BigBennyLava

Why server hopping can be a daft idea

Hello DayZ players. This is just a little thread to help emphasize the point that server hopping is a bad idea. I'll tell you a little story, and what came of it.

So today, I was going to meet a fella from the trade thread to trade my M4 for his AUG. Last night I had logged on and got the 'You are dead' message for no apparent reason in the middle of the woods, so I was down by the coast again. 20 minutes later I'd found a gray V3S and a little further down the line was a jerry can. After getting all fueled up and ready to roll, I headed off to meet my trade partner.

After meeting up we went towards where I expected my tent to be. At this point I was unaware of if it would still be there or not, as I remember reading the message in-game saying 'pack up your tents before every Wednesday or they'll disappear'. Sadly, it was gone along with all my guns and gear. Perhaps I was just really unlucky and the 'you are dead' message I got last night was just someone who had found my tent and shot me when I had logged in, then took it and left. Either way, it was gone and so was my M4. The trade didn't through and my trade partner logged off.

So at this point I had my V3S - all fully fueled up - and no guns. I decided to go looking for chopper crashes, so I drove down from the town above NWAF to Zelenogorsk. I found nothing and eventually, the server went down. 

"Balls, no vehicle and no gun now" was what I was thinking. After a demoralizing start, I ran back up to NWAF to do some looting and I had hoped to recover from the morning losses. I had no high hopes; I thought it would be as empty as it usually was. By the time I made it to NWAF, I had picked up an AKM with a mag or two from that base near Vybor.

The server was a lower population one. I chose it because I didn't fancy doing the 15-20 minute run back up north again if I died. Lower pop meant lower risk to me, although that's not always the case. 

So, I arrive at NWAF as planned. All seems good; there were zombies on the runway, the barracks doors were closed, there was nobody out in the open. Nice and quiet, some easy loot I had hoped. After I had ran from the SE side with the barracks to the middle north side with the other barracks, I was pretty sure that there would be nobody there. Shit son, was I wrong.

I cleared the barracks room by room and in the last room, standing there in a full ghillie suit was a server hopper who was logging in. What was I thinking at this point?

"HOLY F**KING BALLS".

At this point I was arguing in my mind whether to shoot him or not. I knew that he would shoot me instantly if I gave him a chance, so I whipped out the AKM and popped him once in the dome before he could draw his weapon. You'll be amazed at what I got for it; the pictures below speak for themselves.

3_zpsb7ee184c.jpg

1_zpsa0c6fd4a.jpg

3_zpsf7dacdc5.jpg

From killing one guy, I got...

• Full ghillie suit
  • Ghillie hood
  • Steyr AUG with 40 round magazine and suppressor
  • SMERSH vest with backpack attached
  • Camo face mask & blackskull balaclava
  • 2x black high capacity vests, containing protector cases and an olive high cap vest
  • Inside those vests are more ammo and various supplies
  • Ammo tin

So, the moral of the story? If you're gonna server hop (which everyone does, don't deny it) then be sensible. Don't log off inside barracks. I ruined some poor sod's day and took all the gear he probably worked weeks for. I feel bad for him, but he would've done the same to me.

Edited by BigBennyLava
  • Like 4

Nice haul, especially the AUG. I had something similar happen to me, logging in and being dead in the woods. After server restart I found a V3s and headed to the airfield. Found 3 crashes on the airstrip, while looting the ATC, 3 guys pop in fully kitted so I popped all 3 and took their gear.

Holy backpack-ception Batman, so I removed their gear and stashed it and called my mates to get them kitted with m4s and all the gear you could ever want. I feel if people are silly enough to log out in a military zone then the need to be taught a lesson on server hopping

Thanks Tobias :) I'm particularly happy about the AUG, Smersh and ghillie. Best luck I've ever had on this game.

Unlucky for those guys who logged in at a daft place though right :) If they're gonna server hop, they should at least log out away from the place they intend to loot. Logging in right in the middle of a PvP hotspot is stupid.

Edited by BigBennyLava

*snip* If you're gonna server hop (which everyone does, don't deny it) then be sensible. *snip*

You cannot speak for everybody.

I do NOT server hop.

I find great gear of all kinds by living and moving for long stretches and looting everywhere, not just military sites.

every1 how is server hopping for loot is an idiot and ruins the game. it destroys it for every1 who is searching for loot all the time and for every1 who get shot by idiots with akimbo ak with roundmag and a backbag full of nades

ps:

• 2x black high capacity vests, containing protector cases and an olive high cap vest

u can store a vest in a vest??

Edited by Lauri7x3