cobaas@live.ie

Should Human Meat attract Zombies?

So as we all know, Cannibalism is in - we can kill a guy and eat him - very satisfying

Downsides to Cannibalism as it stands are Kuru - Uncontrollable Crying and/or Laughing

What I was thinking was adding another layer to the mechanic - when you have raw human steaks, they can be thrown and that will attract a zombie to them, that way we don't necessarily have to eat them, but they can still be used and be effective! And it would also help in stealth when the zombie AI is implemented

Any thoughts?

no that makes no sense if u got it in ur inventory

why should zets make a different to other meat? and they dont have a super nose to smell it before they see or hear u i think.

they should be attracted by dead bodys or whatelse

Anything moving other than other zombies will attract them, which is just fine by me. Remember these aren't the cannibal-type undead zombies, but humans infected with a rage virus. They don't want to eat you, they just want to kill you.

• Like 1

Would be cool to have alittle background story about the whole dayz thing. Hard to tell from this point of view how good the zombies are at smelling.

But i kind of like the idea to toss humen(or any other) flesh from the rooftop to distract zombies and loot other places safe. Makes me feel like the guy from Walking Dead :P

There is a backstory. Someone even posted a timeline detailing all the events leading up to where we are right now.

There is a backstory. Someone even posted a timeline detailing all the events leading up to where we are right now.

Yeah but how does the virus work? Ok they no zombies, they just infected. Got that. But do they have to eat? Do they maybe need even more food than humans? What do they eat? Us? Whats happening when they don't eat? Die? So they wouldnt eat flesh laying around but run behind pigs? The whole thing is pretty shady.

Edited by Freshmen

They don't eat anything. Really, the best reference are the rage zombies from 28 Days Later. All they do is kill anything non-infected that moves. They don't eat, so they starve to death eventually, as shown in the final scene of the movie. The only difference between those zombies and the DayZ ones is that DayZ zeds don't infect players, as players have a natural immunity to the virus.

• Like 1

So they dont eat, They should starve but they dont starve. You see my trouble there?^^

Who says they don't starve? It took the 28DL zombies up to 4 weeks to die, and the virus managed to infect enough people to keep it going for at least another 28 weeks (as shown in the aptly named sequel 28 Weeks Later). The zombies you encounter in DayZ might have only been infected for a few days for all you know.

Anything moving other than other zombies will attract them, which is just fine by me. Remember these aren't the cannibal-type undead zombies, but humans infected with a rage virus. They don't want to eat you, they just want to kill you.

Nah.. They don't want to eat you, they just do that animation for nothing.. you know the one? when your on the floor knocked out lol

• Like 1

The few times I encountered zombies standing next to a corpse, they were just standing there. When you're alive but unconscious, they'll still want to kill you.

Nah.. They don't want to eat you, they just do that animation for nothing.. you know the one? when your on the floor knocked out lol

Honestly.

I cannot recall seeing that since the mod.

Is that really still in?

Edited by BioHaze

So when i play the game for two month all Zeds, want to say infected, are gone due starvation and only survivors with resistance around?

Sweet talk or not, i call it a plothole.

You must be heaven to sit in a movie theatre with...

A little suspension of disbelief goes a long way. Otherwise, why play a game set in a fictional place overrun with a rage virus.

Think of it this way.... most characters won't survive that long in general.

Clock gets reset when person dies.

Plothole partially filled.

I think the most important thing to remember in this discussion is that DayZ is "your story".

I'm a former S*T*A*R*S* officer ship wrecked on the shore of some weird bastard cousin of the CZ just following a zombie apocalypse.

I've been exterminating infected created by Umbrella Corp since March '96.

Now all I need is my gear and it's massive open world zombie killing time....

A little suspension of disbelief goes a long way. Otherwise, why play a game set in a fictional place overrun with a rage virus.

So tell me again. Why shouldnt they eat flesh?^^

If it's just disbelief and fiction noone cares anyway...

But i have to admit, im kind of hard to satisfy

So tell me again. Why shouldnt they eat flesh?^^

If it's just disbelief and fiction noone cares anyway...

But i have to admit, im kind of hard to satisfy

Because they're not trying to survive. They're trying to kill anything that isn't dead or infected, that's it.

So me, who is using tools and arms and scavenging all day dies in pretty much 2-7 days. But a braindead one who don't eat lives longer then me. Meh im doing something wrong.

So me, who is using tools and arms and scavenging all day dies in pretty much 2-7 days. But a braindead one who don't eat lives longer then me. Meh im doing something wrong.

Yeah, you're trying to argue science in regards to a rage virus epidemic. 

Would be cool to have alittle background story about the whole dayz thing. Hard to tell from this point of view how good the zombies are at smelling.

But i kind of like the idea to toss humen(or any other) flesh from the rooftop to distract zombies and loot other places safe. Makes me feel like the guy from Walking Dead :P

I just said i would like more background story :(

I just said i would like more background story :(

And we told you there is one. If I can be bothered, I'll try to find that topic for you later tonight. 

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, the less back story for this type of game, the better. I really hate it when zombie flicks bend over backwards to try and scientifically explain every detail about zombies. Part of my fear experience is not knowing what the hell is going on, and having little or no means of finding out.

I don't have any problems with that not knowing thing if it is presented in a way which is well rounded up. I just mentioned the lack of story related to this topic:

Should zombies eat flesh

And usually what i read about this topic is just like your arguring: They no zombies they infected they don't eat.

So i just wonder how could they survive for maybe month without food. My reasoning tells me they had to stop their metabolic and become in fact undead and real zombies. But then everyone rages again and tells me they aint no zombies they just infected.

If you don't like infected eating, thats ok. But if you want to argure about why they don't have to eat don't use arguments like "Just play and don't ask it's just a game"

I don't have any problems with that not knowing thing if it is presented in a way which is well rounded up. I just mentioned the lack of story related to this topic:

Should zombies eat flesh

And usually what i read about this topic is just like your arguring: They no zombies they infected they don't eat.

So i just wonder how could they survive for maybe month without food. My reasoning tells me they had to stop their metabolic and become in fact undead and real zombies. But then everyone rages again and tells me they aint no zombies they just infected.

If you don't like infected eating, thats ok. But if you want to argure about why they don't have to eat don't use arguments like "Just play and don't ask it's just a game"

That's not what I meant. What I meant was, this is already a bit of a shaky premise, no point in making it any more complicated by explaining stuff at all costs. Just add the fact that zombies don't eat to the list of mysteries still surrounding the infection. Roleplay your character as someone trying to discover the truth. 

Should zombies eat flesh

Allow me to shed some light on the whole zombie business.

Long ago,i started a topic,discussing whether the infected were indeed infected or undead. (link)

I stumbled across this piece of information...

This is taken from the stringtable.xml file found in the the dayz_code folder of older versions of the mod.(got it from version 1.7.2.3)

its basically just an unused intro,

DEAN HALL PRESENTS

A USECFORCE PRODUCTION

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge 86% of the worlds population die Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly

You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

THIS IS YOUR STORY

So there you have it.Rocket's vision on the infected.

Also here's a video from the mod,demonstrating the zombie's eating animation.

(starts at 4:00)

So,the final verdict is,that the infected have a disease resembling rabies.

Information from Dean reveal,that they are extremely violent and use their sense of scent to tell friendly from foe.

However,it must be noted that zombies in the mod,didn't consume the survivor for more than 5 secs after death.

So one can assume that such behavior is caused of their violent frenzy rather than hunger.

• Like 1