frankiebeans

Why do you murder?

After a week of trying to be friendly I just kill before they have a chance to kill me.

Too frustrating to give someone the benefit of the doubt only to have them shoot you in the back and take the items you had been gathering for several hours or days.

I feel much safer just taking them out quickly and going about my business.

Most of the time I don't even try to loot them if its out of the way as I have most of the equipment I already need.

I Kill' date=' therefore I am.

These days it's for loot.

Server hoppers have absolutely destroyed any chance of consistently and legitimately finding loot.

I've wasted countless hours going through every town right up the NWAF to find tin cans and makarov mags.

NWAF is even worse, the last 4 trips there have netted nothing.

Its no longer worth the risk to travel, I'll just hunt players, kill with an Axe and take their stuff. Much easier.

[/quote']

This is why the suggestion of making loot even more scarce in order to force coop and prevent PK is an idiot suggestion and will do actually nothing to prevent even a tiny amount of PK's.

You always will be a threat to another, you have stuff, he doesn't, you are in his way, your presence reveals his presence, because you are a noob and did not pay attention the first basic rule, move around unnoticed, in this dog eat dog world there a lot of reasons why you will get killed. Killing for fun is also one of them, because after all it still only a game.

So to the crying carebears here a wise word from the Humungus: "There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your weapons, the beans, the gasoline, and the whole tent city, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror."

As a bandit I kill because this is the only game where you can truly hunt another player. The game is expansive and well-modeled enough as a zombie sim where the threat of violent death by another player is always immediate but secondary to the premise of the game. There's no other game where you can patiently stalk prey like you can in DayZ. You can't do it in CoD or Quake or Arma because those games are arenas where the other players' main objective is to find you and kill you as well. Also, the stakes are really high in this game (for a lone wolf, at least) and that makes the act of killing uniquely visceral.

As a survivor I love the fact that there are other players out there who want to hunt and kill me because it makes the game challenging, ergo interesting. It also makes trust a much more rare and valuable commodity, and I'm pretty sure that's the way the game should be.

I Kill' date=' therefore I am.

These days it's for loot.

Server hoppers have absolutely destroyed any chance of consistently and legitimately finding loot.

I've wasted countless hours going through every town right up the NWAF to find tin cans and makarov mags.

NWAF is even worse, the last 4 trips there have netted nothing.

Its no longer worth the risk to travel, I'll just hunt players, kill with an Axe and take their stuff. Much easier.

[/quote']

Making loot more scare is not the answer.

If the problem is server hoppers moving server to server for loot, then the answer has to be something to do with switching between servers over and over.

Maybe it would make sense to have players be delayed when they have to switch servers. Lets say it's a given that they want to server hop for loot. They disconnect, the server they are on is still up and running, so there is a 10 minute wait between disconnect and being able to reconnect. This might mitigate the fast loot hopping or the disconnect and reconnect to stop being killed and shoot the killer problem.

This should be in addition to a 30 second timer that starts when any player disconnects from anywhere. Disconnect, fine, but your actual player stays on the server for 30 more seconds...vulnerable and just sitting there for the 30 secnd count down. This might help the problem with the disconnectors who leave every time they run into another person and dont' want to get shot.

I murder because I get murdered otherwise. Easy as that.

It's what I like least about the game.

In a loot driven sandbox game, with nothing much else to do, this is to be expected.

My first real murder was just out of the curiosity to experience the feeling of fucking up someones game.

My second and third murder was just because there where two Assholes in Elektro killing like 2 or 3 survivors with no weapons while they had like one M4 and one AK and even Coyote Backpack. So I had my Remington and shot all rounds I had into those two till they where faced to the ground.

Now I only murder out of the fear of being murdered. Every Player I see is a threat to me because I had enough bad experiences.

its fun to spot somebody, whether they spot you as well or not, and then hunt them down, being every so careful not to get shot.

i don't go around looking for other players to kill, i only kill ppl if they're too close for comfort, or are almost certainly about to shoot me, or also if i know that they just took all the loot out of an area i was just about to loot myself >:( .

