Sign in to follow this  
DevoX

How do i find where i put my tent?

So i found a tent and im looking for a spot to place it. But it just hit me that after i place it i have no reference of where to find my tent later on. How do i know my exact cords on the map in the middle of a forest? What do you guys do, am i missing something here? You would need to know the exact cords of your location so you can jot it down after you place the tent in order to be able to come back to your base, right?

Help please.

if you have any knowledge of the map finding a location and then finding back is the easiest thing

I have a full map and im somewhat familiar with the map but you cant expect me to know the woods like in the middle of a forest well enough to find my way back. You know all the forests well enough to find yourself back?

find a place you go often enough to know back to front. for example, i have been around devils castle enough to know both it and the mountain. plus, all the tents are pretty easy to find anyway due to their colour.

good luck.

this is navigation 101.

1) find hill/building you can remember

2) find compass bearing of direction you will run (write it down if necessary)

3) count the number of steps your character makes (or time with stop watch) until you stop

4) place the tent

come back next day, find your hill/building and repeat the journey...

• Like 2

So i found a tent and im looking for a spot to place it. But it just hit me that after i place it i have no reference of where to find my tent later on. How do i know my exact cords on the map in the middle of a forest? What do you guys do, am i missing something here? You would need to know the exact cords of your location so you can jot it down after you place the tent in order to be able to come back to your base, right?

Help please.

No, you don't need the exact cords. You do what you would do in the real life. Remember where you put it up, and remember how to get there.

• Like 2

I have a full map and im somewhat familiar with the map but you cant expect me to know the woods like in the middle of a forest well enough to find my way back. You know all the forests well enough to find yourself back?

I know this back like my back hand (1000h)

Yes.  I also know how to land navigate with a compass and by terrain association. 

This map is very accurate so it makes it easy.  Find a spot that is easy to remember, like a rock formation.  If you have walked far enough and think you are in a safe location you aren't so double the distance you just went, then you are safe. 

Before you place the tent:

Sit quietly or go prone for a few minutes to make sure you were not followed looking back the way you came from.

Know where you are on the map in relation to the nearest town, road junction,  water source, whatever.. 

Also, if you have a compass look for a couple of points that you can use, note the directions.  This way you know that when the points are lined up with your compass you are in the right area. 

Before you leave the site completely take a good look around and every once in awhile, on the way out, look behind you so you'll be familiar what it look like to get there.

A suggestion is that you research terrain association and orienteering.  You will need to learn to trust the compass.   These are real skills that come in just as handy here as they will and real life. 

Remember always that a real man NEVER asks for directions and you are never really lost only slightly and temporarily mis-oriented.

Never make a fire near your tent and do not hang around where your tent is placed.

Edited by Barnabus

Thank you all for the replies. Great tips. I found a spot and i know where its at :)

I'm lucky to know the map off by heart after running/flying/driving around it for years from arma2 and dayz mod and now SA but you've got a good point, if you don't know the map so well and you can't place waypoints like we all used to do in all the Arma2 & mod days it will be more difficult to get a bearing. 

As was said above though, find somewhere off the beaten track but somewhere you go often and make your home there. In my experience the middle of the woods is never a good place to put down roots(what a pun!!), cos when people come to search for tents to loot that's the first place they go to look. Northern Woods, far NW or the Black forest or the Tulga area used to always find loads of tents in the mod. 

The most safe places usually were the ones right under everyone's noses. Right on the doorstep of a busy part of the map but where no one would think to look......

Anyway good luck to you !  

Edited by Richard III in Leicester

Find a landmark on the map from which you can go in a straight line to the emplacement you want to put down the tent. When you want to find it again, find the landmark, point the right direction, and walk till you find your tent again. Basic navigation really.

Edited by EchoZeero