Sign in to follow this  
JoeMama_Inc

Please Fix FPS

You might have noticed as a player that your FPS can be pretty low in cities. Don't worry, your not alone. I and many other players have this problems, and it's not our system build. It seems that DayZ has horrible optimization which causes the game to not use the system fully. I know this game is new and problems like this will occur, but I'm just asking the Devs to focus on this problem more extensively in order to get at least a stable FPS of 30. This may not matter to you guys, but I believe if this problem isn't fixed, then it could be a game breaking problem.

• Like 1

It's neither a problem nor is it broken. Also DayZ has no horrible optimization. It is not optimized at all, as this is usually the last big step in development.

We are currently playing on the old renderer. A new one is in development for many months already ( because developing such big engine modules takes so much time ). Optimizing the old one that you will replace anyway would be a waste of money and devtime. So it's just a matter of patience. I don't say that they will implement the new renderer and suddendly, everone has steady 40 FPS everywhere. But we can atually expect improvements in this area once the system is implemented because this will be the system meant to be in the finished game.

• Like 3

I find that just disabling shadows gave me a nice boost in FPS. 

• Like 2

It's neither a problem nor is it broken. Also DayZ has no horrible optimization. It is not optimized at all, as this is usually the last big step in development.

We are currently playing on the old renderer. A new one is in development for many months already ( because developing such big engine modules takes so much time ). Optimizing the old one that you will replace anyway would be a waste of money and devtime. So it's just a matter of patience. I don't say that they will implement the new renderer and suddendly, everone has steady 40 FPS everywhere. But we can atually expect improvements in this area once the system is implemented because this will be the system meant to be in the finished game.

I know it'll take a long time for this game to be complete and for them to fix this, I was just hoping that they could at least acknowledge that this can be fixed.  

I know it'll take a long time for this game to be complete and for them to fix this, I was just hoping that they could at least acknowledge that this can be fixed.  

As I said, you don't fix or improve stuff you are about to replace anyway. Eugen explained it pretty good once on reddit:

EDIT : For example to optimise the old render would take a lot of months (lets say 5-6), and it would still have to be redone after the new renderer gets in. So you would pay 6 months (240 mandays) of two developers time to get something that is irrelevant in next year. We chose the way for the new renderer because there are limitations to both particle systems, internal work of engine, post processing effects and much much more (terrain etc.) So we made the right decisions, and been out there trying to explain exactly those decisions.

• Like 1

As I said, you don't fix or improve stuff you are about to replace anyway. Eugen explained it pretty good once on reddit:

It really sucks that he only explained that on reddit tho.  Maybe if they actually frequented the "official" forums once in a blue moon people wouldn't be so up in arms everyday.

same here, huge boost from disabling shadows

i also have my cpu overclocked to 4.5ghz -_- ...that helped alot

Welcome to the Forums, please use the Search Function

Now where is that Dead Horse

• Like 1

Come back in about a year or year and a half for beta. It should start getting better then.

Come back in about a year or year and a half for beta. It should start getting better then.

Yeah, probably...

I'll try this, maybe it'll work.

Search your system for "dayz.cfg"
Open it
Spot these two lines:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
     GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Make them both "1"

Save it

Have fun with your extra fps

I also expierenced that setting the field of view higher reducing my fps lags during scoping. Still wonder why

Edited by Freshmen

You might have noticed as a player that your FPS can be pretty low in cities. Don't worry, your not alone. I and many other players have this problems, and it's not our system build. It seems that DayZ has horrible optimization which causes the game to not use the system fully. I know this game is new and problems like this will occur, but I'm just asking the Devs to focus on this problem more extensively in order to get at least a stable FPS of 30. This may not matter to you guys, but I believe if this problem isn't fixed, then it could be a game breaking problem.

A million people play this game. They can play it just fine. Adjust your video setting in-game. If you've already tried then just suck it up. I had to for 6 months because my fps was so bad I could barely kill zombies with a fire axe because the game was so laggy. But know I can play it on the highest setting for everything and still play the game super smooth in and out of cities. 0 Lag. This is what you need in order to play the game smoothly

-A good CPU comes first

-then a good graphics card

-then ram, even though there is more and less things it helps with.. Its complicated.

A million people play this game. They can play it just fine. Adjust your video setting in-game. If you've already tried then just suck it up. I had to for 6 months because my fps was so bad I could barely kill zombies with a fire axe because the game was so laggy. But know I can play it on the highest setting for everything and still play the game super smooth in and out of cities. 0 Lag. This is what you need in order to play the game smoothly

-A good CPU comes first

-then ram, even though there is more and less things it helps with.. Its complicated

i dont think thats true because there isnt 1 million people playing this game, infact there are only around 30k people playing at the moment, but over 2million have bought this game and i also dont think you can play everything maxed out and not recieve some sort of fps drop even with a highend computer,i have a highend computer and still recieve frame drops in cities

-A good CPU comes first

-then ram, even though there is more and less things it helps with.. Its complicated.

