AmazingAussie

9mm, .45 ACP and 7.62x39mm are military... why?

I have a big issue with the loot spawns at the moment, because, the ammo for some guns are only found at military places, yet the guns can be around across the map.

For example

- The SKS and CR527 Carbine is everywhere, the boxes of 7.62x39 is only at ATC, Jail, Barracks and other military places

- The CR75 and P1 is everywhere, yet the boxes of 9mm is the same as above (which takes 9mm)

- The Derringer and 1911 is everywhere, yet the boxes of .45 ACP is the same as above (which takes .45 ACP)

I know this is still alpha and loot isn't balanced, but seriously, this is what I'll like changed.

- The 7.62x39 boxes have a chance to spawn where every other civilian ammo spawns

- The 9mm boxes have a chance to spawn where every other civilian ammo spawns

- The .45 ACP boxes have a chance to spawn where every other civilian ammo spawns

Edited by Quackdot
  • Like 2

I've found plenty of .45 bullets piles around the north (not military areas)

I have a big issue with the loot spawns at the moment, because, the ammo for some guns are only found at military places, yet the guns can be around across the map.

For example

- The SKS and CR527 Carbine is everywhere, the boxes of 7.62x39 is only at ATC, Jail, Barracks and other military places

- The CR75 and P1 is everywhere, yet the boxes of 9mm is the same as above (which takes 9mm)

- The Derringer and 1911 is everywhere, yet the boxes of .45 ACP is the same as above (which takes .45 ACP)

I know this is still alpha and loot isn't balanced, but seriously, this is what I'll like changed.

- The 7.62x39 boxes have a chance to spawn where every other civilian ammo spawns

- The .45 ACP boxes have a chance to spawn where every other civilian ammo spawns

(the last two ammo types are civilian types of ammo)

Dude I did find ALOT of 7.62x39 inside police stations, it's just that chances are it's rare for it to spawn there since it's a civilian area.

Same thing with 9mm magazines and .45 ACP Fnx magazines ( which can be emptied for 0.45 Acp rounds )

Someone hasn't been looking hard enough....

Edited by Sgt Joe1

For example

- The SKS and CR527 Carbine is everywhere, the boxes of 7.62x39 is only at ATC, Jail, Barracks and other military places

(the last two ammo types are civilian types of ammo)

I agree. I always find sks and cr 527 carbines and their mags (too much rare in my opinion) in civilian spawns but what's the point of putting them there when to get their ammo you must go to military locations?

I find ammo everywhere, I found 9mm rounds(a lot of them) inside houses in berezino. What I never find, are mags.

I find ammo everywhere, I found 9mm rounds(a lot of them) inside houses in berezino. What I never find, are mags.

And in which kind of house? I have never seen them out of civilian areas and some secret spawns i know (that are not in berenzino)

And in which kind of house? I have never seen them out of civilian areas and some secret spawns i know (that are not in berenzino)

Well it was more than one kind of house, I also found them inside the apartments(not the big tall ones, I've never found a single item in there). 9mm seems to be extremely common compared to other ammo, with the exception of .22.

Well it was more than one kind of house, I also found them inside the apartments(not the big tall ones, I've never found a single item in there). 9mm seems to be extremely common compared to other ammo, with the exception of .22.

I think you are confusing them with .380 ammo... 9mm are the green and yellow boxes, .380 are different

• Like 1

I agree.  My main complaint is that the SKS takes 7.62x39mm ammo, but by the time you get your hands on that (usually), you are also picking up an AK.  Also, the 527 carbine is ridiculous.  I have 800 hours and have yet to fire one due to the madness involved in getting that weapon up and running.

Well from a realistic perspective...

45ACP I think should be a civilian cartridge since it's not really widespread in NATO anymore, since NATO has standardized all of its ammunition.

9mm should be both Civilian and Military because it's the standard pistol cartridge within NATO but also pretty handy for home defense...

7.62x39mm is kind of a military cartridge because it's the standard ammunition for most assault rifles in the former USSR.