I've been killed for no reason too many times to be friendly anymore :'(

if there was still something at least similar to side chat, then encounters w/ other players wouldnt always be hostile

adrenaline rush, thrill of the hunt, good loot, PvP experience, chance to use weapons, challange of fighting another human brain, etc. virtual murder is just so satisfying on many levels.

I searched but couldn't find any similar threads.

For those who decide to defect to bandit status: Why do you kill other players? What do you get out of it' date=' besides supplies?

This is not a thread intended to troll anyone, or coming from any form of ange/butthurt. I am genuinely curious why I see so many posts/videos of bandits sniping or shooting non-threatening players.

I'm a relatively new Day Z player (2 weeks-ish) and I've yet to actually kill another player. I have no desire to either. I did however, shoot one player for firing at me. He did not die though.

I just don't see the other side. I realize that some users play this game with the specific intent to kill other users, but it has never been my intent with playing Day Z. I'd rather find some friendly players and work together. Since the game is not centered directly around a PVP play style, I thought I would flat out ask why and for what reasons have you/do you kill other players?

[/quote']

The game IS centered around player vs player interactions. Regardless of whether that is shooting or not. It is. And Why murder? Cuz what other game gives me a 225km2 lanscape to hunt on?

Because as the game currently stands, there is no aim, objective, or goal. Even "surviving" isn't any kind of goal. After you've explored enough of the map, there's nothing to do really but grief other players; this applies to playing by yourself or with friends. So instead of playing a zombie survival game, you end up playing what is essentially the world's most realistic fishing simulator; you find yourself camping assorted hotspots like the coastal airfield with a 50 cal sniper rifle, hoping to catch noobs heading for loot. Every minute you wait is like another cast, and after every minute you ask yourself the same question, "Should I wait a bit longer (have a few more casts) or should I try another spot?"

I'm pretty sure they will bring in some kind of objective/aim to the game eventually; they will have to in order to keep people playing. I'm all for the sandbox; it's something we don't get in games anymore, but there has to be at least some kind of overall structure rather than anarchy.

I don't murder.

I do on occasion kill though. I have been playing 9 weeks. I still talk to friendly survivors but I am choosy who I team up with. I never team up with anyone who won't speak using direct. Reason being it seems people are far more likly to shoot you in the back if your just a bunch of pixels on the screen. If you start talking to someone, even if it's to say "you don't bother me I won't bother you" you have put a picture in that persons mind of a real person just by hearing your voice. Some will kill whatever but voice coms plays a huge part.

So yeah, I don't murder at all.

It's the only thing that brings variety and gets the adrenaline going.

So you have a gun, ammo, water bottles, knife/hatchett/matches. What's left? You can survive in the woods pretty much forever, but that's boring.

You can hoard gear until you have 20 tents with spares of every gun in the game and all the vehicles in the server. Sounds pretty boring, and the looting spots are nearly always the same, except for PVP interactions.

Or you can hunt other players and avoid getting killed by them. This brings the most variety. Each engagement will be different, and you run the greatest risks.

Even if/when some end-game content gets added, you can bet the most fun of it will revolve around PVP.

Why do you murder? Coz every stupid cunt shoots at me even if I dont have any weapons.

This mod is dead. Its COD now. Everyone shoots on sight. Retards. Bring back bandit skins and fix it better so that you can kill in self defense. Rage out.

I would suspect that your Day Z experience is directly related to your attitude. You presume that everyone is evil and going to kill you. In reality' date=' not everyone is. I am one of the types of players who do not shoot on sight. I don't use my gun unless I either have to, or to take out zombies who have my back against a wall.

[/quote']

As I said everyone kills unarmed now. On sight.

14 kills and counting, I enjoy it and see no benefit to making friends particularly when I play with a solid group of about 7 other guys. However I don't generally kill unarmed noobies, for example yesterday we operated a taxi service on the south coast, the only death was a single person who jumped out of a jeep going at 100.

For fun

38 murders and counting.

3oefW.png

Holy shit, how do you have that many kills in one life? What gun do you use? Unless your killing n00bs on the coast, you must be an absolute pro!

I learned long ago in EVE Online never to trust anyone. Seemed like a good lesson to bring to the table when I started playing this game. I shoot on sight, no questions asked. Better safe than sorry.