Redrick (DayZ)

Playing dead...

I think it'd be neat if one could like the sit animation actually do the "dead" animation. It'd give players a nice rush to be able to have a chance at the one that attempted to kill them. Or even, just in a group vs group firefight stand a chance for survival.

Maybe making it harder by increasing the chance of getting found when you bleed or have a fresh wound which just got dealt with. (Given they can smell blood or something and you would still have fresh blood on your clothes until they dry off.)

If you get shot by a bandit, you could play dead and so your body would be lootable. However the only problem would be that all corpses have the "Hide Body" option, so even if you were playing dead people would know you were not actually dead due to there not being a "Hide Body" option.

If you get shot by a bandit' date=' you could play dead and so your body would be lootable. However the only problem would be that all corpses have the "Hide Body" option, so even if you were playing dead people would know you were not actually dead due to there not being a "Hide Body" option.

[/quote']

Well thats the point of "playing" dead, to appear so, so that you could perhaps get out that one last fighting chance that could make or break if you survive an encounter or not. Once a bandit realizes he cant hide your body, you'll have hopefully (assuming your not a dead brained monkey) gotten out of the animation, pulled your gun and delivered a few rounds into him.

I was just thinking of this the other night, but then people would just get used to putting a few extra shots into someone after they're down. "Oh, I got them. They're probably in the "play dead" animation..." *shoots them 2 more times in the skull*

It would only work if that person was under extreme pressure and forgot to deliver the double tap to make SURE you're dead, but it would work sometimes nonetheless.

Wouldnt work, the fact that a murder wasnt added to the debug monitor would show the person wasnt killed, negating this entire thing

Well this is why it's a suggestion, down the line when the debug monitor wont be needed and a more updated version is put in it's place.

Wouldnt work' date=' the fact that a murder wasnt added to the debug monitor would show the person wasnt killed, negating this entire thing

[/quote']

It wouldn't work if the player in question is paying very close attention to tiny clues like this, not everybody checks the debug monitor every time they are in an encounter, there will be times when the player is rushing, or just not that overtly vigilant, that this will pay off.

Playing dead would be a neat "Last resort" tactic, so even if it failed 90% of the time you're only going to be using it in situations where the chances of failure are otherwise ~100%; That 10% chance of surviving is enough for any survivor to cling to.

Would not work on the noob servers with "regular" difficulty settings, as name tags would show up ...

Just saying... you can already play dead in ArmA. I've used it in some pvp scenarios, though not in DayZ yet.

Lie down on the ground, press G to drop your weapon and look down.

It's not exactly the same thing but it can still be enough to decieve players.

Hiding among other dead bodies also helps.

I did that before too but as a concealment method, not to evade a pursuer.

Used this in Flashpoint, find a dead body and crawl under it, aim down then double tap alt to disengage gun from head and check your surrounding.

I'm not sure how well it works in Arma however.