Sign in to follow this  
bobotype3334

Phones, Pepper Spray, Tear Gas, Wallets, Belts, Hip Flasks

Okay, here's a bunch of equipment suggestions I think would add a lot to DayZ, and be worth the effort of adding.

Hamsung Flip Phone / Gargle Smart Phone / Lemon Smart Phone. Makes sense for many people to be carrying a phone. You can use it for light, you can play a song on it, you can take it apart for crafting materials [the battery to power something, or the glass screen as a prism firelighter and sharp cutting edge]. Or you can play Snake on it [as an Easter egg]. Or you can throw it like a Rock. Its battery can be removed, but only powers Phones.
Also, players could start spawning with Phones instead of Flashlights.

Pepper Spray: For personal defense? At a short range, it can be used to completely blind a zombie or player for a short time, although the player or zombie can still flail around and attack. Has 10 charges. Face coverings such as masks/gas masks prevent this weapon from working.
With the acceleration of time in DayZ, let's say it works for a minute of blinding if it hits you, and aftereffects last for 15 minutes of mildly blurred vision. [And spraypaint can have the same effect on eyes.]

Lighter: A small, quick, and easy firelighter for crafting and pyromania. Can be crafted into a makeshift flamethrower later! Also they function as a weak light source [kudos to BeefBacon

Hip flask: Apparently your player was something of an alcoholic, or just happened to pick this up. Whatever. Can hold water, fuel, blood, detergent, juice, spirits or urine, but for now is full of vodka! You can also throw it at people. The vodka inside is useful for sterilising, like its medical alcohol counterpart.

Belt: It can be used to restrain players, or as crafting material to bind together stuff, or to hold up dem pants [perhaps make pants with lots of pockets require a belt]

Tear Gas Canisters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas Has basically the same effect as the Mace, except sunglasses won't protect you, and is a thrown grenade that ricochets off surfaces and explodes into a large gas cloud. Exposure will blind you and immobilise you for a good minute, the best protection from one of these is a nice gas mask.

Edited by bobotype3334
  • Like 7

My review on the items on the post

Phones: even if making calls are in the past these are actually a decent idea, have 'em spawn semi-commonly

Pepper spray: Awesome! should spawn at police stations only, These should be semi-rare

Lighter: All for this one, the possibilities are limitless!

Hip flask: Common, Should carry a small amount of liquid but overall agreeable choice

Belt: trousers (pants) should have a 75% chance to spawn with a belt and should come in both civilian and military variants.

Tear gas: Rarer than Pepper spray, Should be a common to rare helecopter crashsite item

Overall, The devteam really should consider at least a few of these ideas if they aint already

• Like 1

My review on the items on the post

Phones: even if making calls are in the past these are actually a decent idea, have 'em spawn semi-commonly

Pepper spray: Awesome! should spawn at police stations only, These should be semi-rare

Lighter: All for this one, the possibilities are limitless!

Hip flask: Common, Should carry a small amount of liquid but overall agreeable choice

Belt: trousers (pants) should have a 75% chance to spawn with a belt and should come in both civilian and military variants.

Tear gas: Rarer than Pepper spray, Should be a common to rare helecopter crashsite item

Overall, The devteam really should consider at least a few of these ideas if they aint already

Thanks duderino! I also suggested wallets as is in the title, but edited that out because the devs apparently already have them in the game files and might be working on them.

I have high hopes for this vidya gaem

Okay, here's a bunch of equipment suggestions I think would add a lot to DayZ, and be worth the effort of adding.

Hamsung Flip Phone / Gargle Smart Phone / Lemon Smart Phone. Makes sense for many people to be carrying a phone. You can use it for light, you can play a song on it, you can take it apart for crafting materials [the battery to power something, or the glass screen as a prism firelighter and sharp cutting edge]. Or you can play Snake on it [as an Easter egg]. Or you can throw it like a Rock. Its battery can be removed, but only powers Phones.

Also, players could start spawning with Phones instead of Flashlights.

This.

The belt could also be used as a tourniquet to slow bleeding until you can find something to stop it or let you put pistols in your waistband.

• Like 1

Not super interested in phones, but pepper spray, tear gas and lighters are pretty cool ideas. A lighter could be an alternative to matches, though it's not as though matches are rare or take up much space. Could also serve as a lightsource, though not a very good one.

Actually wouldn't mind seeing players spawn with a lighter instead of a flashlight. A lighter would be a source of light and a means to make a fire, which should be extremely useful to your average survivor. Should have limited fluid, though. Maybe lighter fluid could come in bottles, and can be combined with a rag to make a firebomb. 

Can't really see hip flasks being introduced unless they spawn with drinkable alcohol that, I don't know, warms you up or something.

Belts... eh. Could be a means to mount small packs and maybe holster a pistol. Could also maybe be a means of slowing bleeding if you don't have access to clean bandages.

Not super interested in phones, but pepper spray, tear gas and lighters are pretty cool ideas. A lighter could be an alternative to matches, though it's not as though matches are rare or take up much space. Could also serve as a lightsource, though not a very good one.]

Can't really see hip flasks being introduced unless they spawn with drinkable alcohol that, I don't know, warms you up or something.