That being said... I knew a guy from Serbia who served in the Serbian Army and according to him, the state doesn't want civilians owning weapons outside of like... basically shotguns (sporting grades like birdshot or buckshot) or hunting rifles. Assault weaponry, handguns and whatnot is very much regulated to military personnel only because the state doesn't want it's civilian population going in to revolt and mounting their own coup de tat.

Serbia is probably pretty far from Chernarus but I'm sure most of those lines of thought translate over pretty easily. That being said, the SKS by it's own description isn't a widely used weapon for military, mostly a collector's weapon and used for ceremonial purposes. So finding the actual guns, not that hard. Finding ammunition for it? Understandably more difficult.

45ACP I think should be a civilian cartridge since it's not really widespread in NATO anymore, since NATO has standardized all of its ammunition.

9mm should be both Civilian and Military because it's the standard pistol cartridge within NATO but also pretty handy for home defense...

7.62x39mm is kind of a military cartridge because it's the standard ammunition for most assault rifles in the former USSR.

That being said... I knew a guy from Serbia who served in the Serbian Army and according to him, the state doesn't want civilians owning weapons outside of like... basically shotguns (sporting grades like birdshot or buckshot) or hunting rifles. Assault weaponry, handguns and whatnot is very much regulated to military personnel only because the state doesn't want it's civilian population going in to revolt and mounting their own coup de tat.

Serbia is probably pretty far from Chernarus but I'm sure most of those lines of thought translate over pretty easily. That being said, the SKS by it's own description isn't a widely used weapon for military, mostly a collector's weapon and used for ceremonial purposes. So finding the actual guns, not that hard. Finding ammunition for it? Understandably more difficult.

It's quite clear Chernarus has a larger firearms community than many Eastern European countries... it's very akin to the Czech Republic, which is basically the European equivalent of the US in terms of gun ownership on said continent (except for maybe Switzerland.)

While still restricted, finding boxes or loose piles of 7.62x39mm ammunition should be a vague possibility. Not incredibly common, but enough so that the CR-527 and SKS can still be usable without needing to go to military spawns (assuming the game pace slows down later on.)

• Like 1

It's quite clear Chernarus has a larger firearms community than many Eastern European countries... it's very akin to the Czech Republic, which is basically the European equivalent of the US in terms of gun ownership on said continent (except for maybe Switzerland.)

While still restricted, finding boxes or loose piles of 7.62x39mm ammunition should be a vague possibility. Not incredibly common, but enough so that the CR-527 and SKS can still be usable without needing to go to military spawns (assuming the game pace slows down later on.)

Fair point, just evaluating the question based on my past experiences. *Shrug*

There was a civil war before the outbreak in the ArmA 2 series. I'd assume many people would have guns for self-defense. Not only that, they added a hunting rifle which takes the 7.62x39mm cartridge so it only makes sense to have it inside houses, at the moment the CR527 carbine is the waste of time - both hours trying to find the ammunition and hours adding it into DayZ.

By the time you find the right magazine and ammunition for the CR527 you already have a different and better gun.

Edited by Quackdot

Agree with OP on this. I was able to find a box or two of .45 acp in non military areas but I barely recall if I ever seen 9mm anywhere but military places. The 7.62x39 is not super rare but far from common at which point I agree it is waste of time than.

My main issue is with not only ammo availability as per OP but especially pistol magazines. I find it little ridiculous that so many are running around with high powered rifles yet finding a magazine for anything other than Makarov apparently requires silly amount of dumb luck. I am yet to find FX magazine or 1911M magazine and I've found one for CZ45 in countless hours put in.

My point is that I can find 3 Mosins rifles, ammo and LRS before I am able to find a pistol magazine yet wouldn't handguns be far more common firearm for domestic self defence? Also has anyone ever found MP5K and mag for it?

