Sign in to follow this  
threedogification

Surgery

Even after all of this time, I don't see why the devs haven't thought about adding surgery I to the game. This can go as in depth as needed, but most can be simple stuff such as sutures and bandaging. I think that when you go into this kind of repair, you could go into first person and see your char do these kinds of things.

I also believe that it would be cool to have some kind of third party surgery. Let's say your friend gets shot in the stomach, with no vital damage on your internals. You lay him down on a bed if you can, elevate his legs, and look at the wound. The bullet is still in there so you grab a rag and press on the wound. There's a squirt as the blood pours out. He's unconcious by know, putting his full trust in you that you will make him better. You jump up and grab your pliers, knife, and a saline bag.

You inject the saline bag into his arm, and set it on a shelf. You lift up the bloody rag, and cut the wound more. Your fingers slide into the wound and you feel a small bullet. Any slip up could mean death for your friend. You retract your fingers while grasping the bullet, slowly, ever slowly. The bullet clangs onto the floor as you throw it away. You grab the sewing kit and quickly sew it up. Then, you put his legs down.

You've done what you can, and it's all up to his body to survive and wake up.

An hour later, still, nothing. Then, after the night, he wakes and is ever happy that you went inside of him to save his life.

And then an hour later a bandit shoots him in the back and instantly kills him.

TL;DR: dude gets shot, gets surgery, gets shot again.

Loving your example, I wouldnt mind a form of surgery, maybe not so in depth rn, but a little something would be cool!

I'm no medical expert, but what's the point of taking a bullet out? Isn't it in fact the only thing keeping the person from bleeding out even more rapidly? Not to mention you run the risk of damaging even more tissue/organs in the process of trying to pull the thing out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Geckofrog7

This could also lead to infections for not properly cleaning the wound and the tools, ranging from mild to severe. I would imagine you may need to give the patient a pint or 2 of blood.

It could also lead to a whole new type of shenanigans, people posing as a doctor/medic only to kill their patients in the end by giving them the wrong blood type or by not cleaning their tools properly.

I'm no medical expert, but what's the point of taking a bullet out? Isn't it in fact the only thing keeping the person from bleeding out even more rapidly? Not to mention you run the risk of damaging even more tissue/organs in the process of trying to pull the thing out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not a medical expert either, I do believe though that it varies on the wound. For example, say your shot with an arrow, the shaft is almost acting as an artificial blood clot, keeping you from bleeding out. Whereas a bullet, which would probably penetrate a ways into the body doesn't do this. And leaving the bullet in for a long period of time leads to complications, IE, tetanus from the oxidizing metal, various infections, and of course, the extreme pain associated with having a sharp piece of metal stuck inside you.

I'm in favour of having a skill system, it makes people much more valuable, encouraging cooperation and thinking before shooting.

The procedure you describe sounds wonderful dramatic, like a movie, but I think it would be much too costly in terms of development hours.

In the past I have proposed that players could find a book on medical treatment which would allow them to do surgery provided they had the right tools. Upon doing a task, like field surgery your character has learned the skill and the book is no longer needed, but the tools are off cause.

As for how to do the surgery in game?

I consider it risky emergency amateur field surgery.

I think it's first important to see where the wound is, or has the patient multiple wounds?

Check blood pressure, to know how much blood the patient still has, estimate if you can complete the whole operation before the patient runs out of blood, which = death.

Know the blood loss increases when you're operating, it's like a time clock; and if you're not quick the patient will die. If the player was already near dying due to low blood-levels, giving 1 saline bag beforehand should give him a good blood boost, allowing you just enough time to operate.

If the patient is conscious an anaesthetic is needed; the player needs to be unconscious during the operation - can be done in multiple ways, multiple doses of morphine, knock to the chin, ...

If you see the player is already unconscious (due to blood loss for instance), then you can operate right away.

So the patient is unconscious, now you kneel next to his body and open it up with a cutting object, remember to make it sterile with alcohol or fire. Find the bullet. Use (sterile) pliers or knife to get the bullet out. Use herbs/ honey/ or some other disinfectant to prevent infections. use cord and needle to close the wound. Use a bandage to seal the would. Use saline to compensate for the blood loss. If the player was unconscious because of the blood loss, he'll come around when you apply a saline bag, maybe two if he had lots of blood loss.

Why would players need operations?

To remove bullets that have them limping - when hit in a leg. If hit in the arm they become unable to support a two hand rifle standing.

To prevent players from infections that lead to getting the "Z disease" and dying from that.

Applying a splint only allows a player to stand up and limp, with sounds of being in extreme pain other can hear over modest distance. The pain sounds will diminish over time.

Morphine injection is like a temporary splint, without pain sounds, with some blur and more colour saturation? to simulate the mind altering aspect of it.

Edited by Troll_Hunter
  • Like 1