying (I'm watching at you bandits).

So, would you still rather kill the guy standing next to you whose weapon you can't use (or is just slightly better than yours) and can help you survive and kill more Zeds instead, or would you actually group with him this time around?

What say you? :)

There is a "Suggestions" section.

Sorry my mistake, could you please move the thread there?

Unlocking the ability to use higher level guns seems too...arcade-ish. It wouldnt even help stop PvP that much. All you would have in the end, is teams on bandits with high level stuff killing all the solo players who cannot get any decent guns.

I am fine with encouraging team play, but not if it also punishes solo players.

Well nothing prevents a group of bandits attacking a sole survivor now anyways. Fear of getting killed should make group of bandits think twice before attacking though, if death resets you back to using low tier weapons.

I do agree it feels a bit arcade-ish but could make the game more fun to play without sacrificing too much realism imo.

Such is the natural order of a sandbox zombie survival game. Limiting the players ability to play the game seems like a not-so-good direction. Giving players the ability to discern survivor from bandit is a faster, safer way seems to be a much better way to deal with the "problem".

I still fail to see the problem. I love the fact people can play the way they want.

No no no no, Dont like it at all, this game is supposed to be a SIMULATION of the zombie apocalypse. That would give it too much of an arcade feel. Sorry, but you'd be condemning lots of players to only using a very small percentage of the games full potential.

Such is the natural order of a sandbox zombie survival game. Limiting the players ability to play the game seems like a not-so-good direction. Giving players the ability to discern survivor from bandit is a faster' date=' safer way seems to be a much better way to deal with the "problem".

I still fail to see the problem. I love the fact people can play the way they want.

[/quote']

"I still fail to see the problem. I love the fact people can play the way they want."

Everyone is being forced to play as a bandit lol can't you see that? People are coming on the forums everyday to complain about the pk'er issue ffs....

Over 90% shoot on site. The only people getting to play the way they want is the damn bandits, the original ones who have turned the majority into shoot on site players also.

"play the way they want"? Ridiculous thing to say.

You can talk to these people you know. You want to team build? Build a damn team. There are several places you can go to find people to play with. Even ingame you can type/voice chat with other players. The only ridiculous thing is players killing other new, unarmed players. Which i do not agree with.

They tried that with bandit outfits but the problem was that a survivor killing a bandit in self defense would appear as bandit to other survivors later on.

Also, committing a murder out of despair (hunger or thirst) would permanently make you a bandit which is also a form of limiting the ability to play the game from that moment on. In reality no one would know you killed some poor guy deep in a forrest two days ago.

The problem is the game still didn't achieve that level of realism, which is relying on others for a better chance of survival instead of shoot everyone on sight.

i agree incentives to work together would be good but the only incentive there should be is to get resources. I don't think anything artificial needs to be added though. to make groups more valuable there should be places over run by maybe even up to 100 zombies where it is almost but not totally impossible to get certain items with out a group. those special items should only be found in these areas. like if there were a hordes of zombies walking the streets of big cities around hospitals you would need to get help to get in there and get medical supplies.

I would also like to see a trade system and more scarce resources so 2 players passing each other might both have something the other one needs to survive. they could then trade the 2 items as just another way of getting what you need instead of murdering each other or maybe this could be used as a show of peace between 2 players so people could gain each others trust easier.

OP, you need to lurk a tiny bit more before unlocking the next level.

(level 2 + 20% Chance to post a good idea, grants the user the ability to counter troll)

@wolfsburg62

There needs to be something to keep PKing in line with reality in order for this mod to be a real simulation of apocalypse. Right now its more a PvP deathmatch than a survival simulator because you're better off at surviving on your own which should not be the case.

@Dazbuzz

Might be wrong here but it sounds to me you're not doing much grouping with strangers yourself either. Talking to other players and grouping with them becomes a problem when all they need you for is that sweet loot in your backpack.

You can talk to these people you know. You want to team build? Build a damn team. There are several places you can go to find people to play with. Even ingame you can type/voice chat with other players. The only ridiculous thing is players killing other new' date=' unarmed players. Which i do not agree with.

[/quote']

Since Side Channel chat has been eliminated, the ability of newly spawned people to team up is extremely limited.

Side Channel chat should be re-allowed barring some other solution.

You can talk to these people you know. You want to team build? Build a damn team. There are several places you can go to find people to play with. Even ingame you can type/voice chat with other players. The only ridiculous thing is players killing other new' date=' unarmed players. Which i do not agree with.

[/quote']

Since Side Channel chat has been eliminated, the ability of newly spawned people to team up is extremely limited.

More side channel nonsense, all the side channel ever did was give morons the chance to ask if there was friendlies shooting in Cherno and Bandits the opportunity to stalk naive noobs who used it to chat.

It also ruined immersion and was incredibly distracting. It's not coming back, time to suck it up, chief.

[/quote']

More side channel nonsense, all the side channel ever did was give morons the chance to ask if there was friendlies shooting in Cherno and Bandits the opportunity to stalk naive noobs who used it to chat.

It also ruined immersion and was incredibly distracting. It's not coming back, time to suck it up, chief.

Then add ACE and ACRE with radios.

[/quote']

Then add ACE and ACRE with radios.

Sure thing!

/me picks up the rocket phone that dials directly to Rocket's brain.

@Shorttallguy

Its funny to imagine what would become of that random group of survivors that managed to reach that one special rare item. Who gets to take it? :)

Not a bad idea though, defenetly not artificial as mine.