zalman

Was the game better or worse with bandit skin?

could care less about how unreal it is to have bandit skins, i had the most real experience with this mod when they where in it...

This, exactly.

the game was more interesting with bandit skins' date=' because player interaction was more diverse.

upon seeing someone, you had to figure out his intentions (the skin alone was not a sure sign), and that led to intense and interesting interaction. There was cooperation, doubt, and betrayal. And true banditry.

This is all gone, nobody has to guess anymore, since it is completely clear how a stranger will react. Trust, doubt, betrayal, coop are gone, its a onedimensional deathmatch now. I wouldn't even call this banditry, since there are no choices to be made. Not shooting first is simply bad play and will lead to getting shot every time.

The game is still fun, but it was way more exciting when player intentions were not completely obvious, which was the case before bandit skins were removed.

[/quote']

the game was more interesting with bandit skins' date=' because player interaction was more diverse.

upon seeing someone, you had to figure out his intentions (the skin alone was not a sure sign), and that led to intense and interesting interaction. There was cooperation, doubt, and betrayal. And true banditry.

This is all gone, nobody has to guess anymore, since it is completely clear how a stranger will react. Trust, doubt, betrayal, coop are gone, its a onedimensional deathmatch now. I wouldn't even call this banditry, since there are no choices to be made. Not shooting first is simply bad play and will lead to getting shot every time.

The game is still fun, but it was way more exciting when player intentions were not completely obvious, which was the case before bandit skins were removed.

[/quote']

I agree.

[/quote']

I agree.

AS DO I.

[/quote']

I agree.

AS DO I.

Same here

Game turned just into a boring shoot on sight gigantic COD shit

I personally liked it more with the skin.

But I think what would really help is having more things to do ingame. Since after a while killing players is the only thing that is any fun.

Also' date=' I would like the survival experience to be much, much more challenging.

[/quote']

Indeed. While I am having a lot of fun trying to find rare items, I pretty much "mastered" the survival aspect long ago through hunting and water bottles.

I wish there was alittle more to do in terms of surviving. Maybe having matches run out after 15 or so uses? Weapons needing maintenance, gradually losing accuracy and power if you don't?

Maybe even making you boil water from ponds before drinking it, having a % chanse of you getting sick if you don't.

I don't know, just something.

If you want information about other players, gather it yourself. Then you can do with that information what you will. No magical faeries should be whispering information to you about actions you did not personally witness.

Great idea from HardTarget here for identifying individuals you have seen previously in the game.

One from myself here about classifying players you have seen according to behaviors you have witnessed.

One can conceive of the ability to "describe" individuals to other players, so that you can pass on information about crimes you have witnessed to friends and colleagues.

All of this and more are far more elegant and immersive mechanics than the bandit skin which was a lazy, inelegant, brute-force approach and prone to labeling players bandits for very un-bandit-like activity.

There's absolutely no reason to bring it back when it could be replaced by superior systems that don't have the same magical properties of a third-party observer and judge.

Make your own observations.

Make your own judgements.

Take your own actions.

Enforce your own rules.

I've watched this forum argue in circles for weeks about how great the game was when the code tried to do all this work for us, yet life expectancy was lower back then (with half as many players no less) and calls of "Friendly?" were not nearly as effective as folks seem to remember. This mythical utopian society that people seem to recall never existed. "Friendly?" was as like to be met with a clip of makarov rounds as it was to result in an awesome bout of cooperative gaming.

I can say with confidence that the bandit skin is not coming back. Not because I have inside information but because I trust the team to recognize the inherent weakness and bluntness of the system, and the benefits of a more player-driven, player-controlled form of behavior classification.

I would say better, BUT now that Camo and Ghillie suits were added, it's impossible to go back.....

Can someone enlighten me on this...

I have nearly 50 zombie kills and 2 murders to my name, my character is 3 days old (Though probably my 30th character). I've only really been playing a week but here it goes...

My first murder was basically shooting my friend, he broke his leg I spent 2 hours raiding the NWA on my own and Stary Sober in the hope to find morphine in the end he said he wanted to respawn and I had picked up a new gun... he told me to burst fire him... put him down to like 500hp instantly and he bled to death, I met up with him about an hour later with all the equipment he had given to me prior to death. - Murder 1

My second one wasn't self defence on my part but more of protection for my friend, I'd been trying to get my friend into the game and I spoke to him over text messagesa bout his location so I positioned my self the night before in a vantage point over where he was and logged off. The next day I log onto my normal server and he logs on shortly after, I almost immediately see a survivor strafing through the tree lines outside Elektro next to the petrol station, my friend was literally at the petrol station, he takes cover over at the rail way and prones behind it. I get my binoculars out and try and gauge a distance and set my AKM to the right bullet drop, I want to take him down before he gets my friend who is carrying very critical medical supplies. He starts moving towards my friend crouching and I start thinking the worst... I quickly open fire and in my first shot he hits the floor, he tries to move behind a bush to cover and my friend on the rail way attempts to locate him for me, telling me he is slightly to the left blah blah, a few shots later and I get him in the head... my friend loots his corpse and surprisingly everything we were planning to go the guy dropped. - Murder 2

I have only 'murdered' 2 people, I would claim both of them were in good will, the first one I didn't really think about it being classed as murder we were laughing over the situation. The second was protecting my friend.

TL:DR So basically... are there any ways of identifying a bandit as it stands, what constitutes a bandit? 2 kills? 5 kills? 1 kill per day?