Sign in to follow this  
chickenmcfuggits

DayZ.exe not a valid win32 app

if you have an application like a game and want to support 32 bit OS'en then you have to design your base game to use max 2GB of ram. On 64 bit you can make 32 bit apps use up to 4GB but you making the core around that 32 bit OS limit.

By doing that you might be limiting your game. I can understand going 32 bit when making a retro platformer or something else with a small footprint but not with a game like DayZ.

Some interesting stats from steam.

DX 8/9-11 breakdown of graphics cards. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

2.4% of the cards are DX9 or below compliant.

OS use http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

17.23% are 32bit

4.18% are windows XP

If DayZ dropped XP and 32 bit support then 17.43% of steam users are affected.

The last 32 bit CPU releases were at the beginning of 2004 (at least for intel)

If you have a valid windows key then you can download the 64 bit ISO from microsoft and install it using your key.

if you are a pirate then you will pirate.

I guess the irony of that is that DayZ ran better on my 32 bit installation of windows xp with "2GB" than it does win 7 64 bit with 4GB. A lot of that has to do with how I made xp so minimalist though so whatever.

I just want to say some of the most memorable games I ever played were packed into several MB, and just because there are systems out there that can use whatever doesn't mean every game should be designed without any concern for the performance it would have on a lesser system. I mean windows xp isn't so far from win 7 that it takes some astronomical amount of work to accomplish, hell it worked up to the last patch. People talk like it would take some crazy team of dozens of programmers to make a game compatibile with win xp or a 32 bit OS when in fact it doesn't, its just disregarded. I would guess a lot of the problems with hacking could be resolved with a little clever code here and there, as well as a lot of the problems with performance, but everyones got all the RAM in the world to play with and the latest version of whatever so why try to be more efficient right?

Edited by Chzy

I guess the irony of that is that DayZ ran better on my 32 bit installation of windows xp with "2GB" than it does win 7 64 bit with 4GB.

for some reason, if you used win xp compatibility mode you got 15-20% more fps. That broke at the same time as dayz broke on win xp itself.

for some reason, if you used win xp compatibility mode you got 15-20% more fps. That broke at the same time as dayz broke on win xp itself.

I want to say that has something to do with battle eye, but thats just a guess really.

To be honest about it, I would trade a decrease in performance for a decrease in hackers any day if in fact it did work.

Edited by Chzy

I always had massive problems trying to do that.

well i had never troubles with this OS (Win XP64 bit) everything is working since years. No drawbacks or programs not working, well DayZ is one of the first...

same with Vista, everyone is whining about this OS, but ok this OS is not for casual user like Win7... I like this too, you have to mod it a hole day but then its a burner like normal Win7

@ Franzuu

Steam GPU list

i still use a 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 and AAlchemy rig for some Steam games and UT :P (haha V56k got more FPS than a NIVIDIA FX5)

so the only problem should be the kernel? should be possible to fix... but thats some work.. -_-

how is it possible to uninstall/deinstall battleeye?

a friend got it to work without BE, deleted the game in steam but when i redownload the game BE is still there!!!

or is't that way when i got asked "wanna install this?" and say yes, that this flu is forever for me set as default?

#edit:#

well forgot

the friend didn't accepted the installation for BE at the beginning

Edited by DATA

I just came back after a few months of break and got the same error, Is there a workaround for this?

I'm on WinXp sp3 32bit

Well, thats sucks.

On my potato PC using windows XP i was getting 6 to 10 more fps than in Win7.

about the same increase using winxp compatibility mode on win7. Not sure about the technical reasons of why. Hopefully the new renderer comes soon.