blackbelt27

anyone tried a controller?

i hate keyboard and mouse, has anyone tried using a controller with the game? i feel like it would be very handy

i think is has native support for a 360 pad so it will probably work decently, not sure though i have not tried it.

I use a joystick for flying helicopters and driving vehicles. It's 100% easier and gives you much more accurate control (especially using analog throttle to give you variable levels of thrust).

All of the buttons are bind-able via the controls menu and it takes very little effort to calibrate. Just install the drivers from the included CD, launch the game, and away you go.

You can even adjust the X, Y, and Z axis sensitivity on the joystick through the controls menu in-game.

That's the thing, its a mad cats 360 pad, and it randomly works with the buttons but the actual joystick doesn't. Sooooo I've just about perfected an xpadder map for it, so no fooling with in game settings

I has begun... The Console Kids have arrived in Armaland!

Anyway I haven't tried joystick and properly never will as it isn't required to fly in Arma. I've seen a lot of self-proclaimed pro-pilots with joysticks fail spectacularly over us regulars who have no trouble doing nimble and accurate maneuvers with the mouse.

Tried it, didn't like it very much.

Arma somehow felt a little too complicated for an xbox-controller.

Tried flying a jet with it, it was quite easy, perhaps even easier to aim with than using keyboard and mouse.

has anyone tried using a controller with the game? i feel like it would be very handy

A friend did that a while ago (regular ArmA), we're still making fun of him because of that. :angel: People playing ArmA with a controller simply cannot be taken serious. (using it only for vehicles is valid though)

Try it at ur own risk. :rolleyes:

i hate keyboard and mouse' date=' has anyone tried using a controller with the game? i feel like it would be very handy

[/quote']

More like very disadvantageous.

A controller? In my PC games? It's more likely than you think.

Seriously though, you'll get used to the keyboard and mouse when you practice and play using them. I had trouble my first time playing with a keyboard and mouse but now it's a fluid and natural thing.

I use a joystick/mouse. Too many years flying to use a keyboard.

I just imagine i'm in a spitfire --pew pew; pew pew.

I know it's wrong.

Only thing more sacrilegious would be asking flight sim junkies if you can play with a controller.

Only thing more sacrilegious would be asking flight sim junkies if you can play with a controller.

Actually, I'm a bit of a Flight Sim "junkie" myself and I have a Saitek yolk, throttle levers, and rudder pedals. And I use my joystick for flying helicopters and driving vehicles in ArmA/DayZ. I really don't see what the problem is. I find it to be an advantage. Either way, it's personal preference. And no, I'm not a "console gamer" and I wouldn't go as far as using an Xbox controller. :p

I use a 360 controller for vehicle controls, the degree of the in-game steering wheel is too annoying and difficult to control with the use of a keyboard to me, much easier with a controller.

so arma would suck with a controller hunh? oh im sorry, i must have posted in the arma forums instead of the dayZ forums

could a mod please move my post to the proper category?

and console fanboy? i wonder how i can be a console fanboy when I DONT EVEN OWN ONE

/sarcasm

you can give up the PC gamer dickhead attitude

anyways, i havent even touched arma, just dayZ and using a controller is pretty dang helpful, considering the keyboard controls are all over the place, ill post the xpadder download when i prefect it, im sure theres others that absolutely need a controller for fps, like me

so arma would suck with a controller hunh? oh im sorry' date=' i must have posted in the arma forums instead of the dayZ forums

and console fanboy? i wonder how i can be a console fanboy when I DONT EVEN OWN ONE

/sarcasm

anyways, i havent even touched arma, just dayZ and using a controller is pretty dang helpful, considering the keyboard controls are all over the place, ill post the xpadder download when i prefect it, im sure theres others that absolutely need a controller for fps, like me

[/quote']

Agreed.

I've been using it quite successfully with infantry. Can only think of one instance where I would've been better suited using a mouse.

Using a keyboard and controller is tricky, but you get the hang of it. Most of the controls on the keyboard are fairly static anyhow. Only thing I wish I could map to the controller is free look.

I don't get why it gets such a bad rap, it's just personal preference. So what if it's not as responsive? I like the way it feels and this isn't CS, you don't need knee-jerk CoD reaction times to do well.

I have been using my wireless 360 pad since arma one for planes and helicopters. Works perfectly. I can also fly with the mouse and KB no problem, but i much prefer the pad for flying. Have it just the way i like it. I tried it for tanks and even with foot slog but i cant do it, just not precise enough.

Sure, you can, if you don't mind sucking like a vacuum cleaner on steroids. :D

It's a PC game, designed for PC controllers. If you use a gamepad for infantry movement, you're going to have a bad time.

I cant imagine how aiming with 360 could be at least on par with a mouse.Especially when it comes to sniping on long distances,where you have to move your scope really carefully.

If you are doing good with controller I bet you'll be even better with mouse and keyboard.

so arma would suck with a controller hunh? oh im sorry' date=' i must have posted in the arma forums instead of the dayZ forums

/sarcasm

[/quote']

Yeah I definitely agree with this. The attitude of a PC game being superior by using a keyboard just for its own sake is silly. If you find the controller to be helpful, then linking your configuration would be very helpful as I have been wondering what to set; Just got the game and subsequently the mod. Having problems installing, but that is another story.