Sorry to be a negative nancy but purple cargo pants and Child Backpacks and such didn't really interest me that much either. However, they do have a good reason to be in the game. So that's why they should implement phones if they can. I mean, they have GPSes.

I actually didn't think of lighters as a light source, I'm a bit dim, aren't I? (kek) I'll add it to the OP and credit you, thanks :) 

And I didn't think of alcohol as warming either. Although that's for a good reason: alcohol doesn't actually warm your body up, it just moves blood to the skin [why your face goes red sometimes when you're drunk], creating sensation of warmth while not actually giving any. The more you know! But if you'll reread the OP, you will see I did actually suggest drinkable alcohol in the hip flasks already [vodka], and even if they didn't have that they would be useful as containers for bambis.

And I didn't think of alcohol as warming either. Although that's for a good reason: alcohol doesn't actually warm your body up, it just moves blood to the skin [why your face goes red sometimes when you're drunk], creating sensation of warmth while not actually giving any. The more you know!

Oh yes I'm quite aware of that, but for gameplay purposes this would make sense. Take STALKER for example. If you get radiation poisoning you can just neck a few bottles of vodka. Vodka is common, but the tradeoff is that it's heavy and less effective than other anti-radiation drugs, as well as causing temporary drunkenness. In real life drinking a bottle of vodka wouldn't cure you of radiation sickness, but videogames.

So I figure that vodka could be big and heavy and cause drunkenness, but also warm up the player. Could also cause vomiting if used too much. If not that then it could negate the effects of being cold (shivering, slow running speed, etc) but it won't stop you from freezing to death.

And yes, lighters would be very dim but they should be able to cast some light on, say, the pitch black interior of a house when looting at night.

My opposition to phones is more personal preference than some objective reasoning. I just don't think it fits into DayZ. A shitty phone from the early 2000s could make sense, given the setting, but I wouldn't want to see iPhones loaded with Apple maps. As an alternative means of long-distance communication I have no problem with it, but as a GPS? I'd rather GPS be limited to dedicated devices rather than a mobile phone.

I like the idea of restraining somebody with a belt. As handcuffs seem to spawn so often within the game, perhaps they could make handcuffs a little more rarer (Spawning only in police stations and perhaps a couple other spots), then have belts be as common as they are. It would be the less reliable way of restraining somebody.

Oh yes I'm quite aware of that, but for gameplay purposes this would make sense. Take STALKER for example. If you get radiation poisoning you can just neck a few bottles of vodka. Vodka is common, but the tradeoff is that it's heavy and less effective than other anti-radiation drugs, as well as causing temporary drunkenness. In real life drinking a bottle of vodka wouldn't cure you of radiation sickness, but videogames.

So I figure that vodka could be big and heavy and cause drunkenness, but also warm up the player. Could also cause vomiting if used too much. If not that then it could negate the effects of being cold (shivering, slow running speed, etc) but it won't stop you from freezing to death.

And yes, lighters would be very dim but they should be able to cast some light on, say, the pitch black interior of a house when looting at night.

My opposition to phones is more personal preference than some objective reasoning. I just don't think it fits into DayZ. A shitty phone from the early 2000s could make sense, given the setting, but I wouldn't want to see iPhones loaded with Apple maps. As an alternative means of long-distance communication I have no problem with it, but as a GPS? I'd rather GPS be limited to dedicated devices rather than a mobile phone.

I like the sound of that with the alcohol. So it lets you continue doing stuff but you can still contract hypothermia, and as well it's a placebo source of hydration, a makeshift steriliser and a fuel. But realism is key. I dunno if hangovers should be a thing too then, although some players may not live long enough to see that.

You would think smartphones don't fit DayZ, but maybe your character is a tourist?

Sure you wouldn't want to see Apple iPhones, that's why I'm proposing the Lemon Uphone. [Get it? lemon, because it's a dud phone? I'm here all Monday]

As for the GPS, I wasn't saying phones should have GPS or maps. I was just using it as a gauge of the wealth of Chernarussians. To share an anecdote, one of my friends told me in Czechoslovakia some people pay to rent iPhones because they're a symbol of Western first-world status. It's a developing country, you know? If you think of your stereotypical urban Slav he's dressed in 2000s-era tracksuit with the beret and the flip-phone, but surely some of them could afford Androids too if that sort of materialism is the case. And if phones were implemented with other random gear in pockets, you would see them pretty rarely anyway.

All my OP was saying was phones would just be a crap light source, a useful source of 2 crafting materials, and maybe be able to play Snake or play music or something while battery lasts. Das all mane. And there would be randomisation between flip-phones, faux iPhones and faux Androids.

PEzEYCX.png

I like the idea of restraining somebody with a belt. As handcuffs seem to spawn so often within the game, perhaps they could make handcuffs a little more rarer (Spawning only in police stations and perhaps a couple other spots), then have belts be as common as they are. It would be the less reliable way of restraining somebody.

You can tie someone up with a belt or rope, but they can wriggle free within 7 minutes if unsupervised [DayZ accelerated time, and not too unrealistic at any rate], or you can use handcuffs and the only way they can break free is by another player physically breaking the cuffs, or with the Handcuff Keys.

Exsssscellent.

Edited by bobotype3334