Furthermore I still dislike the whole military area loot. If there was an outbreak or civil unrest, most civilians would go to their nearest military & police station first thing, therefore there wouldn't be much left afterwards. I have no issues with heli crashes but special & high powered rifles should be scattered all over chernarus IMO anyways

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

Agree with OP on this. I was able to find a box or two of .45 acp in non military areas but I barely recall if I ever seen 9mm anywhere but military places. The 7.62x39 is not super rare but far from common at which point I agree it is waste of time than.

My main issue is with not only ammo availability as per OP but especially pistol magazines. I find it little ridiculous that so many are running around with high powered rifles yet finding a magazine for anything other than Makarov apparently requires silly amount of dumb luck. I am yet to find FX magazine or 1911M magazine and I've found one for CZ45 in countless hours put in.

My point is that I can find 3 Mosins rifles, ammo and LRS before I am able to find a pistol magazine yet wouldn't handguns be far more common firearm for domestic self defence? Also has anyone ever found MP5K and mag for it?

Furthermore I still dislike the whole military area loot. If there was an outbreak or civil unrest, most civilians would go to their nearest military & police station first thing, therefore there wouldn't be much left afterwards. I have no issues with heli crashes but special & high powered rifles should be scattered all over chernarus IMO anyways

This is regarding your "handguns for self-defense" idea.

Not really. South Zagoria, the region of Chernarus we play in, is not very urbanized. Most of the population lives in rural/semirural areas. A rifle is FAR more useful than a handgun in that situation; hunting, defending livestock, etc. You would be more likely to find a rifle or a shotgun for that reason.

Still doesn't explain why handgun magazines are so utterly rare as there's no reason for it and Czech rep. is not semi-rural. I agree that rifles would be far more useful than handguns ( however backup handgun is not to be frowned upon anyways ) but the way I see it is that this isn't about what is more useful and what isn't but why are handgun magazines so rare to begin with and that's not to mention that handguns is all that is ''really'' needed in days to survive and not make a COD out of it. Appreciate not everyone can share the same view on that 

Still doesn't explain why handgun magazines are so utterly rare as there's no reason for it and Czech rep. is not semi-rural. I agree that rifles would be far more useful than handguns ( however backup handgun is not to be frowned upon anyways ) but the way I see it is that this isn't about what is more useful and what isn't but why are handgun magazines so rare to begin with and that's not to mention that handguns is all that is ''really'' needed in days to survive and not make a COD out of it. Appreciate not everyone can share the same view on that 

1) Chernarus is not the Czech Republic. Get that out of your head. South Zagoria is VERY rural.

2) Handgun magazines are more rare because fewer people owned them before the zombie apocalypse (due to them being not as useful as rifles/shotguns), and because they required more maintenance. You cannot leave ammunition in a spring-loaded magazine forever, the springs will wear out (I think a week is tops, but don't quote me) and you will suffer FTF (failure to feed). 

3) Weird, I don't need a handgun to survive in Day Z. I can get by just fine with a bow. Seems like "you" need a handgun to survive.

• Like 1

1) Chernarus is not the Czech Republic. Get that out of your head. South Zagoria is VERY rural.

2) Handgun magazines are more rare because fewer people owned them before the zombie apocalypse (due to them being not as useful as rifles/shotguns), and because they required more maintenance. You cannot leave ammunition in a spring-loaded magazine forever, the springs will wear out (I think a week is tops, but don't quote me) and you will suffer FTF (failure to feed). 

3) Weird, I don't need a handgun to survive in Day Z. I can get by just fine with a bow. Seems like "you" need a handgun to survive.

+1

Also Col-Wick, not sure what you're talking about handgun magazines being rare. My friend and I are practically tripping over them all over the place (mostly high chance weapon spawns in major cities or the air field but they're certainly not as rare as you're making them out to be) when we run about.

