Sign in to follow this  
Klazsh

Fists/Meele Combat

I was thinking, in a real life apocalypse, your going to have to use your cunning and wits...well you would be stupid not to use your fists so i suggest that you use for fists but only for emergency only. It does very little damage and grants a little knockback of some sort. I think it just would be smart to incoporate hand-to-hand combat into this..

I don't support this as punching a zombie is one of the worst ideas ever.

seeing as how these are infected, and no re-animated corpses, punching them couldn't' harm you more than not punching them...it would probably help, because you might be able to knock them over and give yourself enough time to run away

A Chuck Norris reverse snap kick to the head would be awesome though.

How is it in any way the worst idea? You're cornered in an empty room with a pissed off, bloody mouthed, salavating cannible advancing towards you - and you're just going to put up your hands and let it chow down? HELL NO. Punching it in the face, providing a momentary knock back as Klazsh said, could give you just the amount of leverage you need to push past an infected and get out of the building you're stuck in. I think this could especially help when you find yourself stuck in the enterable buildings with only one entrance when your unarmed and a few infected have followed you inside, or when you've run out of ammo maybe you should be able to clobber them with your gun to get away. It may not put them down, but at least it would give you a chance to shake them off, right?

How is it in any way the worst idea? You're cornered in an empty room with a pissed off' date=' bloody mouthed, salavating cannible advancing towards you - and you're just going to put up your hands and let it chow down? HELL NO. Punching it in the face, providing a momentary knock back as Klazsh said, could give you just the amount of leverage you need to push past an infected and get out of the building you're stuck in. I think this could especially help when you find yourself stuck in the enterable buildings with only one entrance when your unarmed and a few infected have followed you inside, or when you've run out of ammo maybe you should be able to clobber them with your gun to get away. It may not put them down, but at least it would give you a chance to shake them off, right?

[/quote'] Exactly, people who just spawn will go into buildings and items that they will want to keep maybe go to the hospital to get bloodbags for their friends, just to find out their stuck in there with no defense and no way to get out, especially if the only way out is stairs like those hotels with the multiple flights of stairs. Then people will get angry and just quit, and i would rather see people playing the fun mod then quitting.

I say "no". Even FPS games that do melee combat well don't do it that well. We definitely don't need something that would need "core gameplay focus" levels of attention for something that most players would actively try to avoid anyway.

It's not a matter of whether hand to hand would be cool etc., it's a matter of the Arma 2 engine not supporting it in the first place. For it to be in any way realistic or acceptable it would need new animations, new damage models etc., and a hell of a lot of code. Even if they somehow managed to cobble some cheesy hand to hand combat mechanic together, it would be a complete joke compared to other games where this had been designed into the engine from the ground up.

They are not building a game here. They are building a mod, which has limitations and constrants of what the engine can and cannot do. There are plenty of cool things that would make this game better, but they will never happen because it would take a large team of devs several months to build and perfect. Until the day that they announce DayZ as a stand alone game supported by a full staff of devs, we are pretty much limited to the 'easy' things that can be done. Most of the ideas people are putting forth are simply not possible for a small mod team to achieve.