I just monitored my GPU and CPU usage

CPU at ~50%

GPU at ~31%

FPS in city ~18

while looking in the ocean my gpu goes up to 99% and my fps to above 100

pls explain me how its caused by my rig

P.S guess ill just wait till the new renders arive ;)

Edited by Freshmen

Not to get all sassy, but I am.

People/kids want to blame everyone else for THEIR(fps) problems. Look in the mirror and change yourself(your computer)

CPU at ~50%

GPU at ~31%

FPS in city ~18

i think you're looking at your cpu usage wrong

the only accurate in-game way to measure per-core usage is using MSI Afterburner as far as i know.....even so i can 100% guarrantee you that you are CPU-bottlenecked, regardless of what your CPU is

if disabling shadows doesnt give you an acceptable FPS in cities then you need a better cpu

i dont think thats true because there isnt 1 million people playing this game, infact there are only around 30k people playing at the moment, but over 2million have bought this game and i also dont think you can play everything maxed out and not recieve some sort of fps drop even with a highend computer,i have a highend computer and still recieve frame drops in cities

I am mistaken then, thanks. But there is 1 million people who have tried playing this game. ;)

CPU at ~50%

GPU at ~31%

FPS in city ~18

That's actually quite logical.

When you look at the city, objects get rendered, items and item conditions get synchronized, player and AI positions get updated when near etc - thats all simulation stuff run by the cpu.

When you look at the ocean, you have a dynamic texture, light and shadow. No objects, no items, no players. Mostly GPU work.

this is actually how it works in pretty much every game.....you can counter this by having vsync/triple buffering on or a frame cap to 60

CPU at ~50%

GPU at ~31%

FPS in city ~18

Your  GPU and CPU go up dangerously high. May I recommend  a few things that WILL raise your fps? Before I got a new computer, I used these little tricks: Razor Game Booster http://www.razerzone.com/eu-en/cortex/game-booster.- What it does is shuts off any tasks temporarily while you are playing DayZ. It is completely safe and used by many people.

This Second tip raises your fps Significantly I must say, and I still use it even with my current computer: Go to File Explorer>Documents>DayZ>DayZ.cfg. Once you are here you set: GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

I don't know why, but this seams to raise your fps.

This is another tip that I do not use anymore: This tip requires you to go to Go to File Explorer>Documents>DayZ>PlayerName.DayZProfile. Once you are here you must scroll all the way down till you reach sceneComplexity=1000000;

shadowZDistance=100;

Once you are here, set the scene complexity from one million down to 400,000 or 500,000. (if you are going to do this tip, do so after all others have already been done) if you set it to 4-500,00 and it feels like it can go lower, then by all means do so.

This is if all else doesn't raise your fps significantly, and is one of the most effect things you can do: Go to configuration, then to video, then user interface, and set the resolution down to 1280x720x32. This will take the game from 1080p HD down to 720P HD. 

If you have any questions then please ask, or if you want to find out how to raise FPS for yourself truly, then go watch the 20 or so videos on FPS for DayZ on YouTube.

It really sucks that he only explained that on reddit tho.  Maybe if they actually frequented the "official" forums once in a blue moon people wouldn't be so up in arms everyday.

Two points -

1) Developers will begin in 2015 to use the forums as the central point of communication with the userbase. You will see more of us here.

2) As mentioned prior, DayZ has little to no optimization done on it client side at this time. This is tied almost entirely to the fact that we are in progress of replacing the renderering portion of our core engine. Any optimization done on the original renderer would be man hours lost, and time added on to the development of DayZ.

Concurrents do not equal uniques. DayZ has an average of 1,100,000 unique players cycling in and trying the new content each month.

• Like 7

Two points -

1) Developers will begin in 2015 to use the forums as the central point of communication with the userbase. You will see more of us here.

2) As mentioned prior, DayZ has little to no optimization done on it client side at this time. This is tied almost entirely to the fact that we are in progress of replacing the renderering portion of our core engine. Any optimization done on the original renderer would be man hours lost, and time added on to the development of DayZ.

Concurrents do not equal uniques. DayZ has an average of 1,100,000 unique players cycling in and trying the new content each month.

hicks+wordz=awesome

love when you guys jump in and give the "for real" :thumbsup:

Great News! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

infact there are only around 30k people playing at the moment,

I'd love to see the source of these numbers, even more so when you add "in fact" to the start of it.