Though I don't fully agree with magazines being rare, as WH123 says. Doesn't make sense to have magazine fed weapons lying around with no magazines to feed them, especially when producing magazines is almost as cheap as producing the handful of ammunition that they feed (if not less, thanks for the labour China :D)

Yeah leaving ammunition in a magazine is detrimental to its performance but more or less not how metal works. There -is- a failure to feed after the spring is worn out but it's only after a certain amount of the magazine. A spring is still a spring, which is typically metal. Metal only bends to a certain position when you bend it -further- than the position you want it and then it comes back (hence the spring property) just a touch. So... a fully depressed spring in a magazine after awhile would probably lose its ability to fully feed a weapon its full capacity to maybe a third or half of the magazine's original capacity.

Just guessing, I would say if you wore out a 30 round mag over a week, you'd only be fed about 10-15 rounds, maybe more maybe less. I am however just guessing based on my experience with metal work and whatnot, what the actual number or effect of leaving ammunition in a magazine for too long (or what that window is for that matter) is beyond me because I've no military/recreational shooting experience.

Everyone I know that owns a handgun generally keeps the magazine close by. Every factory made pistol sold COMES with a magazine. The fact that there are more pistols than there are mags for said pistols makes absolutely no sense at all, even my oddball AMT Automag IV has two mags laying next to it. Although finding the second magazine for that pistol took quite a bit of doing, pistols should spawn with at least magazine attached if not with another close by.

If zombies rose up in my area both of my pistols would have their mags attached and their secondary close. Even if I was out of ammo I'm not just going to throw my mag in the ocean and keep the pistol, which is what the local residents seem to be fond of doing. Has anyone in the world ever just found a loaded magazine laying around with no related weapon nearby? Like any situation that caused looting, be it war or riots, who are these people with loaded magazines compressing their springs and no weapons for them.

Furthermore, what military in the world uses standard .22? US airmen train with .22 LR converted m16's and there's the amphibious that I havent seen spawn in a few patchs but c'mon.

There isnt even a military weapon that uses these rounds yet I find boxes and boxes of them all over barracks and jails more common than any other round. The Chernarus military have a big rat problems?

Give us

it'll make no sense at all and be just about useless but at least we can get rid of all the .22!
  • Like 1

in eastern europe most "civilian weapons" are old russian military rifles such as AKs or SKS or mosin or they are shotguns not very many own handguns

They currently spawn in places other than those you listed. Every pickup crash has a chance for any of the above ammo, the guns, and even the mags. Those are scattered across the map sometimes with 10+ in a small area. The corner pub spawns pistols, mags, and ammo for them rarely. Many other locations do. The construction sites spawn scopes and other accessories, clips, ammo. 

In fact before I had ever gone near an ATC/Jail/Barracks or other military spawn I had an SKS with PU scope and about 10 boxes of ammo only visiting outlying areas. 

The issue is most players only visit Houses X/Y/Z and military spawns. They don't go near the other locations that do spawn such loot but only do so rarely so they miss it when it does spawn. 

For example

No, it's not just in those places. I find 7.62x39 basically everywhere.

+1

Also Col-Wick, not sure what you're talking about handgun magazines being rare. My friend and I are practically tripping over them all over the place (mostly high chance weapon spawns in major cities or the air field but they're certainly not as rare as you're making them out to be) when we run about.

Just guessing, I would say if you wore out a 30 round mag over a week, you'd only be fed about 10-15 rounds, maybe more maybe less. I am however just guessing based on my experience with metal work and whatnot, what the actual number or effect of leaving ammunition in a magazine for too long (or what that window is for that matter) is beyond me because I've no military/recreational shooting experience.

I am indeed talking about handgun magazines being rarer than high powered rifles. It's good you guys have had better luck but as per my post I am yet to find anything other than Makarov magazines. As for loaded magazines laying around, I didn't even bring that up and whether I find loaded mag or empty makes no difference to me in any way. Once again the issue I am discussing here is the rarity of magazines.

The original Chernarus has been designed around Northern part of Czech Republic so its safe to assume the trend continues on Cherna plus, even if with little artistic touches took over to make the map more interesting.

Once again I couldn't care less about magazines being loaded or half empty, my issue is that handgun magazines are far too scarce. The Police in CR carry side firearms to start with AFAIK, not to mention the Special forces used or still use MP5 widely.