Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

Player run speed, turn speed

I tested DayZ's sprint and jog speeds and was surprised to find the following:

sprinting = 23.15 km/h (+/- 0.15 m/s)

jogging = 14.7 km/h (+/- 0.03 m/s)

Sprinting speed is the same as in ArmA 2, and jogging is about 18% slower than in ArmA 2.

So the player run speed is not a real issue. The main problem is the unlimited turn speed. Since the devs chose to remove the mechanics limiting players' movement in the first place, they may be averse to reinstating such limitations. I hope they will find a way to prevent all the crazy, spastic movement while managing to retain fluid controls.

For comparison, in ArmA 3, jog and sprint speeds are 14.3 and 24.7 km/h for a civilian, and IIRC about 13.6 and 18.2 km/h for a kitted soldier (depends on gear). And of course, in both ArmAs, you can't sprint indefinitely.

• Like 3

Well in all honesty, your mouse turn speed will effect both games differently so that really is a terrible comparison.

Well in all honesty, your mouse turn speed will effect both games differently so that really is a terrible comparison.

How so?

360 deg = ~1.2-1.3 sec in ArmA 2

360 deg = instantaneous in DayZ

Mouse acceleration, specific DPI and sensitivity don't change anything about the fact the max turn speed is way too fast in DayZ.

How so?

360 deg = ~1.2-1.3 sec in ArmA 2

360 deg = instantaneous in DayZ

Mouse acceleration, specific DPI and sensitivity don't change anything about the fact the max turn speed is way too fast in DayZ.

Oh I very much agree about the turning speed but you're comparing apples to oranges with the two games, that's all i was saying.  People wanted a twitch shooter style and Bohemia delivered for them.  

I did this video about it back in April and I've hated the turn speed since.  Melee combat is atrocious because of it and it makes gun battles horrible. 

Oh I very much agree about the turning speed but you're comparing apples to oranges with the two games, that's all i was saying.  People wanted a twitch shooter style and Bohemia delivered for them.  

I did this video about it back in April and I've hated the turn speed since.  Melee combat is atrocious because of it and it makes gun battles horrible. 

Disagree, thats why weapons have swing when you are going to aim them. This is also to combat 'instant turning around'. It maximum turning could probably be decreased a small bit. 

I would personally hope to see jog a wee bit faster, and the cap for dead sprint/extended jog relative to your health, status and gear load.

Edited by Judopunch

Disagree, thats why weapons have swing when you are going to aim them. This is also to combat 'instant turning around'. It maximum turning could probably be decreased a small bit. 

I would personally hope to see jog a wee bit faster, and the cap for dead sprint/extended jog relative to your health, status and gear load.

The swing doesn't compensate for how fast we can turn pivot tho.

Well people all wanted 1:1 mouse input .....be carefull what you wish for!

Removing mouse accel to appease the masses was one of the biggest design mistakes in SA IMO :(

One thing though....people keep saying you couldn't sprint forever in arma 2.....as far as I remember you could. I used to double tap W to sprint....steam overlay for autorun....he never slowed down though. Well he did for hills ect but sprint always reinstated when on the flat. That was one of the reasons I was looking forward to SA....for all the crap it had, epochs weight system was pretty good. Sure you can carry all that crap if you want....but you will start passing out if you do. I wanted something like that in SA, to actually make sprinting become a decision with pros and cons :)

I see? Kind of? Not really... anyways, the instaturns suck is my point. People first complain about the clunkiness and then complain about the responsiveness

Turn speed while aiming firearms is not an issue, the problem is with the rapidly darting players. Incredibly unrealistic, very difficult to hit people doing evasive maneuvers, and looks ridiculous. The desync makes it that much worse. People will easily sprint in circles and punch/axe geared players.

For example the circle-running in this video posted to Reddit just the other day. Those maneuvers are not even physically possible. If that guy was out in a field and not confined to that small area, it would look and play even worse.

Jog could be faster because it feels kinda slow and right now no one will use jog unless they are forced to. But if you are carrying full jerry cans or 300 rounds of ammunition, your jog should be slower than a normally-loaded player, every item should have a weight value.

• Like 1

I thought the sprint slowed down over time in the mod... Which I though was an elegant way to limit the sprint duration.

I thought the sprint slowed down over time in the mod... Which I though was an elegant way to limit the sprint duration.

It does in both ArmA 2 and 3, it will gradually slow from 23.15 to 17.64 km/h in A2... in A3 it will slow to a crawl.

Edited by Gews

It does in both ArmA 2 and 3, it will gradually slow from 23.15 to 17.64 km/h in A2... in A3 it will slow to a crawl.

Well I never knew that...it must do it so slowly its almost unnoticeable. I like the feature though, nice representation of fatigue. Hopefully that will come to SA in a new and improved form.  

The way I used to look at mouse accel in A2 was that if I tried to pull a stupidly quick turn (and ended up with barrel pointing to the sky) then it was simulating falling on my ass, or pulling a muscle from turning way to fast. I couldn't agree more that what we have now looks unnatural :)

The turn speed is kind of jarring at the moment it makes the game feel like a twitch shooter and this is even when accounting for the inertia of the weapons.

I am one of those that actually prefers the feel of arma 2 , Arma 3 and now dayz feel far far removed from a sim and feel more like an arena shooter.

Hopefully there is a major pass in regards to movement one that as a result will end up with players in game better mimicking what is done in real life.

This means very little sprinting, some jogging and a whole lot of walking as a means of transportation.

Hi, I'm playing Life is Feudal and it has a very good turning system for characters in my opinion, the camera will turn instantly 180º  without "mouse lag" but the character will take some time until turns 180º.

Maybe Bohemia could toy with this system and introduce it into Dayz.

I made a video so you can see what I mean:

https://youtu.be/1fZV1VFTI98

Edited by Wili